My Hero Academia

@TwilightFaze Regarding the long-strip format, that can actually be customized! I've changed mine to be a page-flip format or whatever it's called. The only difference from Mangadex is that you flip from Left to Right instead like a physical manga. Just click on those three vertical dots in the top-right corner and choose "Horizontal" in the Reading Direction option. :)

It's effectively an ad, for another website, not this one. Designed to take traffic to somewhere else for their clicks and numbers. I'd call that kinda gross, personally.

I guess it's fine so long as MD doesn't erode into ad-driven paywall gated BS, but everything takes a first step... perhaps it's really nothing to be worried about, who knows! Doesn't mean I have to like being asked to give traffic to another multi-billion dollar corporation's website :\

@unknownfactor if you scroll up a bit you will see a 'retail' section with links to other websites where you can legally purchase the manga. MangaPlus is simply another way to legally access the product.
MangaDex, while being a platform for scanlators to upload pirated manga, promotes its legal acquisition and support for the authors. As it should. It doesn't promote Amazon, nor is it in partnership with eBookJapan.

You may think that by saying "give traffic to another multi-billion dollar corporation's website" you're making some sort of an anti-corporation/anti-capitalist statement, but what you're actually saying is: "I, as a reader, refuse to access the manga I read and enjoy by any legal means, or support the publisher and authors who make the manga possible, even when the latest chapters are given to me on a silver platter completely for free."
If there is anything gross here, this is it.

Fed-Kun's army
@Lucideus: LOL, yeah, man, I know. I fully admit to being too lazy to change that on M+. XDDD

I have it left to right format here on MD, but since it's only for 3 manga (for me) it's too much a hassle to change it form long-strip. Well, no it's not, but again...lazy as hell XD

@mbaruh Sure, if you want to jump to the assumption that I never buy any manga or legally purchase stuff, why not call me gross too.

I don't like being advertised to, I don't like being used for clicks on websites, and I don't like things that seem misleading to me- sorry for having that sentiment, I guess.

@unknownfactor
" Sure, if you want to jump to the assumption that I never buy any manga or legally purchase stuff, why not call me gross too."
Tone down the self-pity. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that someone who won't "give traffic to another multi-billion dollar corporation's website", won't buy that same corporation's products. And if you do buy them, I'm even more lost on why you would have trouble entering their website.

"I don't like being advertised to" - it's not an advertisement though, it's the product itself that you came for.
"I don't like being used for clicks on websites" - considering they don't have ads, I doubt that's their business model.
"I don't like things that seem misleading to me" - but you're not being mislead. You came to read a chapter, and you got it. The only thing in your way is that cognitive wall you place in front of the link.
"sorry for having that sentiment, I guess" - I'm fine with the sentiment, I have it on a lot of things myself. What I don't understand is why you're applying it here.

@mbaruh I have a shonen jump sub, but prefer the settings and controls here. It's also easy and convenient having everything here in one place, organized and accessible. The UI is much preferable here and chapters don't disappear after 3 weeks on MD like they do on this redirect. Often times translators can get chapters out faster than the big operations (and while quality may take a hit, it's usually still pretty reasonable to me).

I came here to read a chapter here. If I wanted to go there, I would go there. It's misleading to have a website intended for one purpose suddenly tell you to go somewhere else for that purpose. I'll concede I have no idea if they get anything off clicks or traffic.

@unknownfactor don't get me wrong, I don't care if you read pirated manga. I'm here too, yeah?
It's hard for me to accept it as misleading when they were pretty upfront and made an announcement about it, and the group section of each chapter says "MangaPlus". Also, it doesn't take you there automatically and warns you beforehand.
While the reader is not as good, it's decent and the mechanics are pretty much the same, and I it's not what would prevent me from reading it there, and from our conversation so far, doesn't sound to me like it's you main reason.
I understand that someone might not like the website, or might not want to enter for whatever reason, I'm not trying to convince you to use it.
I don't understand someone who would go calling something like linking to the free official release "gross", when it's just another way to support the official release (and doesn't technically require anything from you).

EDIT: btw the chapters don't disappear, they just become unavailable (you probably hid unavailable chapters in the settings) because they stop being free (which again, isn't different in any way from linking to websites where you can purchase volumes).

MD@Home
My favourite thing about this whole system is that i dont need an extra bookmark to check an external site, and it tracks the chapters here. 😎

Would people be more accepting of it if we have a subscription option on this website (€4,99/month, give or take) and get to read it directly on here, rather than be re-directed?
I don't think I'd manage to pay a full subscription like a Netflix sub, but I'd definitely not mind a milder subscription. Maybe something akin to Nintendos subscription on the Switch.

How come this Shounen manga was completely and utterly dragged into the gutter of the Fujoshis?

I checked the doujinshi titles & covers via the link and nearly all of them are anti-hero stories about Izuku getting an "enema" by the other male cast.
Really?

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, doujin stories were about friendship or romance between the male main character and female main or subcasts that didn't make it into the story.

Now it's about sodomizing the male cast in the most anti-story way imaginable.
It's a wonder that there isn't one yet where Izuku is sodomized by the villains league.

My hero can't be that disgusting.

Aggregator gang
@jojofanman99
some tl groups had issues with possible future policies and a few other various topics, so they got all whiny and took everything they had off MD, seems to me it was *mostly* the ones that liked to direct you to their sites which were in turn laden with various forms of malware, so good riddance to them I say...although the lost series and chapters does hurt still from time to time

Aggregator gang
@PMR
I never paid it too much attention so you should probably do your own research on the forums, but from what I've read I think it was mainly over the redirecting people to personal sites and some potential policies (probably months or years down the road if they get implemented at all) that'd be related to going "fully legit" and that certain series might have restrictions due to licensing in various regions
personally if that happens, I'll see what the site does with it and decide then, and as for the directing people to personal group sites to read better versions/sooner thing (aka uploading low quality pages/intentional bad translations here and forcing you to visit a site with malware, bitcoin mining, shadow processing, and all that other often illegal and generally bad sh!t they shove in the background, just to get a decent reading experience), that BS I was glad to see gone

Users who are viewing this thread