Noragami - Vol. 23 Ch. 89 - Echo of the Koto no Ha

This just feels bad narratively... like yukine has kinda been a pos this entire manga because hes a kid, and I thought maybe they would push past that but weā€™re back here again

Contributor
@CKN I think although there may be some partial exceptions (Nora, although she is still childish in a lot of ways as well), by and large the mindset of shinki are stuck in the age that the died. They may gain new knowledge over time but it can't change the way they process the information. Remember Kofuku's child shinki? He kept asking why he didn't grow older when all his friends did, because he died too young to be able to comprehend concepts like death or immortality.

So even though Yukine logically should know better, he, as an eternal 14yo, can't help the fact that he reacts impulsively and emotionally, especially compounded on his emotional trauma of abandonment and abuse. He's tried to keep his feelings in; he was a good boy for such a long time after his initial stealing drama. He studied hard to be a good hafuri and to learn more as a student, even though he has no 'future'. He trusted Yato, despite him flaking out for months at a time and never telling Yukine anything important. Then, despite all his efforts and all of Yato's praise, he sees Yato apparently abandon him for another hafuri. Actions speak louder than words; all of Yato's praise seems fake when he shows Yukine that he prefers a 'more powerful' shinki over him. He's a teenager, he can't help acting on his emotions rather than rationally thinking it through.

idk y'all are being way too harsh on Yukine when his characterization's been consistent throughout the manga, he's always been a central part to the plot, and his backstory has always been an issue waiting to be addressed. I'm content to just be patient and see through the end of the arc because the authors definitely have a plan and I don't want them to overwork themselves to point of injury again to please impatient readers.

Itā€™s been so long I canā€™t even remember ā€œgodsā€™ greatest secretā€ (tm) anymore šŸ˜…
Still love the art. Gonna hang on till the end for closure.
Hope the mangaka is okay - any explanation for the short chapters?

For anyone wondering, these short half length chapters have more or less been a norm since close to the start of the resumption of the series after its year long hiatus. Usually its split like chapter x.1 and chapter x.2, and rarely is is ever full-ish length. I'm fine with adachitoka going at this pace, despite the wait being a lot. I'm just gonna speculate that the way they decided to release chapters like this was to ease the burden on themselves/for their health. Long as we get quality story from it, I'm fine.

Dex-chan lover
Imagine projecting and defending a victim of abuse this hard. Like what is wrong with you?, he's actually hurting the one that gave him not one but two chances at being better and he doesn't want to respond back the kindness he's been shown. Seriously, I think the authors fucked up with Yukine as a character.

Dex-chan lover
@Duckiedoggo That's the literal opposite of what @tinavy meant.. Yukine has poor mental strength, as a teen. You can also see this THROUGHOUT the series.

Hah, I love how, no matter what development has gone on in the new chapter, the comments are always debating Yukine as a focal character. Itā€™s the same arguments every time lmaoo

Dex-chan lover
Yukine. Is. Only. 14.

That will be him for eternity. He was also horrifically abused. Understand this before you kvetch about the poor kid.

Dex-chan lover
To the debate, I hate how manga or any medium shove the "that's how teenage/child acts and thinks". It honestly ruins the quality of the work to me.
Teenage can do some really meaningful thing too, and our 14yo kid keeps acting the same way. After so many events too.
I hope one day he will not be a pushover anymore.

Just telling yall without yukine, yato shouldve been dead rn if he succeeded killing father and the series end šŸ¤·

Yukine is mentally ill he has ptsd and he didn't even know he had it or what was the reason he was afraid of closed off spaces until now!!!!!!!!! And that shit of a "father" is manipulating the poor boy! What yukine is doing is wrong but he is not in the state of mind to know that so stop bashing yukine, this all started with yato suddenly leaving and triggering his fear of being abandoned again and leaving him literally wide open for father to get his hands on him.

Fed-Kun's army
Remember that time yukine stung yato until he almost died?
He ran away before too. Super annoying char.

i bet hiyori release yukine from that dark form, yukine it self i think make the plot more rich, and i think the end arc gonna be very epicccc

Users who are viewing this thread