Musume no Tomodachi - Vol. 7 Ch. 54 - Unforgivable

Fed-Kun's army
@Starch12313 I’m a bit confused about what action Miya took that just so awful for her to do? Do you mean the ultimatum? Because if you really believe that Miya telling her father to once and for all choose between her and Koto is unreasonable, then we will have to agree to disagree. She was fully within her right to expect her father to choose her. If my father did the same I would have closed the door on him as well.
Also her knowing right from wrong isn’t the point.

You’re asking why socialization and reaching out to Koto is relevant, well it’s because you asked for examples that shows that Miya does act her age sometimes. Being a depressed and lonely teenager and having the strength to broaden your support system on your own at that age is a fully praisable thing. Trying to reconcile with Koto shows resilience and maturity, and is difficult even for actual adults to do. It shows actual growth and the type of development and realization you would expect in a teenager.

By the way Miya not attempting to reconcile with Kousuke just isn’t true. Remember in one of the first chapters(chap. 5-7 I believe?) when Miya made dinner for them and messaged him throughout the night wondering when he would be back and that she was waiting? Basically blowing up his phone? Kousuke deliberately didn’t answer because he was with Koto.
Remember when she went back home after running away and did try to hold his past with Koto against him believing he had changed and they could work things out while living together? Well Kousuke went back to Koto.

Thing is that it was never Miyas responsibility to juggle her fathers emotional baggage or have to be the bigger person in their relationship. She is the child. She is not the one who is supposed to take care of him. But she has tried. More than Kousuke has ever tried to mend their relationship.
You say he’s doing the damnedest to help her? What has he done other than sulk outside his door? Did he ever consult the school about how to litigate schoolwork while she’s absent? Has he ever tried to get them into therapy? Has he ever asked for outside assistance with a governmental child help center? Has he ever offered any solution that isn’t the equivalent of running away, for example offering to participate in certain activities with her? Why didn’t he go to the aquarium with her instead of Koto? Why isnt he going to cafes with her instead of Koto? Why did he get in the taxi instead of choosing her best welfare instead of Koto? Where is this effort?

I also think you just strongly leave out or do not comprehend depression and especially how mental health can affect, especially children, can affect certain people. Self isolation is one of the most common symptoms of clinical depression. Feelijg that you are chained to your bed and not having the energy to interact with family and friends is common. Being unable to go to school or work is also a very common symptom. She also by the way did show growth in this department, especially in recent chapters. She says farewell and welcome back to her father. She sleeps more often at the house rather than at friends. She is changing, but Kousuke however is still self medicating by pursuing Koto.

We have by the way a lot of indications of her doing chores. We see her leave food she’s made in the fridge for Kousuke. We see her have a tidy room. We have no reference to believe she is skipping out on chores.
Going to school was a problem, but it was not a problem of being lazy or spoiled. That was one of the most clear anecdote obvious signs of her declining mental health and her response to grief. Which again by the way, she managed to overcome.

Ungrateful daughter? What is she ungrateful for?
Her father that betrays her, lied to her, sneaks around with her classmate and ultimately chooses his girlfriend? I would have been ungrateful for that as well. That is manic.

Miya is not the reason he is doing anything. He’s an adult man who is responsible for his own actions.
Miya is a child that is the product of her environment. All of her behavior is a direct product of how her parents and peers shaped her. They are not the same, and the only reason he is going back to Koto is because of his own selfish desires. Miya is not to blame for his creepy love affair.

She isn’t getting points for returning, but if she was then yes a runaway child that finally comes home is not a punishable offense. She is getting points for taking time to maturely think about her future and what to do with her dad, and ultimately going back to her home. God forbid she didnt start hanging out with druggies or fall into shady work to support her runaway life.
She had her first taste of agency and freedom, albeit be it under these circumstances, and she handled it great. Also she’s not the reason the conflict started.
The conflict started because of Kousukes affair with her classmate. Again she is not the reason he went out to flirt with a sixteen year old. He made that choice himself. It’s on him.

Yes, bad father. I don’t know if you missed it but just this chapter he chose his girlfriend over his daughter. That is bad parenting.
And things that benefit you, but clearly hurt other people can be an asshole move. Him enabling this relationship has messed with two teenaged girls, which do not have the emotional maturity of adults to be handling this, is an asshole move.
While doing what benefits himself he has never once actually helped Koto. He has never called the police himself, and when the police finally gets involved he doesn’t mention that Koto is being emotionally abused. Even now he is not calling the police even though Koto could be in very possible danger while leaving his daughter alone and quite possibly traumatized on the street. Poor girl literally vomited after hearing his pathetic love proclamation.

Also I never called him evil. In fact I literally said he was not a depiction of evil.

He is an asshole who is of no help to either Koto or Miya. He has made both their lives worse over the course of this manga, and it is the consequences of his own actions that he did in his own accord and with sound mind. Again, he is the adult. They are not adults.

By the way it’s a bit ironic that everything y’all accuse Miya of, Kousuke is guilty of as well. He too is refusing to help himself, running away, abandoning his duties as both a parent and an office worker, taking actions that is clearly selfish and out of his own best interest etc. the only difference is that Miya is 1. not an adult and 2. Actually growing. Kousuke is just going further down a hole. He’s more of a child than Miya ever has been.

1. She ran away because she interpreted her fathers suggestion as something that serves him more than it serves her. She was right. In retrospect he also said he wouldn’t go back to Koto anymore, and immediately the day after he goes back to Koto, so yeah. Miya was right.

2. We’re going back to the teenager vs adult mind set now. Do teenagers ever have just reasons for rebelling? I rebelled because I had a curfew. That wasn’t just either. It’s literally just what teenagers often do.

3. She never assumed that. She assumed however that her father would choose her and be loyal to her. Because yknow, hes her father. And children of her age do need parental guidance. She has never denied Kousuke the opportunity to mourn or even date other people. She just is not OK with him sneaking around with her classmate. Which is totally reasonable.

4. Does Kousuke know the difference between right and wrong? Is it right if him to choose Koto? Is it right if him to have been to not one but two hotels with her? Is it right for him to be in this relationship? Is the actions that led to this been right or wrong? Maybe it’s more difficult than just what is right or wrong, and maybe we should know better than to expect our children to know the answer when the actual adults are bigger screw ups than they are.

Yo can people stop writing essays. If you hate this series enough to write a full on book report, it might be time to drop.

@Deebees
Can you explain Miya’s whole situation since her Mom died until the start of the manga, what she was doing during that period, and the effect that directly and indirectly had on the father? Directly via how she interacted with him, and indirectly via how society and all the people around him treated him due to her situation. Because you seem to be describing her after a few chapters have already passed, and not the whole backstory which seems to be what many people are talking about.

@SilverSeagleLive People love arguing and/or trolling on the internet, so pretty sure they are having fun. And a lively bloated comment section is more interesting as long as it’s not outright spam.

Dex-chan lover
I dunno...everyone is fucked up at this point. But the daughter is mentally fragile so "giving up" on her is not a smart move. He should have tried to tell her to come with him. Anyway thx

@starch12313
Lmao so just because he’s “in love” with her him getting turned on by her doesn’t make him a pedo? Get real man. Kousuke was getting hot and bothered by her in like the first few days after he’d met her; it’s got nothing to do with him actually having a deep bond with her. I know this manga draws its younger characters to look like little adults, but make no mistake; if any real kid Koto’s age started doing the kind of stuff she does with Kousuke on the train ride to a normal man they’d just feel grossed out and wouldn’t react like he does at all.
Maybe it’s because he’s depressed and lonely, but Kousuke is a pedo.

@Deebees

QUOTE MY RESPONCES

I’m a bit confused about what action Miya took that just so awful for her to do? Do you mean the ultimatum? Because if you really believe that Miya telling her father to once and for all choose between her and Koto is unreasonable, then we will have to agree to disagree. She was fully within her right to expect her father to choose her. If my father did the same I would have closed the door on him as well.
Also her knowing right from wrong isn’t the point.

Quote my responses it makes it easier to address. The action of ghosting her father for a year? No knowing whats right and wrong is the point. As with common sense she would have realized that she was acting unreasonably.

You’re asking why socialization and reaching out to Koto is relevant, well it’s because you asked for examples that shows that Miya does act her age sometimes. Being a depressed and lonely teenager and having the strength to broaden your support system on your own at that age is a fully praisable thing. Trying to reconcile with Koto shows resilience and maturity, and is difficult even for actual adults to do. It shows actual growth and the type of development and realization you would expect in a teenager.

Its not relevant because I never argued that she couldnt act her age. I argued that she was acting out of her age.

By the way Miya not attempting to reconcile with Kousuke just isn’t true. Remember in one of the first chapters(chap. 5-7 I believe?) when Miya made dinner for them and messaged him throughout the night wondering when he would be back and that she was waiting? Basically blowing up his phone? Kousuke deliberately didn’t answer because he was with Koto.
Remember when she went back home after running away and did try to hold his past with Koto against him believing he had changed and they could work things out while living together? Well Kousuke went back to Koto.

First I never said that she didnt attempt to reconcile, I stated that she took no real steps towards it. Miya didnt make dinner, Kousuke did and texted her hours before that he was sorry and that he made hamburger for her. She has no right to hold Koto against him. As ive already addressed when you're the cause of the problem you have no real right to get mad at the consequences. Why should Kousuke be the one that has to make the sacrifices for Miya? Miya is the biggest reason as to why hes so broken, so why should he have to let go of Koto the only one that has been there for him. You arent looking at things from his pov. Sure she may put in the littlest step in trying to reconcile, but the moment things dont go her way she immediately throws a tantrum. Also to the best of my knowledge she did not try to reconcile went back home.

Thing is that it was never Miyas responsibility to juggle her fathers emotional baggage or have to be the bigger person in their relationship. She is the child. She is not the one who is supposed to take care of him. But she has tried. More than Kousuke has ever tried to mend their relationship.

She doesnt have to be the bigger person, but she does have to be there. In this case she wasnt there. Also yes she does have a responsibility to help her fathers emotional baggage, as a family it is everyone responsibility to help each other especially when you have recently lost a family member. Such aa nonsensical thing to say. She hasnt tried making the littles step isnt trying, especially when you give up right away. More than Kousuke? What bs, yes lets ignore the full year of him trying to reconcile with Miya when she kept quite. If anything Kousuke persistent attempt at trying to reconcile with Miya is the reason as to why she isnt locked in her room.

You say he’s doing the damnedest to help her? What has he done other than sulk outside his door? Did he ever consult the school about how to litigate schoolwork while she’s absent? Has he ever tried to get them into therapy? Has he ever asked for outside assistance with a governmental child help center? Has he ever offered any solution that isn’t the equivalent of running away, for example offering to participate in certain activities with her? Why didn’t he go to the aquarium with her instead of Koto? Why isnt he going to cafes with her instead of Koto? Why did he get in the taxi instead of choosing her best welfare instead of Koto? Where is this effort?

Sulk outside her door? You mean the persistent attempt at trying to have her open up. As for the rest oh god im left wondering if you even know Miya as a character. You cant force someone to open up. Would she have done her school work? Would she have gone to therapy? Better yet could they even have a therapist? If anything attempting to force all these things towards Miya would have been worse for their relationship. It takes both parties for this to work so lets not act all ignorant and delude ourselves into thinking that all this was gonna magically help their relationship. The best way for Kousuke was for him to let Miya know that he still cares for him, of which eventually bears fruit.

Why didnt he go the aquarium with Miya? Do we really need to ask this question. The question is that multiple chapters inm Koto has become an extremely valuable person to him, and ignoring that in favor of "why didnt he do it with Miya" is ignorant. Same with the taxi. Wheres the effort? Did we read the same manga or are you willfully ignoring his entire year of trying to reconcile with Miya.

I also think you just strongly leave out or do not comprehend depression and especially how mental health can affect, especially children, can affect certain people.

Hit the nail on the head. Thats why im defending the most mentally damaged guy in the manga lol what a shit take.

. Self isolation is one of the most common symptoms of clinical depression. Feelijg that you are chained to your bed and not having the energy to interact with family and friends is common. Being unable to go to school or work is also a very common symptom. She also by the way did show growth in this department, especially in recent chapters. She says farewell and welcome back to her father. She sleeps more often at the house rather than at friends. She is changing, but Kousuke however is still self medicating by pursuing Koto.

None of which was her. She wasn't depressed because she had no energy, she was depressed because she was grieving and most importantly angry. Her motivations are completely different. Its not as if she physically wasn't able to reconcile with her father. Her not going to school is based on her hatred for her father.

We have by the way a lot of indications of her doing chores. We see her leave food she’s made in the fridge for Kousuke. We see her have a tidy room. We have no reference to believe she is skipping out on chores.
Going to school was a problem, but it was not a problem of being lazy or spoiled. That was one of the most clear anecdote obvious signs of her declining mental health and her response to grief. Which again by the way, she managed to overcome.

Yes we see her doing chores after she finally decides to open up. Not a good take when you inactive for over a year.

Ungrateful daughter? What is she ungrateful for?
Her father that betrays her, lied to her, sneaks around with her classmate and ultimately chooses his girlfriend? I would have been ungrateful for that as well. That is manic.

Her father betrays her lol. Lets not forget when she betrayed her father for a whole year pushing him to the point where hes seeking comfort in an underage girl. But yea Miya is not at fault lol. Like seriously you keep on pointing out Kousuke "faults", but that means utterly nothing if you cant justify Miyas previous actions. I mean the pot calling the kettle at full blast lol.

Miya is not the reason he is doing anything. He’s an adult man who is responsible for his own actions.
Miya is a child that is the product of her environment. All of her behavior is a direct product of how her parents and peers shaped her. They are not the same, and the only reason he is going back to Koto is because of his own selfish desires. Miya is not to blame for his creepy love affair.

Miya isnt the reason?!?!?! AHHHHHHH Miya defenders lol. Yes shes not at fault for trying to understand and comfort her father, of which was stressed from work and also grieving his wife. Omg this bullshit about him being an adult. Like yes hes an adult, but last I checked hes also human, someone that can be broken. Miya may be a product of her environment but last I checked you will find it very hard to find an environment that encourages ghosting your parent for a year. Umm Miya is to blame for the love affair as in shes one of the biggest reasons as to why Kousuke is in the shape that he is in. Oh but my bad are you gonna make another shit take about adults being devoid of emotion and that children should in no way be there for their parents. I mean at this point Miya can really do no wrong.

She isn’t getting points for returning, but if she was then yes a runaway child that finally comes home is not a punishable offense. She is getting points for taking time to maturely think about her future and what to do with her dad, and ultimately going back to her home. God forbid she didnt start hanging out with druggies or fall into shady work to support her runaway life.

She is getting points after all you should know since you're the one handing them. A runaway child that causes someone else to run away, than coming home mad that the other person ran away has no right to get mad at said person. Especially when said person wouldn't have ran away if you didnt. Again you hold little power when you're the cause of the issue.

Uh we must be reading different mangas because she isnt acting mature. She expects Kousuke to simply abandon Koto despite the manga hammering home how deep the relationship is between them. She than gets mad at him whenever he cant let easily her go. If she was like you claim "mature" , she would understand that this shit would take time.

She had her first taste of agency and freedom, albeit be it under these circumstances, and she handled it great. Also she’s not the reason the conflict started.
The conflict started because of Kousukes affair with her classmate. Again she is not the reason he went out to flirt with a sixteen year old. He made that choice himself. It’s on him.

Her first taste of freedom was from running away so lets not give her points.She is the reason why the conflict started lol. The manga makes it known in the beginning that she has been ignoring him. That right there is the conflict. That conflict drives Kousuke into a deeper hole of which leads to him being with Koto. Had the conflict not been there than Kousuke would not have been with Koto. Honestly is this that hard to understand.

Yes, bad father. I don’t know if you missed it but just this chapter he chose his girlfriend over his daughter. That is bad parenting.

I could think of a plethora of reasons as to why a parent would choose a SO over their children. It makes you a bad father if the proper reasons arent there, but in this case it is. Provide to me reasons as to why he should have chose Miya, despite the manga hammering home how deep the relationship is between Koto and Kousuke.

And things that benefit you, but clearly hurt other people can be an asshole move. Him enabling this relationship has messed with two teenaged girls, which do not have the emotional maturity of adults to be handling this, is an asshole move.
While doing what benefits himself he has never once actually helped Koto. He has never called the police himself, and when the police finally gets involved he doesn’t mention that Koto is being emotionally abused. Even now he is not calling the police even though Koto could be in very possible danger while leaving his daughter alone and quite possibly traumatized on the street. Poor girl literally vomited after hearing his pathetic love proclamation.

Oh like when Miya chose to benefit herself and in turn helped break down Kousuke, oh but yea Miya is a good girl lol. Him enabling? Again with this maturity about being an adult, it does nothing for your argument. At this point Miya can kill someone in cold blood and you would be like "since shes a child she didnt know that killing someone was bad". These two arent children they're damn near legal adults that clearly know whats right and wrong. Him enabling the relationship? Oh you mean him trying to seek comfort in the only place that he gets it, and better yet both seek comfort within each other.

Did you really just call Miya a poor girl lol. Shes the least damaged character in the manga by far. I dont kick a lion than get suprised when it attacks me, such as how Miya shouldn't get surprised about Kousuke response when she's the one that caused it. Yes its as if hes not calling the police, because he loves her and knows that she needs him. Telling the police wouldn't have worked, and we're actually shown why when Koto freezes up at the park.

He is an asshole who is of no help to either Koto or Miya. He has made both their lives worse over the course of this manga, and it is the consequences of his own actions that he did in his own accord and with sound mind. Again, he is the adult. They are not adults.
Hes no help to Koto? lol despite being the only one that Koto can comfortably go to. Uh no he has not made their lives worse. He has given Koto a place to go to, and was the biggest driving force in having Miya leave her room.

By the way it’s a bit ironic that everything y’all accuse Miya of, Kousuke is guilty of as well. He too is refusing to help himself, running away, abandoning his duties as both a parent and an office worker, taking actions that is clearly selfish and out of his own best interest etc. the only difference is that Miya is 1. not an adult and 2. Actually growing. Kousuke is just going further down a hole. He’s more of a child than Miya ever has been.

Noone is saying that Kousuke isn't doing bad things. We're well I am saying that unless you can prove that Miyas previous actions were reasonable and just, shifting the blame tp Kousuke no matter how slightly doesn't work. Hes refusing to help himself? You mean hes finally able to come to terms that he loves Koto, and is currently going to her. But yea he cant help himself lol, if anything he has found a purpose.

Again Miya not being an adult isnt relevant. It does nothing in helping your argument. Unless again if you wanna argue that shes devoid of reason. Uh she isnt growing. Shes still immature especially towards her father. Hes more of a child because in his broken down state hes found a purpose? Lol hot take but it seems like for you children can never do wrong and that adults are devoid of emotion.

1. She ran away because she interpreted her fathers suggestion as something that serves him more than it serves her. She was right. In retrospect he also said he wouldn’t go back to Koto anymore, and immediately the day after he goes back to Koto, so yeah. Miya was right.

First of all he never stated that he wouldn't go back to Koto. Koto isnt even in the conversation. Miya interpreting his question as such goes against your claim of her being mature, especially when factoring in that the discussion was the reason for her leaving. If she was so mature like you claim, she wouldn't have acted as rash.

2. We’re going back to the teenager vs adult mind set now. Do teenagers ever have just reasons for rebelling? I rebelled because I had a curfew. That wasn’t just either. It’s literally just what teenagers often do.

Wait is this your argument lol? Im gonna murder 100 people but who cares its just something that teenagers do. There has to be a reason. Lets not ask dumb questions now.

3. She never assumed that. She assumed however that her father would choose her and be loyal to her. Because yknow, hes her father. And children of her age do need parental guidance. She has never denied Kousuke the opportunity to mourn or even date other people. She just is not OK with him sneaking around with her classmate. Which is totally reasonable.

She needs parental guidance so lets ignore him for a year despite him trying to help. Flawless logic lol. Um yes she has denied him the opportunity to mourn. When you mourn the death of a family member, you seek comfort in other fucking family members, of which he was denied. Just because hes her father doesn't mean that he has to choose her. Thats such a naive mindset to have. If my child is a murderer I dont have a responsibility as a parent to hide him from the cops. Kousuke in his state is choosing what he hold more valuable, and thats Koto. Which given the manga as a whole makes sense.

4. Does Kousuke know the difference between right and wrong? Is it right if him to choose Koto? Is it right if him to have been to not one but two hotels with her? Is it right for him to be in this relationship? Is the actions that led to this been right or wrong? Maybe it’s more difficult than just what is right or wrong, and maybe we should know better than to expect our children to know the answer when the actual adults are bigger screw ups than they are.

Depends are you judging it from your pov or Kousuke? Also whats your criteria of right and wrong socially, moraly or legally. Two of which have him being in the right.

Hes a bigger screw up because his mental state has led him to Koto? Lol and Miya is devoid of fault. Honestly all your responses speak of adults being devoid of emotions, and children's not being at fault no matter what they do. I know this might be hard for you to understand, but um Adults are made of metal and instead are humans that also have emotions.

You want Kousuke to do whats "good", but he cant because as I stated before his mental state is in the deep end. Expecting him let alone critiquing him from an outsiders pov is not only asinine but unjust. Ever hear of the phrase "put yourself in my show", well clearly you havent lol.

@maninthemoon2

Lmao so just because he’s “in love” with her him getting turned on by her doesn’t make him a pedo? Get real man. Kousuke was getting hot and bothered by her in like the first few days after he’d met her; it’s got nothing to do with him actually having a deep bond with her. I know this manga draws its younger characters to look like little adults, but make no mistake; if any real kid Koto’s age started doing the kind of stuff she does with Kousuke on the train ride to a normal man they’d just feel grossed out and wouldn’t react like he does at all.
Maybe it’s because he’s depressed and lonely, but Kousuke is a pedo.

Finding someone attractive doesnt make you a pedo. Per definition what makes you a pedo is finding an underage girl SEXUALLY attractive. I know it might be hard for you to understand, but just take your time reading it. We're given no indication that Kousuke is sexually attracted to Koto, and him getting hot over her has less to do with her features, and more to do with the fact that 1) shes a fucking girl and 2) She understands him.

Are you gay if you willingly suck dick to cure cancer? Unless you enjoyed it you arent gay. Same goes here, finding someone attractive because you emotionally love them, and finding someone attractive because you wanna have sex with them separates both instances. So yes Kousuke can commit a podophilic act, such as how you can commit a gay act, but unless Kousuke is going in solely fot some pussy he isnt a pedophile. You can disagree all you want but from not only the definition but the logical sense, he isnt a pedophile.

Group Leader
Wow. This chapter literally exploded in the comments!
tenor.gif

Sorry that I couldn't reply to anyone directly, there's way too much going on here. Way too many walls of text 😭 At least it proves this manga's good at provoking, lol! Thanks to those who mentioned the TL.

I think there was one comment about a typo, but I think it was a passage I didn't know how to more fluidly translate Still worked, but caused me to pause when reading it too.

@starch12313
I don’t mean any disrespect man but that whole reply had me dying laughing oml 🤣

@princess_daphie
Thanks for the translation work! I happened to read Watashi no Shounen and noticed that you were working on that one too. I appreciate being able to read these!

Group Leader
@unmellow @starch12313 yeah he did. i re-read the whole thing once or twice over the last weeks, loll, and yeah... he was pretty upset at his own body reaction though. and, well, 15~16yo, as far as biological responses go, it's prime-time for humans as mammals, lol

@maninthemoon2 happy to be bringing you and everyone who cares these stories! thanks for mentioning it! i kinda went crazy lately and i'm up to what 5 projects at once right now, LOL

Dex-chan lover
Miya being an unreasonable wreck as usual huh

I wonder when she'll get an actual character development or if she's just gonna be the same mess until the end

I really don't understand why people hate Miya so much. Imagine your father dating a child the same age as you. That pedophilic BS would have me sent over the roof, hell i'm turning him in. I don't tolerate predators. I really don't think that Miya would be upset if he just went out with someone his OWN AGE, like it isn't rocket science to figure out why Miya is upset. You guys make it sound like it's absurd when you would react the same way (unless you're a pedophile idk). Anyway Im pretty upset that they didn't make the dad take a fatherly role with Koto instead of this pedo nonsense.

Dex-chan lover
Mad respect for the author giving the MC the balls to come out and say it straight. It might be a little messed up, but I appreciate the audacity displayed in this chapter. But more importantly thanks again Daphie for the translation!

Users who are viewing this thread