Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~ - Vol. 12 Ch. 58 - Unspeakable Strength

Dex-chan lover
@no168_92 It might be a rampant problem over there, but you still can't compare the two as equals. It's like comparing your inability to eat burgers everyday to dying children out of starvation and saying "I know how that feels."

Dex-chan lover
what? why did the author have to now introduce slavery? Whatever happened to hiring someone for fair pay?

Magonote introduce slavery way back when Rudeus still in his Dead End party, right? They just didn't thought about slave because there's no need to because there was Ruijerd. cmiiw

Dex-chan lover
@Acolytus Where did the story treat this as Rudeus being 'heroic and kind'? Like no where at all. If anything the happy faces at the end were because it worked out and they got the slave they wanted. No one is saying he's a hero but he did save the little girl. You can save someone without being some kinda hero.

As for depression...you must not know anything about depression. Depression doesn't care if your'e first world or if you're from a fantasy world. And massive depression can come from little things. There is a reason why depression is considered a mental condition, because it doesn't follow 'conventional logic'. Someone could become suicidal over getting a B on their test. You're also missing the point massively. the MC was not depressed because he was a NEET, his depression led him to shutting himself in and becoming a Hikikomori and a NEET. In other words he was an 'awful human being' because he was depressed. We don't actually know what caused his depression in the first place. We just know some of the factors that made it worse.

Right now you sound like someone who read only this chapter, and read it rather poorly. Because he never even compared the lives they lived, only the fact that he has seen depression of that level before. Doesn't matter why he was depressed, he's not trying to justify anything, he's stating a fact. That's like saying "I've seen blind obedience like this before" when talking about someone loyally following their leader, and then comparing it to a cult. That's not saying the cult is right, or that the leader is like a cult, that's like saying the 'blind obedience' is the same. Nothing else has to be the same or even comparable.

Edit: @Redice you should read this too.

Dex-chan lover
@Redice

well. it's difficult to truly understand other's perspective. even in your empathy score is high. analogies can only go so far...

e.g. too poor and you feel helpless, too rich and you feel a sense of emptiness... (most commonly seen in suicidal rich artist though not gonna name any)

my advice, best not to think too hard about it and just enjoy the read...

Fed-Kun's army
@Acolytus First, he's not saying that to himself, but to Fitts, whom have a worrying look at him, especially considering his early suggestion.

He's portrayed as being heroic in the eyes of his two companions since, no matter how you look at it, he still saved the child and able to at least converse with her. Nobody else would've been able to do that. That's a fact. They can't even speak the language.

He's not trying to justify himself nor is he saying that his situation is just as worse as hers either. Nobody hates his previous life more than he does himself. This is one of the reasons why he hates Hitogami at first (aside from him being shady as hell) , because he's always reminded of his former self he wants to cast aside. In this scene though, he's simply acknowledging that if he lacked the will to live back then, he should just end it by suicide. He couldn't, not anymore, so maybe he'll give her a chance to do it. "If living is too painful, I can just let it end here."

While what he does afterwards are him being a POS, he didn't become a recluse due to selfish reason, you know? He's been publicly humiliated.

@WillLi That's mangadex comment section, none of them can distinguish tones of text. So they all take it at face value and get offended, the best you can do is just sit and laugh like I do. This chapter went from 1 to 100 real fast and I'm personally excited to see where the story goes and might just pick up the novel now after reading this manga for so long.

Dex-chan lover
I've read a lot of comments about the novel where people were outraged and ragequit it because Rudeus was "too wimpy, self-centered and plain scum", despite the fact that most of them had been reading the WN version from the very beginning (the very first paragraph already depicts him as pure scum in both WN and LN, but the WN does a better job due to lack of filter). I wonder why there are still so many people that suddenly randomly find that Rudeus is no knight on shining armor and get outraged, their dream shattered...

Dex-chan lover
@WillLi Basically you're saying starvation is all the same, whether it's starvation over choosing not to eat anything but burgers or starvation over being chained in a cage with no food. Sure I get what you're saying. Doesn't make the former any less pathetic though.

@no168_92 Agreed. As I said, he's right on track with his character role anyway, and it pretty much is a joke one can't just take seriously.

Fed-Kun's army
@angerybord Slavery, at least in most kingdoms on this world, isn't bad. They are usually used as workforce or bodyguards. Sure, there are exceptions like some nobles can take note liberties in their "services." That's more of the fault of nobilities though, not the slavery system.

Fed-Kun's army
@Redice Starvation is different from depression. They are, in no possible way, comparable to each other. Understand that, and you can proceed with the discussion properly.

Some comments that I don't see: Rudeus's vision of a slave differs from theirs. ; "The worst slave owners were kind" ; Also, the economics of slavery seem to be extremely skewed in this world.

@Acolytus fucking preach

Dex-chan lover
@Redice Starvation is starvation. Not being able to eat hamburgers is not starvation. But Rudeus is not saying that his -suffering- is the same. He is saying his -feeling- was the same. Basically you're saying that people don't get suicidal now a days over things that most people would consider 'not a big deal' because of depression. Because that is what you're saying by denying Rudeus' statement. He said the -feeling- was the same not the suffering.

Dex-chan lover
@adfjs
I guess i can get behind the idea of him getting sanitized to the matter over his 15 years in this world. And it didn't look like he just had a moment of aversion to the whole slave concept here.
Unlike MC from Isekai Meikyuu de Harem wo where he goes from "How am I, a modern Japanese man, could do something lowly as buying a slave" to "Oh shit, gotta farm moniez or some ugly fuck's gonna buy that sexy beast-girl before me" in less than a chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread