Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~

@Azaleal Knowledge about how to make excuses and procrastinate work in a way that people think its not your fault and you didnt have another choice? Totally not speaking from experience

One of the few instances where the anime is better

I fairly enjoyed the series up until the
school
arc. This arc is just generic and boring as hell

If they could speed up the release process for this manga it could contend for one of the better isekai stories out there. At least until the more recent chapters which are a bit slow and generic.
The characters have been interesting and demonstrate their personalities well, the story has been mostly interesting and much more clearly laid out than most, the translators have been doing a fantastic job (thank fricking [REAALLY wanted to use expletive instead] god!)

A major problem with some manga/manhua/manhwa that have the potential to be great on their own (not considering LNs or WNs here) is that their release is so painfully slow that they fall into irrelevancy, people forget about then, or get tired of waiting and make the conscious decision to drop the story even when they really enjoy it and rate it highly.

Look, I get that it takes time and is a lot of work to produce quality work. I do. Writing a good story and keeping it that way is hard. Especially if the story isn't already written out beforehand and is getting adapted. Drawing well is also very hard and both require dedication. Some drawing ability, Solo Leveling comes to mind, blows me away with how well done it is.

I also understand burnout is a thing. My argument is still the same. Look at Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Tales of Demons and Gods (until recently), Volcanic Age, Detective Conan, I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty (off the top of the head, forgive me). They all, for the majority of their history, have had consistent releases. Only during an announced or expected hiatus/break have they slowed or halted temporarily before picking right back off at the same tempo. They have a large amount of content that has been released of which many have considered to be high quality and they all have found success in one way or another. You can argue which is better amongst them all day, I really don't care and it isn't important in this context.

However, if these are truly projects that the author(s) and their teams (if they have them) truly wish to be considered great and not just a waste a tremendous amount of time/effort for a short period of time to simply fail. They need to pick things up. Period.

Now, go back through your history and find all of the stories you thought were amazing which you personally forgot about, dropped, etc because of painfully slow or completely sporadic releases. You are 1 person on a planet with a population of 7.8billion. How many manga/manhua/manhwa readers are there? Who really knows, but that number is not small. If you lost interest or just straight up forgot about a story, surely there a many others across the world who have done so as well. Not to mention those in countries that speak languages other than your own where any given story may be more/less popular.

@Dogmans897 You nailed it. Half the time, I just try and forget most of the manga that I read and come back to them when it's finished or at least have a hundred chapters on them.

That kind of mindset will be detrimental if I was actually a paying customer. They'd lose important funding to continue their work and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

The description is incorrect, the main character simply wants to live life to the fullest, there's no such thing as becoming the strongest because that's not his goal. however the story is still top notch and the light novel is better. if you really need the visuals then read the manga because it's not bad but the light novel is so much better

It is astonishing how much the anime adaptation changed to make the male characters look like garbage. Do yourself a favor and just skip it entirely.

Dex-chan lover
"The knowledge of a Middle Aged Man"... I've known quite a few middle aged men who were dumber than children.

I have totally forgotten about this story due to such slow releases. I guess I should go the WN route for a while.

Oof, nah, with a start this terrible I'm out. How is this rated so high?

Not sure how you recover from a 5 year old kid (who is conveniently the most powerful magician ever at his age! Yawn.) convincing his mom that his dad raped their maid so it's okay to keep the maid around when he knocked her up- no matter how good you think this series gets, that well is straight up poisoned. Undertone matters.

Dude, this LN is the base of all the isekai genres. At least be grateful that all the magic systems makes sense and is explained with detail.

Isekai doesn't need more of: Rape, Slavery, Grooming of potential baby hosts (the past three all tend to go hand in hand!), seemingly effortless power acquirement (it makes the story boring), tension-less resolution of problems without ever encountering any real threats (I guess this series might handle that better later, but again- this makes for lazy and uninteresting writing). Within the first 10 chapters of the series I've seen all these things, except slavery (which from browsing through, seems to come later!).

If this is the base of all modern isekai, we can do much much better. Heck, we have much better (or at least different), see series like Saihate no Paladin, Beware of the Villainess!, Isekai Ojisan, and Gate. Even Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken, Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu, Shield Hero, and Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?, which are still guilty of some of the tropes, handle it better. For that matter, wouldn't something like El-Hazard, Rayearth, .Hack, or Spirited Away be among the first isekais- or even just for isekai tensei, Zero no Tsukaima?

I want to like the isekai genre, it has a lot of potential, but series like this are just not good and far outnumber the ones that feel like the writer actually tried instead of carbon copying all this other derivative junk.

Dex-chan lover
@unknownfactor
Apparently Mushoku Tensei was the Isekai to popularize those tropes in Isekai ( lolis, relationships/harems with underage girls, rape). The so call Mushoku Tensei is often labeled as the "grandfather" of Isekai and much Isekai has emulates itself after Mushoku Tensei. For fanbase, they feel that the writing, characters and presentation of Mushoku Tensei in the VN/manga/anime, is so good that they either willing to turn a blind eye to that aspect or they aggressively defend the lolis, relationships/harems with underage girls, rape.

There are legitimate criticism to be made about Mushoku Tensei but this is consider as a "Masterpiece" to the fanbase and everything can either be explained away ( saying stuff like
"I know he said he was grooming but actually..." or "character was rape but it wasn't so bad because she was fine and she actually liked the guy in the end" or "it okay for him to do those things to underage girls, he got a body of a boy"
and so on). The fanbase with go to extreme lengths in defending these things from Mushoku Tensei as purposeful, deep and masterful writing instead admitting that things like ( lolis, relationships/harems with underage girls, rape, sexual harassment) are simply there to cater people fetishes.

Mushoku Tensei is a work fiction and I don't there's anything wrong having a fictional work that cater to your fetishes, it doesn't make you a pedophile/rapist/adulterer just as playing violent games doesn't make you a murderer. It's all fictional and no one is getting hurt. That being said, if Mushoku Tensei going to be crowned as the "Isekai Grandfather Masterpiece" then it deserves to be legitimately scrutinize but you don't have that currently at a moment; you got fans blindly praising/defending everything about Mushoku Tensei and than you have haters labeling the fans as pedos, neither is helpful in having fruitful discourse and giving Mushoku Tensei it's due and acknowledging it's legitimate downsides.

P.S.
unkownfactor, to answer your question,
slaves are introduce into the world down the line, like furry/beast slaves
. I know surprising huh lol.

@unknownfactor just read the WN or LN and it isn t another isekai if you have had actually read the WB you would not said that and remenber that this was the Web novel that popularized isekai genre

@_thestranger_ its not just because you saw one rape scene that the whole thing is rape and lolis and shit if you actually stopped that biased view i think you would like it a lot more

If Rudy doesn't recognize Sylphie the second she takes her sunglasses off I'mma lose it.

Honestly, just skip this and read the WN/watch the anime. The best part about this series is MC's self reflection and the world building, and tbh the manga does the worst job in doing both

Is this the one where
MC's father cheats, MC cheats and MC's son fucks his aunt

Users who are viewing this thread