Mieruko-chan - Vol. 2 Ch. 15

I'm pretty sure that with this plot Julia saw Miko give the axe man the death stare.

Dex-chan lover
@Varric Done.

@Blueberry_McFuckerson It's only the 15th chapter. The pace feels slow because it's a biweekly series, but the story is clearly progressing. We're slowly learning the mechanics of how the supernatural works in the manga. Each chapter reveals a bit more information while building up Miko's strength. The axe murderer ghost is the first one in 15 chapters who's been shown to actively attack people. So now we know that some ghosts do attack humans but they're doing it to catch other ghosts. We also know that being haunted may have ill effect on your physical well-being and that, paradoxically, spirit cannibalism can be helpful to people.

Miko is also starting to analyze her predicament. This is THE FIRST CHAPTER in which Miko actually reflected on her experience with previous encounters to decide her course of action. Remember that last time she was on the verge of being attacked by drum ghost, so all her instincts must have screamed at her to run from axe ghost, but she drew on her experience and decided to sit there. She actually made a very important bet to trust that the ghost couldn't harm her if it didn't know she could see it, and it worked.

Dex-chan lover
the hunter ghost is cool guy i really want to know why he hunts other ghosts and who is he

Dex-chan lover
@sssr
She actually made a very important bet to trust that the ghost couldn't harm her if it didn't know she could see it, and it worked.

My impression is that this ghost would not have hurt her even if she had communicated that she could see him.
Not all ghosts are evil, we already know that, right?
Like so wander with the purpose of hunting other beings or living for malicious purposes some could do the same without malicious intent. This one was clearly hunting for ghost that were doing harm to humans. My doubt is if he stopped at the second strike, but hit her with the first strike. He felt something, maybe he felt her fear with the first strike and stopped the second one.
In which case he clearly didn't wanted to cause her harm.

Dex-chan lover
Ok.... so whoever says he stopped his strike or that he made a second strike but stopped are clearly blind.
The ghost attacked only ONCE! His axe passed through her like it did with every other person on the train. The second panel where we see her blank stare and the blade right in front of her face as lines that imply the axe is being PULLED BACK after the strike. The ghost did NOT notice that she could see him.

I agree with @Hamin though.

It looks like the ghost ‘ghost hunter’ swiped the axe on Miko then there’s this panel where he paused and retracted his weapon away from her. It’s like a lumberjack finding out he couldn’t chop or maybe, shouldn’t be chopping this particular wood. Suddenly, there was an announcement that the train arrived on another station which the ghost hunter just turned away to look at the arrivals.

But he didn’t went for them immediately or continued hacking on living people beside her (if he did, her brother was next or skip to the next people in line with their seats), he just stood there with his axe resting on his shoulder as he evaluated the poker-faced Miko. And his stance was quite a bit like smug bastard looking down at something Then the next panel, he didnt spend more time to observe more of her reaction and went about chopping the new arrivals.

But these consecutive panels could be interpreted in another way: (1) he looked away from Miko as he saw the new passengers, (2) he didn’t gave any last glance to her way as he readied himself to start his work, and (3) then he proceeded chopping and collecting more souls from the living.

I’d like to know if the ghost had an inkling that Miko is quite different among the crowd. Did he realized that she is cursed/blessed with stronger psychic abilities, or that she is being protected by a divine god, or something else which the author is just leaving behind with no or less dialogue to confirm some theories but only plot for us readers to interpret in this story.

Hhm, no one else thought of another possibility that the “thing” the axe guy got was the spirit of the girl next to her? I mean, yeah he can’t harm the others when he chops at them, but what if there’s a requirement so he can chop and harvest your soul/spirit?

Group Leader
This author is so friggin great. Look at how much we're discussing what's going on. We're trying to figure out the rules of the universe, and it's making the manga way more interesting.

Double-page supporter
glad to see Miko getting a bit more used to her ability

Dex-chan lover
@Panino This ghost is just behaving similarly to Hana's ghost as far as we can tell. Hana's ghost also "protected" her in the haunted building. Doesn't mean it's benevolent. We already know spirit cannibalism is a thing, and that it usually leads to even scarier spirits, like drum ghost. Axe ghost just looks like it may be nice because that bag hasn't bloated into an eldritch monstrosity like drum ghost's evolved drum. This manga has been implying that, other than with gods like Inari, letting cannibalistic spirits know you can see them is a double no-no.

Double-page supporter
Ghost hunter has potential to be a regular like the god and the priestess, that axe with barbed wire looks like a cool weapon withsome heavy lore.
But I have a question of how that lady in the store died, it's like she was pierced by a large pipe that also twisted her neck.

Dex-chan lover
Guys, guys, here's the thing.

These spirits, they won't die. I mean, they're dead, so they can't die twice. You see them being eaten by other, stronger spirits, but they don't actually, well... they don't cease to exist. When a big spirit eats a small spirit, a head or a face will always show up somewhere in its body. The smaller spirits are merging into the bigger spirits. Take a look at the legendary chapter 11. When the spirit ate the two servants, their faces showed on its body. Then, after the "god" ate the spirit, he produced the servants back from his body. These spirits are eternal.

Since eating smaller spirits means getting stronger/gaining more spirit energy or chi or whatever, strong spirits are more likely than often to have a body no longer in human shape, with the exception being the guy from the alley (chapter 6).

Here's my hypothesis.

1. The form of the spirits is heavily influenced by their residual thought or memory from when they're alive. In many cases, the spirits are either wearing school uniform, work uniform, or just plain working attire. The guy from chap 6 wore a standard-issue industrial attire, the grandpa from chap 11 was wearing his suit, and you can see various spirits wearing school uniform. Of course, it doesn't just show their clothes. The four-headed gal spirit from chap 5, for example. They're so "in sync" they became one spirit. Still in chapter 5, the spirit with pussy as her mouth. I think you get the point already.
2. These spirits are poor and lonely beings. It's proven that spirits cannot make any contact with people who can't see them. No matter how they tried, they just can't. However, this rule might not be absolute. Perhaps, by getting stronger, it will be easier for normal people to notice them. Perhaps, these spirits just want to be noticed once again by the people they love. However, the only way to get stronger is to devour weaker spirits. And by devouring, they also intake these spirits' grudge, memories, and residual thoughts. They start to lose themselves, in their attempt to be with the people they love.
3. Now, we know (or assume) that these spirits just want to be a part of the normal life once again, but why are they keep bothering our Miko-chan? Well, isn't it because Miko can see them clearly? They wouldn't need to bet their sanity if Miko could be the "bridge" between them and the people they care. Miko, is their single salvation.
4. The deities. They are there to correct the wrongs. Spirits that have lost their humanity. People who try to bridge the world of the dead and the world of the living. These entities will surely bring imbalance to the system, so someone has to "mod" them.
5. And then we have the irregulars. Like Miko's dad, the cat spirits, and basically every spirit that, oddly enough, seems pleasing to the eye. I don't know what differs them from the rest, but we know for sure that these kinds of spirit share the same quality; they are at peace.

TL;DR don't judge a spirit by its appearance

@mister_nobody woa im super lucky to click on the comment sections right 3 minutes after your comment. Your theory is spot on and very plausible.

Double-page supporter
Yeah, but you've left out the fact, that there are small weak spirits, which do not look human.
Maybe they were butchered into limbs before they had died? Or maybe even after their deaths, thanks to other spirits?
Anyway, I also wonder why some spirits manage to remain conscious, while others just become a repeating record. Maybe being stable is only possible with sufficient emotional power, which only insane minds can provide in a long term?

Users who are viewing this thread