Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai Suru

Double-page supporter
The art is good but the story,characters and pacing does not make any sense

Double-page supporter
Is this good? I really like the art but so far it reads like a Harry Potter fanfic.

The premise is simple, harry potter with swords and magic swords. Everything is cool and all but the story is kinda not good. Personally, the most important in a new fantasy world is the world building. You don't need much but you need at least enough to make some sense. If everyone is an asshole in a magic world it makes sense, you got those power and you can do anything you like, but at the same time lawless too? Did the author forgot that the setting is in a school? What are the teachers doing if seniors are given the free reign to hunt students without any consequences? Isn't the point of school is to create an environment of nurture to atleast let the students protect themself? If the student is already expected to be able to defent themself before they were taught anything, then what's the point of the school? As a battlefield to hone killing instict? Does nobody cares about the mortality rate, because it seems normal students not part of the MC clique will just die as easily as those without magics.

Secondly, regarding teaching, is there no safety nets? Are students really expected to not f up every situations? Because currently, every class just seems like a ticking time bomb ready to explode. Is there no safe environment in the school? If any crjme is okay then why not just kill all problematic students? That seems like a simple solution to all of your problem, why bother warning?

Thirdly, regarding discrimination against magical beast. It doesn't feel real, it felt like the discrimination is only there to make the girl ( you know which one ) looks better. "We eat those magical beasts in the past!" Seems like just an assholish things to say considering you could still done those things right now, if it's banned that's even worse. It's like being a nazi after nazi is banned, or proudly proclaiming you used opium after the government has banned its usage.

The pacing is also kinda bad, i don't know if it's a manga only problem or both, but imagine harry potter is implied capable of using avada kedavra not even halfway through the book. At least start the plot after you introduce the character properly. Everyone looks straight out of a template, cool and edgy MC, pure girl, a friend A, kinda ass glasses guy who turned out to be not kinda ass later, good girl gyaru, battle crazy japanese.

8 chapters in and still wondering what points I'm missing...

As @Senzensen said, world building is kinda not there - first chapter we learn that MC has some sort of mission and his cousins are enrolled (father of a student in his clique is the daughter of a professor...) but never did I see them interacting with their family?
I also get that some senpais are "not nice", but having two psychos straight on their first meeting? Where does all that aggression come from? Then Samurai girl also turns psycho, felt like cheap Yuno rip-off, before resolving her intentions a chapter later.

MC feels like wannabe Amano - while having some strong conviction to achieve something, we (at least unitl ch8) learn next to nothing about him, his motivation or why he is so concerned with his expression. All I can see is him being betrayed by someone from his clique or something ex-machine happening that shocks him, making for a rather cheap development.

Overall, I tried to enjoy but now even procrastination feels like a chore... may others have more fun.

13 chapters to know what the title means, and this is not even weekly publishing. So slooow.

For the school to have many troublemakers on the school ground is just messed up. It is a miracle the school is still standing and not many died.

Fed-Kun's army
so, so much of this is so harry potter-esque. the monsters, the fights, especially Katie being an exact replica of Hermione

Dex-chan lover
This series has many good elements to work with.... but the pacing, characterization, and world building feels so off. Furthermore, the dialogue can be so cringe. It’s almost like it’s trying to be generic nonsense but still retain the impressive magic school atmosphere it started with.

Also, so much shit happens back to back but there is little teacher involvement? Like, with all the shit that goes on in this school is it even worth sending your child to it?

@Koyomiya i think the problem this suppose to be a mystery manga but maybe because the manga estruture not seen that way,
because the mc know that school is very dangerous from the beginning but he acknowledge that more stuff happend that it should be and the mc drive at the first chapter those two thing remains in mystery
, therefore i think that "feels so off" is deliberate

I normally don't write reviews but here I must say: this is an awful adaptation. It skips the whole opening sequence of the light novel, which is a big deal, because the reason people like the light novel lies in how the opening leaves an open intrigue, and the ending of the first volume resolves it, changing the meaning of the whole story. But in the manga, you see neither the beginning nor the ending (by the time I am writing this, the manga is still stuck in the middle of the first volume). Without that beginning, it completely changes how the story is experienced from the start. People who only know the manga would just see the story as a directionless thing, and I dread to think of the lack of emotional resonance when the manga does reach the ending of the first volume. Because the opening never happened.

Not only the intrigue is missing, the manga also removed many discussions and changed the tone of certain interactions (most likely to appeal to a younger demographic). One memorable sentence from a character in the novel: “It is false to think that not fearing death is to be obsessed with it." But if you read the manga, you will not remember it. Because it was just completely removed. And the manga MC is portrayed like an edgier Kirito with the same hair and edgy inner monologue, which is just far too different from the novel MC. I can understand at some level that the mangaka is struggling to tell a story which is more suited to a novel (with more subplots, worldbuilding and a longer time to resolve), but his decisions have proved to be disappointing for both the pacing and the tone of the story. You should read the light novel, if you want to give the story a fair shot, and at least get a proper story arc with a beginning and an end. The art style is acceptable but I was honestly let down by the design of the campus and many characters.

Confusing.

Yes, the mangaka trying hard to make the panel artistic, but instead getting better its just mind breaking. The story messed up with no steady simple explanation to reader. Really messed up. I dont know what this and that.

Fcked up.

Not a good adaptation, makes the story confusing and characters....well, whatever, this adaptation was worse than that of isekai goumon hime

Supporter
I was to comment about how fast shit is going down but it seems its an ln adaptation. Fastest drop in the west lmao

Users who are viewing this thread