Mieruko-chan - Vol. 2 Ch. 14.2

Isn't the spirit just pointing upwards, towards the mountain summit?

With the mountain being called Spirit Bell, there's probably a shrine somewhere up there. Maybe the spirit was just telling Miko that she should pray there properly too?

Dex-chan lover
That ghost did not get Vanquished, and it knows Miko can see it. That's not good.

Dex-chan lover
Is Julia having a weird habit now?
Just wrap a hand around her neck & she'll go limb...

Dex-chan lover
Cant she just give up her social life and become a shrine maiden under the protection of the Inaru god? I mean it'll not only save her sanity to be under protection but it'll also save my heart because jesus christ I'm scared for her.

Contributor
Reminds me of the annoying bud spiders youkai from the Okami game. anyone know what they would be in japanese folklore?

Dex-chan lover
Dear god, haven't felt this sorry for a manga character in a lot time. Poor girl is just trying her best. Both Hana and Julia are really harmful to her in different ways, but she is too good to leave them. She needs a better solution to her problem.

Dex-chan lover
This girl is horribly obnoxious.
Her life is hard enough as it is, she don't need this selfish haughty midget making it even more hard.

Dex-chan lover
I think after 3 she owes the god something cuz iirc she said she’d do anything and the god responded with 3 which many people guessed as 3 chances. It’s pretty worrisome

Fed-Kun's army
I really don't think she should be brushing this thing aside. When this uber spirit tells you three times and its little sprite holds up a one after protecting you, you start freaking your shit.

I wonder if it's going to ask for some sort of payment after the third time.

Dex-chan lover
We've still never actually seen a ghost interact with a person directly have we? So scary as they are, we haven't seen if they can hurt or kill people

Dex-chan lover
there's plot, so there's a chance to finally have her get a happy life 😳

Dex-chan lover
@givemersspls I pretty sure it's because she prayed at their shrine. She was shown three fingers by the shrine god(probably a sign that he'll protect her three times) and one by the god's servant (probably telling her that she only has one more chance left of being protected by them)

We're not sure if after the third time, the shrine god will request something of her since they fulfilled their duty, or if they'll just simply abandon her to fend for herself against those "things"

Dex-chan lover
@CelticMutt
i know that but thats also the part that never made sense to me, yu should need less pwer to see more powerful ghosts

Dex-chan lover
The real evil spirits were the the friends we made along the way

Fed-Kun's army
@remiska

That's only if you're seeing it from a standard "power output" perspective.

Essentially, with spirits and energy outputs, it's the frequency they are on that matters. Lower level spirits are closer to our frequency, and thus, more likely to be visible. More powerful beings are on such a different level only those on the right wavelength can make them out.

Thus, Gods and such must make mortal avatars (a mortal anchor) to even be present in this world for any length of time (in traditional Hindu belief), whereas lower level demons and ghosts can have an easier time of it.

Dex-chan lover
@Kirime I doubt its that, mostly because counting with fingers has been done with them before and as such this time is likely related, and since mc didnt seem to have any inclinations to visit a shrine in the mountain at end of this chapter (stories often have characters understand what they are supposed to do next to further plot, simply cause author does and doesn't see alternative and more likely interpretations of events). But it is possible you are right. In which case mc not understanding what she is meant to do shows up as a plot point later (as a form of subversion of the author tunnel-vision "trope").

My guess is that while she did barter with her "anything" and make a deal with the god, it is likely he accepted the payment she threw into the box as the offering/payment. It might seem a bit cheap to bribe a god with material wealth, but in a world where they are real and do possess shrines I also think it makes sense that the customary offerings and ways to pray would be the legit ones. It could also be that simply the act of praying is enough, and as a medium served as a ritual to supply some form of power (which could be why it appeared and listened to prayers in the first place). This way she simply have to pray again to further her protection, or possibly just need to devote more to it such as becoming a "miko" (someone who sweeps shrine and prays often; a recurring "customer").
Mostly I think this as it is at least partly a comedy manga, so it taking a dark turn with her offering "anything" and it taking "everything" feels a bit farfetched.

Also, I really wish she had a proper sitdown with the weak girl to tell her what is up. Somewhere that has none of the spirits (such as the shrine), or at most some small ones as weak medium showed its safe to acknowledge their existence. The whole misunderstanding trope is annoying here and in the way its used. And I feel mc needs someone she could confide in.

Dex-chan lover
Ÿ̴̡͔̮̹̖̮̼̘̞͙̺́̈́̐̂̐́̒̄̅̓͝͠O̷̡̡͓̥̝͖̞̖͓̣̝̙̙͐̉̾͛͐̄̈́̈́̎̔͘͜͠͝ͅǛ̴͇̮̤͋̀͋͊̇͝ ̸̨̖͎͚̥̮̮͆͋͛̔̋̎̕C̷͎͈̖̥̻͚̗͔̞͖̜͂͑̍̌͂̋̓͂̂̅͗͐͑͜͝Ǎ̸̳̣̞̣̫̱͓̗̈́͌̏̀͊͘ͅŅ̷̯̪̟͎̱̦͚̲͗̔̑ ̶͙͚̗͉̣̰̰̗̗͍͑ͅS̸̫͎̙̋̓̋̓̆̈́̊͘͘Ë̷̢͔͍̳̪͍̖͔̜̫́̀ͅȨ̶̛̙͕̜̥̻̯͓̭̻͙̫̼͔̓͗̈́̅̑̀͜͝ ̶̟̩̆̀̓̿͋̀̏Ḿ̴̢͇͙͇̬͉͈̤͖̝̝̩͜Ę̵̧̤̘͔̟̣̤̟̥̝͚͉͛̈́̀̒̉͊̎͝

Dex-chan lover
she really should go to the temple and ask the fox god some training, she has 2 more saves before she's actually fucked

Users who are viewing this thread