My Girlfriend's Not Here Today - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - Flowers' Secrets

Resident Yuripig
Group Leader
That kinda leaves the question : was Nanase truly in love with Yuni ? if not, why would she confess

I really hope Iwami gives us the backstory of how Nanase and Yuni got together and first started dating. It may shed some light on why they're like they are...

A few chapters ago Yuni said she wants Nanase AND Fuuko.
In the previous chapter, Fuuko said she doesn't want to separate them as a couple, but she wants Yuni.
In this chapter, Nanase did not break up with Yuni. And she wants her club AND her GF.

Conclusion?

Simply, none of them can function EVER as separate couples (Yuni-Fuuko, Yuki-Nanase, or Yuni-Nanase).
Their personal interests (and secret desires) can't be fulfilled through one-on-one relationship.
For one-on-one relationship every character here must cut of "their own right hand", sacrificing something what fulfills them from the other side, equally important to them.
If they make a choice, not getting all they want, they won't be complete anymore:

Yuni has some dark desires which Fuuko fulfills.
But without Nanase in the game, there's no thrill. She wants to be watched, getting "the special attention".
And (in previous chapters) Fuuko called her "a pervert", teasing her, because she knows what Yuni truly wants. And she is getting off too, as Yuni's "side chick", as she says to Nanase.

But, the only difference is that Fuuko is OWNING all what she feels and wants from the beginning, and Yuni is (partly) in denial.
It was the bullseye, telling Yuni :
"Was it more thrilling to be terrified she will find out?"
Yuni bites her (with death wishes), proving her denial, and Fuuko feels the thrill, knowing she was right, reading Yuni perfecly again.

Fuuko is the only character who wants to bring on all those dark desires into the light.
Revealing all was the right thing, making Yuni and Nanase look up into reality and into the depths of themselves, facing their own darkness, imperfections and wrongdoings. She wants them to accept their true desires and needs.
All of them know what they want (secretly or not, mostly denying or trying to find solution), but only Fuuko acts on it fearless. And that's her quality as the person.
It does not matter how f-up she knows she is, she is owning it and does not want harm to others who are involved.
She has my full respect as the person (fictional or not)

Now, Nanase must make her decision, after processing everything.
At this point, we don't know what her final decision will be.
Her only option to get her club AND the GF, is to accept Yuni-Fuuko side relationship, or start a new relationship with Yuki (I think it's less possible, because she still feels very strong for Yuni, after seeing her own mistakes as a GF, and Yuni's "ghost" is following her while she walks with Yuki, so she is not over her, seriously considering quitting the club and choosing Yuni after all)

There is a strong bond formed between those three girls, it's not quite easy to break it all up, just like that. Too many emotions and persons involved, intertwined mutually.
And yes, I think there is the true love between them, however f-up every character is in its own way. It's the way of self-discovery, full of thorns.

I wish for happy Nanase-Yuni-Fuuko ending, I'm not cruel to wish for disaster to any of those girls who are making mistakes of youth, discovering about themselves and the world. It's hard to fix all the old "norms", just to start breathing.

Thanks to the author for amazing work. Everything is spot on. The perfect pace of developing the story and the characters.

Yeah, she showed her love pretty well while fucking some other girls brains out. Very romantic.
never said it was romantic, and i never said she cheated out of love. maybe go back to school to read or look some words up before saying anything

A lot of people say bad communication was Yuni's fault, but she did voice out her griefs during their supposedly date at a festival near a shrine (all the volleyclub was there, can't really call that a date). And when Nanase forgot about the anniversary of their relationship, not a quick call or message until midnight to the one who is supposedly very dear to you (can be simply “i'm dead tired/busy af, but damn, i can't wait to be with you soon”, don't need to be a genius for that). Yes being very busy can happen of course, but Nanase is not a soldier during an operation or an intelligence officer or anyone who needs to go on radio silence for a while for security reasons. It was just training that day for her.

After that Nanase herself did say she would do better after that, so that means she's aware of the problem, which she ignores again with the trip to Osaka. Hopefully I don't come out as a parrot since i've already mentionned it, but the way she said it “you're coming to support me, right?”, you put someone on the spot, it's hard to say no (it would have been ez to say no to a random obviously, but to your loved one, friend, boss, anyone of importance ? much harder : wouldn't you do your very best for your best friend asking for a favor ?).
Fuuko was able to say all the simple things Yuni's wanted to hear (again, doesn't take a genius to say “damn you're hawt gurl” when she sent that pic to Nanase instead of “you look kind of different”, that is literally the douchebag answer, or someone who doesn't care -reminder that Nanase confessed to Yuni after the latter complimented her haircut, just throwing that out there).

Moreover, Yuki, Nanase's friend, didn't even notice that Nanase was dating someone and who was that someone, even though that someone is literally right under their nose. That's how cold Nanase appears to be with Yuni, even to a supposedly very observant eye. She loves Nanase (why would she be that happy learning her friend could fall in love, plus her wording “i love you” since she knows she's a lesbian). She was physically closer and intimate with Nanase to the known entourage than Nanase was with Yuni, that's the problem.

It did actually take a cheating for Nanase as a true wake-up call as someone said earlier, as cruel as it sounds. (And before people accuse me of encouraging cheating, the answer is easy, no i don't). And it's good that she's learning, hopefully doing better with Yuki; and yes Yuni should break up but as people said : if you truly love someone, it's not that easy to burn the bridges with them. If it is, you probably didn't really like them. (Even i know that much even though i never fell in love)
That kinda leaves the question : was Nanase truly in love with Yuni ? if not, why would she confess, be the one to even begin the relationship, was she the superficial one, going for a quickie or something ? Or confused about her feelings and mistook it for love ?
One would say fear of rumours : sending flirty messages can be discreet you know. And Fuuko's idea of earrings : very ingenious, no one would make put it together -except maybe Yuki- but for Nanase and Yuni, that would have been a clear signal of love for each other. So there are ways to be intimate with someone and be afraid of the rumours. (How do you think homosexual people have solid relationships in countries where it is sanctionned by death ?)
i love you, thank you for having a brain

Dex-chan lover
I’ve been really enjoying this one. Not because I love high drama in my manga, but because it feels relatable in a way. If that makes sense.

I feel like I’ve been in relationships like this before. They weren’t nearly as dramatic as this manga, but I’ve been there. a relationship seems like it’s going great but cracks start to show and other people and activities start wedging their way in and it all falls apart and communication about it fails.

I’m really interested to see where this one goes. It’s gonna be rough, for sure.

Dex-chan lover
Too many long comment. It's fun just to see it in every chapter. But I never read 100% (just around 10%). Need free time to do that. Lol

Anyway ... I think next should be a final for this arc (or finish the series). It's pretty boring if continue like this.

What? Revenge cheat? Ho ho ... No

Dex-chan lover
Picture this: Fuuko doesn't exist. The story is exactly the same, but she never shows up when Yuni is feeling emotionally vulnerable.

Yuni and Nanase plan a festival date, Nanase's club members show up and she holds hands/shares food and drink/clings to her bestfriend Yuki and leaves Yuni alone.

Their aniversary arrives and Nanase completely forgets despite having the option to leave her club early since she wasn't required to stay and only remembers the next day and promises to do better.

Flash foward to her club game. Nanase wants Yuni to be there, but doesn't bother doing anything to help make that happen and expects her to go to a different city, alone, and with no plans to spend time with her.

Follow this with a trip to the pool. It's Nanase, Yuni, and Nanase's club members where Nanase ditches Yuni, again, to hold hands/share food and drink/cling to her bestfriend.

Now we get a big fight at the internet cafe. Same arguments just without Fuuko. Nanase leaves for a week and ends up going on a date with Yuki, the kind of one on one date Yuni has been desperate for this entire time.

Nanase sounds like a piece of shit, right? The only thing that changed is Yuni cheating with Fuuko. If everything else was exactly the same, I guarantee people would have no issue tearing Nanase a new one.

Its not about "supporting" Yuni. Its about seeing her point of view and understanding Nanase isn't blameless in this.
This. Sooo much this. No one here is "Defending" Yuni. Everyone agrees shes a whore who doomed the relationship. Nanase was an absolute tool throughout the entire relationship, with fuckups after fuckups. Promising to do better, just to fuck up even harder. Yuni DID communicate. Nanase PROMISED to do better. And this is the result.

Dex-chan lover
Too many long comment. It's fun just to see it in every chapter. But I never read 100% (just around 10%). Need free time to do that. Lol

Anyway ... I think next should be a final for this arc (or finish the series). It's pretty boring if continue like this.

What? Revenge cheat? Ho ho ... No
I think it'd be hilarious if Nanase gets with Yuki (whether cheats herself or an actual relationship), gets caught almost immediately by the rest of the club, and they're all like "yeah, we figured you were secretly dating for a while now with how sticky/clingy you've been. We don't care, you do you."

I'd love to see Nanase's reaction

Dex-chan lover
Nanase falls for weirdos, first it was an attention whore and now a maniac who takes you to fucking amusement park when you are in crutches and while they look good together I can't help but feel that Yuki is just your regular straight girl who is overly friendly with her best friend. Hoping to be wrong so that nanase can have a good relationship but on the other hand Yuni is so goddamn funny like seriously "Maybe I went a bit too far with STUPID" God she truly is a piece of work.
Yeah, the story really loves to lay it on thick that Yuni is a damn idiot lmao. I like how Fuuko put it, she's "selfish yet also dumb".

Fed-Kun's army
the fact that you think getting cheated on is a way to LEARN ANYTHING is disgusting, yuni the bitch could had broke up with her and be done with it, but nop, the solution for yuni was to put more effort in her afair that to break up so spare the the stupid idea that Nannase is at fault
For real, along with the fact that to the very end Yuni STILL blamed the other parties even when caught. She has no sense of accountability. Cheating takes two people, and she decided to do it. To the very end of her relationship with Nanase, she still had the audacity to blame both Nanase and Fuuko.

Finally Nanase found the girl she can actually spend time with.
And Fuuko is very cool as always.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly nanase and yuni should have just broke up long ago, don’t know how their relationship lasted for 6 month.

The idea that some of the people in this thread may be old enough to have their driver's license is frightening to me.

That said, this better end in a threesome.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, Nanase has been a bad girlfriend but that just doesnt excuse Yuni for cheating. I dont even blame Fuuko, which tbh, idk if what she likes is Yuni or watching her miserable. Yuni is way too needy and possessive and Nanase just made things worst for herself.
In the end, i just want Nanase to be happy with Yuki and Fuuko to get her puppy to train. I despise people that dont own their actions and blame others.

I hope nanase and yuni don't get back together. And instead of fuuko going on about cheating tries to get yuni to be with her in a relationship instead. I like Yuki too though so she and nanase can get together. With this nanase will also not have to choose between gf and club since Yuki will be together with her.

Dex-chan lover
i still don't understand why people are treating nanase like the scum of the earth. yeah, she didn't prioritize her gf as much as she should have. but part of that is just her being a dumb jock, and the other is her past trauma making it hard for her to be openly affectionate with her gf. she could get away with it with yuki because they're club members and bffs, but rumors would definitely start if she were getting all handsy with some random girl. she didn't handle it properly, but i can't be too mad at her for the latter, especially since yuni wouldn't make it public either

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
i still don't understand why people are treating nanase like the scum of the earth. yeah, she didn't prioritize her gf as much as she should have. but part of that is just her being a dumb jock, and the other is her past trauma making it hard for her to be openly affectionate with her gf. she could get away with it with yuki because their club members and bffs, but rumors would definitely start if she were getting all handsy with some random girl. she didn't handle it properly, but i can't be too mad at her for the latter, especially since yuni wouldn't make it public either
Yeah, Nanase hasn't done anything really wrong. She's been distant and/or thoughtless on several occasions, but those are hardly cardinal sins. They could have been dealt with easily if Yuni were honest about her need and disappointment. But Yuni was not. She shared her real feelings only with her "venting account" followers while effectively giving Nanase permission to take her for granted.

Good call on the churros, though (y)

Users who are viewing this thread