Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Will consider it again later.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Group Leader
Greetings! Welcome to the first tournament for the best video game music!

The following are 64 songs that were nominated as the best songs in video games. Of course, this is all subjective to whoever nominated them, so don't be surprised if you don't see anything you like.

The rule is simple: the songs are divided into 32 pairs. You will listen to the songs from a pair, and choose which of the two you think is better. Simple.
We will do 4 matches everyday. I think that's enough so people have enough time to enjoy the music and judge them, while not feeling too burned out. You will only have 24 hours to cast your vote. After 24 hours, the ones with more votes will advance on to the next round.
062.gif

Prize for the winner: absolutely nothing. Mangadex Swag.

Here is the bracket, which will be updated constantly:

pVzqSUD.png

So, let's kickstart this tournament already! Here are the first 4 matches:

SOCOM Combined Assault Main Theme VS Borderlands: Welcome to Fyrestone
Chrono Cross - Time's Scar VS Katamari Damacy - Lonely Rolling Star
Monster Hunter World - Zinogre Mount Theme VS King of Fighters '98 - Mad Fantasy
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - He Was a Good Stalker VS Dragon Quest XI - Overture

Any discussion and analysis as to why which one is better or what you think about each song, etc. is highly encouraged! So if you feel like talking, go for it!
Take your time! Crank up the volume! Enjoy the music! And vote!
Have fun!
8.gif

Contributor
What's with the poll choices? Do I just select 'Other' if I'm already participating?

@Mr_Detective just listened to those song.

Rolling star
Welcome to Fyrestone
Zinogre Mount Theme
He Was a Good Stalker

Now i have a new jam, i vote for these please.

Also Op, can we vote the song we participated ?

Contributor
My votes in bold:

SOCOM Combined Assault Main Theme VS Borderlands: Welcome to Fyrestone
Chrono Cross - Time's Scar VS Katamari Damacy - Lonely Rolling Star
Monster Hunter World - Zinogre Mount Theme VS King of Fighters '98 - Mad Fantasy
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - He Was a Good Stalker VS Dragon Quest XI - Overture

Dex-chan lover
Voting:

SOCOM Main Theme
Lonely Rolling Star
Zinogre Mount theme
He was a good STALKER

This one goes out to all those doomed Loners stuck at Garbage fighting off endless hordes of Cheeki Breekis.

Welcome to Fyrestone
Time's Scar
Zinogre Mount Theme
He Was a Good Stalker

Dex-chan lover
Borderlands: Welcome to Fyrestone, or more like welcome to land of nothing and death. but to be honest, this fight's just a bad match; i like SOCOM Main theme, if this ost got to fight something with similar vibes i'd choose this.

Lonely Rolling Star. rooooo roooonryyy roooooring staaaaaa

Zinogre Theme (mount) because i like them doggo (jk the song's great gj capcom).

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-He was a good stalker. great soundtrack, good guitar, sad

but seriously what with the match up? i don't want dq to drop now

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
SOCOM Combined Assault Main Theme

Fuuuck, what a tough decision, but i'm going with Katamari Damacy - Lonely Rolling Star because of the meaning of the song.

Monster Hunter World - Zinogre Mount Theme

And lastly, S.T.A.L.K.E.R - He Was a Good Stalker

Group Leader
@hazzack Can't be helped. You'll end up with bad match-ups eventually. Either in the first or the second round. And with a track like Fyrestone, it's likely to run into a "bad match-up". Imagine if it had been matched against Zinogre instead? Or some vocal rock songs?

I'm surprised to see Mad Fantasy and Overture getting so few votes... Uh oh. :O I'll cast my vote later in the day.

Spoiler because I don't want to ruin the fun by referring to another thread...
Unfortunately, one of our participants, @hazzack, was banned by our draconian SJW mod for shitposting in the other political thread. At least he voted before it happened.
This means he will not be able to participate the second day. Does anyone know if PM still works for those who got banned from commenting?
I also have to wonder, @DewiAdriyanti, how are you still not banned yet for shitposting over there, lol?

@Mr_Detective i am your dude in the shadow man

also it's just a funny thing to ask

i am crying, lmao.

edit : you can still use message lmao. And yeah, i am wondering 2. How am i can last this long.

Dex-chan lover
I'm surprised to see Mad Fantasy and Overture getting so few votes... Uh oh. :O I'll cast my vote later in the day.

The real shocker here,
didn't expect S.T.A.L.K.E.Rs here.
Cheeki breeki love.

Dex-chan lover
Seems a bit lacking weirdly.

I was expecting Dr Wily's castle from Megaman 2, or like anything from Smash Bros.

Hell, Smile and Tears from Earthbound could be a real sucker punch

But here's some underrated gems for you all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QzeW_eQFMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyLipjuknGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG77HTdreh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMpnUmeYeeY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEFIZh_Zscc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrnmgMdvI6U
(Insert the entire Dawn of War soundtrack here. Atmospheric horror at its finest. Absolutely terrifying.)

I'm also assuming this only counts for original compositions, because everything in Guitar Hero or the Radio in Fallout, as good as they are, seems weird to include.

Also, the fact the Halo Theme isn't on here is a crime against humanity, which is nothing compared to the lack of Still Alive from Portal and Want You Gone from Portal 2.

Dex-chan lover
Fair, but I'm more going off of "The best songs in video games" and not "The Best Songs according to a specific thread on Mangadex at a specific time."

More of an observation than anything else. Feels like we're lacking a lot of heavy-hitters. @Afiaki

@Tamerlane
We all had to drastically restrict our selection. Most of us (all?) just picked a very select few that we liked/wanted to share.
The best songs in video games is a very debatable topic; it's impossible to come up with such a selection in a single tournament. After all, what's "the best" overall will only ever be "so-so" for anybody who has personal favourites. Hence why you need to participate for the next one!

Contributor
@Tamerlane @Afiaki
Speaking strictly for myself here, but I chose some lesser-known songs that deserved more listener appreciation.
I could have just as easily chosen top-tier songs from much larger well-known franchises, such as Rockman or Sonic.

Users who are viewing this thread