Mi-chan wa Kawaretai - Ch. 14 - Cat or Human

Dex-chan lover
This is a ROUGH CHOICE in this situation, and honestly, I kinda like it.

Hold on don't get your pitchforks out listen. Think about this as a setting for a different manga. Like a school romance. Mysterious girl, turns into a cat at night, MC is like "oh wow dang" and then the romance is forced because if the girl doesn't have her love reciprocated she's forced to live her life as a cat. Kind of a Little Mermaid thing, the ticking clock, the characters must confront their feelings before its too late... you get it.

Except here she didn't fall in love with a boy from her class. She fell in love with an older dude who likes cats. Everything is different now. There's a real element of tragedy here that wouldn't be there if this clock and barrier weren't there. I'm not gonna sit here and say its totally fine that they HAVE to have sex before they're adults or they turn into cats, that's unsettling and I don't like it. I suppose "do it" could mean something else entirely, we haven't heard what "it" is and they keep talking about catgirls choosing to be cats or people, which implies something that can be done with your own will rather than a thing people have to agree to.

But the broad idea of someone running out of time to be loved is a classic of the romance genre, and this setup could work with no wrinkles at all in a different setting. A more cliche'd one would have literally no issues involved. Because of this, that makes the spin on this one feel weighty and sad in a way that it otherwise wouldn't.

I don't know how long this manga is, but there's a whole layer of characterization to deal with still. "Am I worthy" already came up, but there's a big looming "is this really what she should be doing" feeling that is just sort of hanging there. Shouldn't she find someone else? Why me? You know, those. But here that has actual weight; MC's been put in a situation where he's responsible for how the rest of a kid's life works out because she has a crush on him. That's unfair to him and dangerous for her. Working through those feelings would be a pretty strong arc and great ground for characterization.

It seems like the story is entering its final arc, hope that the author won't drag it out for too long

Dex-chan lover
Ah, so she was a human before she was a cat.

So we can't use the excuse of "she is an adult in cat years" anymore.

Dex-chan lover
She told him. Good. Now we have to wait for her to make a decision. Human or cat?

Mi-chan working gives Iori some relief since their in the same building, and it doubles the income.

Dex-chan lover
Reading this again, I don't see any reason why they couldn't have made her 18. The curse could need to be broken by 21 and made the male lead could his early 20's. The FL doesn't got to school or do much of anything, and ML looks and acts like he's in his 20's.

I think part of it is that she wants to bang only if he wants it not out of obligation cause it would keep her human
That’s exactly what I was thinking. She doesn’t want to tell him and then him be like “oh well I guess we’ll have to do it then so you’ll stay human”. If it’s gonna happen then she wants it to happen naturally because he loves her and wants to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread