Neeko wa Tsurai yo - Vol. 4 Ch. 21 - The NEET Works Part-Time

Lucky she wasn't working at the front line, that'll kill her. Even though she didn't actually earn it, 2 hours for a switch is an incredibly good deal though.

Dex-chan lover
Yo that's high end paying job, yo get a Switch a day by just moving boxes, i want in!

That was a hell of a gamble. I'd be pretty mad with my parents if they pulled a stunt like that against me.
The good part is that I'm not a neet anyway, but still.

Thanks for the translation!

As an actual former NEET, reading through the comments, I have to set one thing straight: a lot of people are talking out of their asses here. This manga is scary realistic.

I dare to make this bold statement because I'm 100% Neeko.
Fresh out of school, I had a similar experience as her and as a result ended up as a NEET for almost 5 years, believing I was an unemployable, useless human trash and a burden on everyone around me. (And I mean spending entire months without leaving the house.)

Then one day I managed to land a job through my mother's connections and just like Neeko, the first day(s), all I wanted to do is hide in a corner or go home. (In fact, I had a favorite spot to curl up in and fight the nerves.) But I stayed, out of crushing guilt, and fear of getting kicked out of home. It was hard work and I did dream of work for weeks (which is actually quite normal when you're dropped into a new environment, and in no way a sign of PTSD, like someone stated here).

Turns out I'm also a fast learner and there are things I'm really good at.
Fast forward 6 years, after working my way up, today I'm making bank by leading an entire division, negotiating with clients, and getting sent to trade shows abroad. Not exactly the job that comes to mind when you think of NEETs.

Why am I telling all this? To show that this can happen. People here talk like Neeko is supposed to have a mental breakdown and PTSD every time she's confronted with any amount of pressure. That is simply not how this works. NEETs do in fact have coping mechanisms, they're just weaker than normal, but can be strengthened with repeated and gradual increase in exposure.
This is where Neeko's mother took a great gamble. She estimated this job to be below Neeko's threshold, and she was right. Regardless of outcome, she still betrayed Neeko's trust, but at the same time she didn't do as horrible of a thing as people make it out to be. In the end both parents agreed there are other methods and this was not the right thing to do.
Wish I could say the same thing about my parents...

Dex-chan lover
I have to agree with @wotm8. My son is basically Neeko. Complete with the little sister who's an overachiever. He's been out of school for 3 years and is still at home too scared to go out in the world. And this entire manga is 100% what he's going through. Do I want him to go get a job so he can contribute? Sure I do. But the psychology of trying to get yourself out of that rut is entirely real, and he's got to work through that. I don't think I could ever pull what Neeko's mom just did on him. I try to give him some gentle encouragement every so often and let him know that I'm happy to help when he's ready. The stomach ache when in an uncomfortable situation is real, too. It's entirely psychological in origin but that doesn't stop it from really physically happening.

Fed-Kun's army
@precurejunkie former neet of 3 years here as well, those little comments of encouragement, while full of good intent, hit like a gut punch to our ego and self esteem. If you're in good terms with your son take him out to hang out, no talking about the future, no questions about work, just have quality time with him.
My experience as a neet made my room my fort and everything outside a theat to what little I had, my dad whom I was very close to felt like seeing an acquaintance you haven't talked to in months. Anyways I back on what I wanted to say, if you can open up your son's safe space(for lack of a better term) everything else will follow like a line of dominoes.
I hope you succeed for your son's sake, being a neet is like depression plus IRL proof of inferiority.

Dex-chan lover
@precurejunkie
That makes me curious. How's IRL imoko? How does she treat her brother? I'm guessing the dynamic changes a little considering they're of opposite sex rather than the same.

Dex-chan lover
They play games (Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon) and watch TV together a lot, otherwise she mostly leaves him be. I think she pesters him about not doing anything less than I do, and I only do once every few months pretty much.

@Doomroar Sorry, it wasn't even a high paying job. It was already mentioned that the rest of the family contributed with Neko's salary to buy that Switch

Dex-chan lover
Is it a bad idea to recommend this to a NEET friend?
@wotm8

Hmm, I seem to see a lot of comments from ex-Neets and the general non-Neets. I wonder if there are any current Neekos reading this.

I'm a longtime NEET now and I would just NOPE the fuck out of there. I'm no hikkikomori and don't mind going out but I'd felt betrayed if someone set me up like this and especially if they knew I didn't like working or had a trauma related to it like Neeko.

@Nicromatic No, I think they would really relate to Neeko and find it reassuring that there's someone out there who understands them.
It's been years since I've been to where Neeko is, still every new chapter fills me with a strange mix of comfort and sadness.

Dex-chan lover
Dont do this to your neet son/daughter. Take some own responsibility and try to work it out together with them by communicating instead of ultimatems. How about actually asking what they want to do for their future? Deskjobs arent the future everyone foresees for themselves. If you want to send them to a work camp against their will atleast tell them.

Fed-Kun's army
As a current NEET my hurdle I can't pass is the interview. Finished college with a good science degree 3 years ago. Tried seriously to get a job for 1 year, only ever got called into 5 interviews. Anxiety ruined 3 of those, thought I aced the other 2 but never heard back. After a never ending slew of rejection emails without even a damn interview my confidence got crushed. Can't get experience without a job, cant job without experience.

Dex-chan lover
well i'm glad i didnt say they are placing her in customer service.

plain impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread