Mushoku no Eiyuu - Vol. 4 Ch. 21

Dex-chan lover
I mean I understand the budget cut, but no need to be a jerk about it. Like this dude a practitioner of a magic so dangerous many countries deemed it illegal

Black magic prohibited for reasons, stronger than other element except light or holy, and have many negative effects, and it's really bad to taunt a black magic researcher because nobody can guess what would he do in tournament

Dex-chan lover
@Macrendil
It is actually a rather common practice you know. There are 3 ways you handle things like these. Either integrate it into the everyday lives of people, or outlaw it completly.

A great real world example of this would be gun ownership. To some, guns are just a tool similar to a fork, an ax, a hammer, etc. These people would be the members of the Black Magic Academy.

Then to others, it is a terrifyingly dangerous object that has 0 positive benefits, and abhors the idea of letting anyone own one or more of them, even if they pass all of the checks set in place, because there is always this unknown worry that said person could snap one day and kill someone with it. These people are represented by the parts of their world that ban Black Magic.

The third group do not dislike the concept of gun ownership, but also know and understand the legitimate worry about letting the wrong people have one. These groups will try to regulate and/or observe the usage and ownership, as well as make a set of guildlines and rulings for why, where, when and how things concerning gun control will work. This is all so that those who belong to one or even both groups can exist and be satisfied within reason simultaneously. The man setting the budgets here is a member of this group. He won't outlaw it if it can prove to have a positive use or benefit. But will outlaw it if it can't be shown to be worth the money.

Dex-chan lover
So is our MC gonna compete in the tournament? He belongs to all the academies so that might get a bit confusing. He’ll probably still find a way to win

Dex-chan lover
@SilverSeagleLive the thing is, the town has been cutting their budget for a long time. And I wouldn't be surprised if the cuts started because of a prejudice against black magic. Now that the lack of money is affecting what they can produce the town can use the lack of advances as their excuse for cutting the budget even further. This way they can say they aren't changing their stance on black magic even though they are actively trying to shut the school for black magic down

@JavelinJoe
The analogy I would draw is a bit different. Magic in general should be likened to firearms and should only be used by trained professionals overseen by a strict government (i.e. defense & law personel only). All magic, after all, is dangerous when used. Black magic would then be classified the same way as hollow-points, full-auto or high caliber. The 'next step up' as it were.

I would however disagree with the notion that magic is the same as guns, since magic helps with f.e. healing, construction, inventive progress and energy while the only use of guns is to propel a piece of metal with lethal force at a target. (People with guns kill 10.000% more people without, hence making guns decidedly more evil than, say, a hockeystick if you argue guns are a hobby. At least hockey gives teambuilding and social interaction).

Therefore, a better analogy would be that magic is a 'material', like metals. It can be used in construction or to make tools while it can also be used to make weapons. Some materials are better at different things, so f.e. TnT can be used in mines to clear debris but also as a means to blow up people (and when mr. Nobel found out his creation was used for war, he used his money to create the Nobel-prizes which, for SOME reason, don't include a war prize but a peace prize).

Dex-chan lover
@stilgar the thing is now is affecting his research, so he didn't had the problem last year and still the principal isn't presenting anything, if they have those meetings it's painfully obvious that he should know that he needs to show his research at least once a year (or the research of the students).

but from what it looks, the black magic principal is a full scholar, he didn't care for anything but his research (not a good thing if he's in charge of management too)

Group Leader
You got me there, I never expect a vtubers as a credit page polmao

Dex-chan lover
Oh man, the names of those principals are so clever. Yep. Absolutely clever. The cleverest. Totally.

Dex-chan lover
Bruh, looks like someone got lazy, or was drunk when they came up with the names for the principals
lol

Users who are viewing this thread