Maria no Danzai - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Is that love or or is it arrogance

Dex-chan lover
Right, I feel like it’s too rushed. Like let us empathise with the boy and his mom a bit more THEN kill him just like the ch showed. It was good. I just didn’t really feel pity/sad cuz i didn’t have time to know and feel for the character.

Well, wtv, mom do your worst now. I want unhinged rage and torture 🫶

Dex-chan lover
I think there's Korean drama like this and another manga like this (but that one is on hiatus).
I hope it's psychological revenge where the bully suffers from living.

It's stuff like this that make me second guess my morals and say fuck that some people really do deserve the worst this world has to offer

People are saying the mom on video is not her but the way these panels are placed makes it confusing. You have her calling dad, talks about son, hangs up, then says “that wasn’t the problem”. Then comes the next panel with a video of her butt naked with an ugly bastard, almost as to insinuate that the problem could be the video.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I would've gone with “Mary”, as “マリア” [Maria] is the Japanese name for Jesus's mother. Tho, “Maria” is certainly defensible on foreignizational grounds. Most people will not understand the 1:1 naming scheme tho, and I think that's a loss. There's a clear Jesus parallel with Kiritaka.
In probably at least the plurality of languages, it's rendered "Maria" in accordance with the Greek. The knowledge of the name in Japan (along with its first exposure to Christianity) was first brought by the Portuguese, who also render it "Maria".

It's not at all a big jump for English speakers old enough to be reading this.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Honestly the only way this gets stretched so the Mangaka can make a living (that is one of the primary reasons!) is that the bad guy lead knows who she is and why she's here.

And thus begins a cat and mouse game. I can already tell this is going to go the way of Queen Bee - you will see the FMC doing much more terrible and self-degrading things in order to extract her revenge. But who is playing who exactly? The Villain is already shown absolutely no regard for her son, in fact the key phrase "he escaped" with a disappointed look says volumes of how despicable this series will get. She'll do more than just **** before this is over. And not willingly at all.

Dex-chan lover
Irrelevant. This is English.
It's an English translation of a Japanese work set in Japan where the name was specifically and deliberately chosen. You may have had a mite of ground to stand on if not for the fact that the author gives the furigana マリア to 聖母 (which is normally pronounced せいぼ)-- a reality that's juxtaposed with the protagonist's name instead being "Mari", or マリ.

Trying to localize in the way you suggest impairs the context for the epithet affixed to her at the end of the chapter-- and that's on top of your suggestion intrinsically being a presumptuous overrule of deliberate authorial intention.

Even if it's for the sake of others understanding (and a literate adult that knows what a search engine is would easily understand-- I mean, it's not as there's nobody in the Anglosphere that's named "Maria"), your suggestion would be best as an after-chapter translation note.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Promising start. I hope this manga is in good pace. Don't want to see this story being rushed, or drags out too long.

Users who are viewing this thread