Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~ - Vol. 12 Ch. 58 - Unspeakable Strength

Group Leader
One of the few moments while I was still reading the light novel that shocked me after hearing Rudeus's question.

Double-page supporter
the heck? without his glasses and that bowl haircut he might be handsome?

Fed-Kun's army
This is a great chapter showing how far our mc has made it in life

Double-page supporter
MC is a Gary Stu
People: Omg, why is he so perfect. Zzzzz So lame....

MC has a flaw.
Same Peoples: Omg, why does the MC has a flaw? Zzzzz Shouldn't MC be perfect??

I have no words for how much this irks me.

Rudy's actions of empathy as stated by previous commenters are not to be confused with heroics or sympathy. Rudy is a great character before he is a great hero which is why I love him so much.

@Acolytus

In my opinion, many people argue with you because they remember MC from the novel because in later volume MC keep getting better and better as a person.

But in this part which is vol. 8 iirc, MC still have many flaws, we should note that he almost decide to let's himself be killed in previous volume (the Quagmire Arc which is entirely skipped in manga version). Because of such skip, we don't have time to explore his complex about dysfunctional erectile and relationship with opposite gender.

The part about his inner monologue is same with novel but lack of foreword in the novel this scene start with MC thinking about seeing naked slave and his dysfunctional erectile, MC tend to enter his depression state every time anything arouse him and in this scene the novel explain about him seeing naked little girl (ofc novel have no pic of how she is just a bone) so the author try to defend MC with his inner monologue, but it seem that it backfire on itself when it come to manga.

Contributor
@Terasaki
Something political according to the new rules.

@hikufalafel
It's hard to make a scummy character that everyone likes. But Rudy is very love-or-hate, even with that.

@gigagiga
Rudy is not a hero, he himself admits it. He just tries to do good for those that he cares around him. I do like him as a character, though.

@DragonTiger
When I reached this part in the novel, I thought she'd somehow gain Rudy's magic mastery and capacity and become another member of his lineup.

Double-page supporter
Ok, I can see the gist of what the comments are all uppity about. First of all, let's address the slavery issue. Yes, slavery is wrong. There is no doubt about that, and I'm sure Rudy knows that as well. Rudy probably also understands that this is this world's methods and ways, as stated so in the chapter. Even if he feels that this isn't right, he understands this isn't his world. Also, we need to understand that Rudy is still just a hikikomori/neet/loser that still has many flaws that he carries with him. Even if many of you guys want him to do something about it because he's supposed to be the "hero" of the story and he's very powerful, Rudy is still someone who is in the making of understanding what it means to be a truly good person. He's still in the process. Not just that, he can't really just suddenly try to upheave something that's been ingrained within this society. It takes huge political movements and so on, something most likely too big for Rudy to handle. Nor does he have the time or the confidence to do anything like that. Even "Fitz" understands that this is the norm in this world, and it was Fitz who suggested this method of getting a slave to do the work in the first place. It's going to take a while to have people understand that this is wrong and for movements to happen. They emancipation movement in America didn't just happen over night, it was years in the making and years of progress that it had to go through,

And in answering that issue, we answered a little bit of the second issue. Rudy's character issue. I think Rudy is perfectly fine as a character. He has flaws, and people need to accept that. Rudy himself doesn't look upon himself as some great hero or stand up moral figure. And that's the thing, any good character in any form of literature and media will have flaws. Perfectly good beings don't make for interesting characters within literature and media. Every single one of you have major flaws of some sort, so why are you angry that Rudy has flaws? So, he's a loli? Well, from the start, before being reborn, he was your average otaku neet, so that's not surprising. Just in this very comment section, I'm sure there are many that actually enjoy loli shit, so who are you all to judge? Sure, it's not a good thing to be attracted to kids, but I don't think the manga is making Rudy out to be someone to look up to as of right now. He's painted as a flawed being, and thus this is part of his flaws.

Dex-chan lover
@4V29LN0n I'm with you comrade.

Slavery is not bad, it's abhorrent. So is serf, indenture servitude, etc...
Slavery in a different world is bad just the same.
Slavery is def not a necessity.
Slavery as a setting is fine, however...
MC not doing anything to end slavery is bad.
MC not participating in the slave trade by not buying slave is morally grey and is "OK".
MC not making his life mission to end slavery in another world as he is not a hero is "OK".
MC actively supported slavery by buying slave from frakking slaver is wayyyy beyondd bad.
MC not having common sense to do everything in his power to end slavery is also frakking bad.
If you reincarnated to a world where slavery is common sense and then grew so accustomed to slavery that you don't find slavery as bad anymore then you are the frakking bad guy. Rudeus knows slavery is bad.
Buying a slave isn't saving slaves, ending slavery is saving slaves killing slaver and freeing slave and ban slavery.
Slave uprising should be more common and even more brutal in these isekai.
Slavery magic should be frakking taboo. Imagine the possibilities.
It's a disgusting trope and is disgustingly handled in these isekai stories.

@Sweet_Seats
Imagine getting your moral compass switched to accepting enslaving fellow human as "normal" just because you reincarnated in a different world.

@WhimsiCat
Oh they are not pro, but not what I consider neutral either as they clearly take the stance of enabler.
Pokémon Black & White Team Plasma flashback

@mahtan
1+2) Bruh I can't even....😱 Who told you those lies? I would like some sources please.
3) Sure, as setting is fine. But realistically there should be hella lot more uprisings and discrimination.
4) Brah, you just proved his point on how manga handle the slavery question.
> They don't like it and do what they can to stop it from existing
Too few. I can remember only one at the top of my head of one MC who actively try to kill slaver as he came across them and freeing slave.
> for some reason end up getting slaves themselves and treating them as companions instead of slaves
This is one too commonly used disgusting trope. This romanticize slavery as normal and not "bad".
> get slaves to use as slaves
Straight up horrible.

https://fee.org/articles/ten-reasons-not-to-abolish-slavery/
"Somebody needs to say a good word for slavery." - Jack Kershaw

Fed-Kun's army
f64.jpg

Dex-chan lover
"Even I'm not going to get excited over a girl that's all skin and bones"
And then he proceeds to kneel to hide his boner

Dex-chan lover
@Kaiser92
Yeah, no.
Go do your own research because I'm not going to go look for it just to present to you. I don't save everything I study, just take the information not where it came from.
Now you are wrong when you say slavery is abhorrent. Slavery has existed since the start of society and only stopped when it's use became unsustainable, I mean it still exists but not legally and cause economical problems for the places where it happens.
Now just a reminder, since it seems you don't actually knows anything other than what is told to you, blacks where not the only nor the first slaves, slavery existed in asia and europe and egypt before africa was visited and the slaves where, legally at least, not anyone but criminals that had the choice of being killed or become slaves, people that were drowned in debt with no way to pay it or people that were sold by their families because the family had no way to feed itself (which at the time meant they would all die if not for being sold in slavery).
Slavery was also not the way you think about it, there were laws and regulations that defined what the slaves could be made to do, what could be done to them and how long the slave would stray in that condition (whether that was followed or not is another subject which can't actually be verified). Off course every region had a different rule on that subject so not all regulations were the same everywhere.

Now why slavery was a necessity: Work force. Work at the time was problematic and there was no way to secure large production of materials without slave labor as any other method would be both too costly, meaning the price of the products, including food, would be too high and that would cause inflation and famine, and not efficient enough, making the production not be enough and cause the price to be too high causing famine again. Also the whole alternative to death penalty thing and giving poor people a choice other than dying or becoming criminals and being killed, population volume was a scarce resource in those times after all.
You have the privilege of looking at the situation from the seat of the most advanced time in our history where machines do most of the work on everything and we have the global market that makes slave labor be not desirable as it negatively impacts the global market heavily.

Basically nothing is good nor bad, the situation and time period that defines it as necessary or undesirable.

edit: Something I forgot is to talk about the uprising thing in the Isekai world and you are wrong. Slaves as presented in Isekai have a few quirks: They were criminals and have some magic to force them to obey, they are people that understand why they are there and have enough honor to fulfill their contracts or they were sold and are kept by magic or fear. The sole existence of "combat slave" tells us that there are some way to control these people so they don't revolt nor anything stupid like that, as is the case in all Isekai with magic that has slaves. For this one I think that is the collar that they use that acts as a magical artifact to keep them in line though we have seen other slaves that does not have the collar so it might not be.

Imagine getting your moral compass switched to accepting enslaving fellow human as "normal" just because you reincarnated in a different world.
How many years he lives after reincarnation? People changes especially in long term and under society rules.

More strange when straight isekai'd people from modern developed society starts buy slaves left and right.

Users who are viewing this thread