Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~ - Vol. 12 Ch. 58 - Unspeakable Strength

Fed-Kun's army
@4V29LN0n Because, in the long term, slaves are much more cost-efficient especially in the lack of manpower? They aren't pro-slavery though. Human resources are just not as abundant as today, thus it's a pain in the ass to get someone to apply to do your work. They also don't have social media so they can't exactly spread the fact that they're employing that effectively. There are lots of advantages to it which a lot of people don't seem to get. Contrary to what I seem to sound like, I'm not at all advocating for slavery, but just saying that forcing your morals to a (fantasy) world isn't gonna do anyone any good. They have their own morals and we have ours. As long as they are consistent with their own sets of rules, there's nothing to complain about.

Also what @optiso said.

Aggregator gang
Thanks for the treat guys. This comment section is definitely gonna taste better than the Christmas dinner I'm gonna eat at. Nothing beats incel tears. Especially the tears of incels crying about slavery in fiction

Dex-chan lover
Why are people so surprised with slavery when there exists companies like Deliveroo in modern world?

Contributor
@chusetto
It's easier to hate a visible evil. As in, one where you don't have to rationally justify why it's evil, just point and say EVIL!

Dex-chan lover
@4V29LN0n: Most aren't 'pro' slavery really, but in harem setting they're used to quickly add a character to the party while also ensuring their 'loyalty' through some kind of magical contract.

Frankly though, I think most people are triggered by the word 'slavery' rather than the act itself.

I mean, if enslaving a sentient being to do your biddings even against their own will is such a bad thing, how the heck are Pokemon so loved (and I can imagine someone saying 'but he's a good owner' without realizing the irony)

The isekai mc's from modern japan should know slavery is bad. But they never showed any reluctance getting a slave for their harem.

Authors should know slavery is bad. It's a fictional world. There's no rule that says the isekai world needs slavery. Authors can work around it. But you see them everywhere in these isekai stories, in the creepiest way possible.

If it's a trope, it's disgusting the way it's handled in these isekai stories.

Dex-chan lover
@adfjs
You seem to be the one who doesn't get it. Depression is an illness. It's not about feeling down because something terrible happened to you

Dex-chan lover
Some clarity for folks who don't get it:

- Rudeus's face when slavery is brought up? Not so much as an eye twitch. Seems that prior to this chapter he had already accepted slavery to be as mundane as the air he breathes.

-At no point was Rudeus's thought process anything remotely close to "I want to save someone".

-He was about to kill her. No seriously, did it look like he was joking? If she said she wanted to die what do you think he would've done, walk off?

The point of this chapter wasn't heroics, it was empathy. People are getting empathy confused with sympathy here. He had no sympathy for her "suffering" as a slave, hell we don't even know why she was sold nor does that matter since it wasn't the point of his exchange with her in this chapter.

Rudeus empathized with the lack of hope in her eyes. I felt like that was very well done (I admit I popped off a bit, that was hype). If his life were to turn around a bit more then perhaps he'd find it in his heart to become the hero for someone else that Roxy was to him, and we could see a spark of hope for that in this chapter. Unfortunately it seems to only be a passing thought, though I feel like it is very human of him not to have progressed far enough in character development to be a less self-serving person yet.

Anything else you read in this comment section is probably just projection. Buying a slave isn't saving slaves, ending slavery is saving slaves. Rudeus has no intention of doing the latter, he's not being "portrayed by the manga as a hero" like some people think he is, and there is nothing cliche about slavery existing in a fantasy manga when the real thing was legal only 150 years ago IRL (and is still happening illegally in the form of trafficking tbh).

Dex-chan lover
@4V29LN0n
You make a lot of assumptions on a few things:
1- Slavery is not "bad". Slavery has a lot of negative connotations and is, in general, not something good to have anywhere but that is because it cause a lot of economical problems for the society that has it and not for any moral reason, though there are moral reasons for not having slavery as well.
2- Slavery is a necessity for low technological societies. For more that there are negative aspects to slavery it also has positive ones and some others that are not good nor bad but cause slavery to be obligatory for those societies.
*Those two are obvious for anyone with even minimal knowledge of history.
3- It would be unrealistic and a loss of opportunity to not have slavery in the setting as it opens a lot of possibilities for the story.
4- Your problem is the mere existence of slavery in the story, just like the people that get all bothered about fan-service, and it doesn't matter how it is implemented you will always hold that same opinion, which is a stupid thing to do. Slavery is usually portrayed in Isekai as something that exist and the way the MC interact with it are 3: They don't like it and do what they can to stop it from existing, for some reason end up getting slaves themselves and treating them as companions instead of slaves or get slaves to use as slaves. In the first two situations there is very little to complain about it and the last one is usually for when the MC is not someone that should be liked by the reader or are some "bad person" type character and there are very little problems with all three ways. I would understand it if this were some story that romanticize slavery, like some stories do where the slave is willing to be a slave and does so because of some romantic reason like in Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, but even that kind of representation of slavery is not unrealistic.

Group Leader
Can we just talk about the new girl and what she will do and not wax poetic on an internet forum please?

Dex-chan lover
"I don't want to die."

Any good man who can see everything would react the same way.

This scene right here are one of the many scenes in this story that is very, very profound in this story. The execution by the manga artist here is honestly very good in my opinion. What is the story of Rudeus Greyrat if not of survival? of triumph over tribulations? a story of how goddamn easy it is for someone to find salvation through the whims of chance but also how easy it is to simply wither away if you did not take it. Its also about how salvation, can lead you to ruins, or a dark, dark place. How whimsical life can be, the cruelties of the world, and also the joys of living. this scene shows but one aspect of what Mushoku Tensei have to show us in its entirety. You can nitpick whatever you want from this scene but please acknowledge the message of this scene. Acknowledge What the author wants to tell us first and foremost because if you don't, then you miss out on the beauty of the storytelling in this story. And that's just sad.

Fed-Kun's army
@Bramia Care to elaborate when did I ever say that's the case? I only said that someone doesn't need to be in a shit situation to be as depressed as someone who is in one.

Aggregator gang
I don't get why people b*tching about slavery "IN A DIFFERENT WORLD WITH DIFFERENT CULTURE ". To be honest, this was actually why i love mushoko tensei. They don't force our culture, our moral or other sh*t into isekai. Thats why it was isekai in the first place, a different world than ours, so stop applying our common sense or belief in a fictional story with a setting as a different world. And despite Rudy being a japanese in his past life, that was his past and currently he was living in that world for 15 years as "Rudy" not as a japanese....So its not surprising to see him adapt and think like an "ordinary" person. "Ordinary" in that world where slaves are just common occurrence, where people fight with magical beast not ordinary in our world where slavery is taboo and people live their lives peacefully...

Users who are viewing this thread