“Okaeri, Papa” - Ch. 18 - Rift

Dex-chan lover
She's right to be angry, no one is arguing against that. Hell, even in regards to being famliy, Touko is 17-18. How the fuck you get lost like that (under the idea that it wasn't intentional)? Especially with your baby cousin.
But going to strike someone else's kid and saying "YOU WILL NEVER HAVE REAL CHILDREN" is psychotic, Karen-level behavior. It is the same as Yurika's Mom, it doesn't matter how manipulated or angry you are, domestic abuse is not an answer!

And disregarding the physical abuse...you say you trust your brother and care for his well-being. But not respecting his decisions and views on the world, especially with you being the YOUNGER sister with a MARITAL AFFAIR, is unsympathetic behavior. She doesn't value his choice in women, his choice to not have children, or even his attempt at taking responsibility for his mistake.
She's not a reasonable person.

Nah, it ain't a red herring, they are DEFINITELY planning some heinous shit, by default the incest and technical ephebophilia is no bueno. It just on an actual outsider view of things, not knowing of their plot or past relationships (highly likely they killed the father), they are a well-adjusted duo despite being a young, sickly mother and attention-starved kid.

17 year olds can get separated too. It's not like they were meeting somewhere specifically. They were walking around and she gets squeezed out (according to the panel of them walking.)

Gotta remember Japanese fireworks festivals can get up to hundreds of thousands of people. They're huge.

Also I'm leaning toward them not being devious, just because the Mangaka uses single panels without context and over exaggerated facial expressions to show them being "evil". Feels like it's too heavy handed and there's going to be a twist.

Double-page supporter
Im worried, what is going to happend to the MC? If the plan is to get the daughter pregnant... then what? What happened to the last "dad"?

Dex-chan lover
How would she know any of that? She wasn't even there. She didn't see a sinister seeming last panel last chapter.
She's already got bad vibes from the girl and mother as it is. She's going with her gut. You know. Like a normal person.
She is his daughter. He's married to her mother. Step children are still children.
No they're not.
As for the "stalking" what she did wasn't any worse than what any girl in this age does stalking guys on social media. And like 75% of women do it. We don't know what the list was for. We don't know the order the things happened.
They stalked an entire list of men, then narrowed it down to him. They then orchestrated a "first meeting". You really forget all this?
And yet she left her baby with the three of them. You either trust your brother and his judgement or you don't.
She reluctantly gave the baby to her brother after the menacing phone call came in. Just because I give you something, doesn't mean I suddenly don't mind what you do with it. Especially not if that "thing" is my infant child.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I don't think that they're after the sister at all. The want him, and used her to get him to isolate himself from his family.

Saying "stay away from your loved ones." won't work. But making him think that they don't love and respect him, or look down on him and mock him, is a great way to cause a schism.

After that feign moral outrage, and sympathy and "save" him from their "hateful" asses. Done and done. Why they even felt the need to do this I have no idea dude, but this is going to be a trainwreck. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Dex-chan lover
She's already got bad vibes from the girl and mother as it is. She's going with her gut. You know. Like a normal person.

No they're not.

They stalked an entire list of men, then narrowed it down to him. They then orchestrated a "first meeting". You really forget all this?

She reluctantly gave the baby to her brother after the menacing phone call came in. Just because I give you something, doesn't mean I suddenly don't mind what you do with it. Especially not is that "thing" is my infant child.
The fact you just said step children aren't children is fucking wild. We're done here.

You're the same level of psychotic helicopter parent this sister is.

Dex-chan lover
I see, so mother and daughter really like playing with other people feeling so other people can see their own uglines huh....
BUT, WOW WHAT A BITCH HIS SISTER IS!!!!!
AS FATHER MY SELF IN THIS SITUATION IM GONNA PANIC AND DESPERATE SEARCHING MY DAUGHTER TOO, BUT YOU SHOULDN'T SHOUTING THATS UNPLEASENT THING TO OTHER PEOPLE ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DONT HAVE THEIR OWN KID YOU DAMN WHORE!!!!

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, both nobody and everybody (except the kid who is just being innocently played like a chess piece) is to blame.

• Our main MC is just sadly tossed around the heavy, encroaching abyss(tm) of the oyakodons; but he sure have at least partial responsibility with his sister's kid safety.
  • Nothing much to about the oyakodons since they are the succubus spawn themselves; but they masterfully use and plant seeds which ended up in their advantages. Only a truly alone person will be baited to accept heavy love expressions from their partner.
  • If anything, sister's rage is not unfounded and actually normal for parent. Her mistake is: 1. She failed to supress her bias toward oyakodons and perfectly baited; 2. She is under heavy stress and ended up saying both the wrong things and things that would be better understood under calmer situation; and 3. Who the fuck discuss crucial things when fireworks is nearby?
But blaming is not the point here. The point is that sister masterfully baited and fall into the oyakodon's trap.

The rift is now forming between siblings. The mud and the moat is slowly filled up for our poor mc. And we're not even touching the phone call :aquadrink:

Dex-chan lover
The sister could have handled it better really, but she's already stressed out from overthinking and a call that clearly disturbed her. She even knew that saying those things was the wrong thing to do but still said it.
We can just chalk it up to the mother and daughter following whatever their plan is and the sister fell for it.
Was she wrong? Not entirely(because while we, the audience, know what's going on; she only has her suspicions without definite proof) but reacting like that when her child is relatively safe and raising a hand against your brother's daughter, adopted or not, and insulting him ain't the play. Not to mention saying that you see your brother's family as strangers doesn't make you look good.

Dex-chan lover
The sister could have handled it better really, but she's already stressed out from overthinking and a call that clearly disturbed her. She even knew that saying those things was the wrong thing to do but still said it.
We can just chalk it up to the mother and daughter following whatever their plan is and the sister fell for it.
Was she wrong? Not entirely(because while we, the audience, know what's going on; she only has her suspicions without definite proof) but reacting like that when her child is relatively safe and raising a hand against your brother's daughter, adopted or not, and insulting him ain't the play. Not to mention saying that you see your brother's family as strangers doesn't make you look good.
A reasonable take my God. No one said she can't be angry at what happened. How she acted with that anger is the problem.

So from what I understand, the mom is likely infertile, and she wants to have her daughter become a mother in her place.

Did I get it right?
This is a psychological attackkkkk...
wow, is this mother-daughter combo deliberately making the MC feel anxious and blame himself for not being able to understand his beloved little sister? That way he will think about wanting to have children (of course not with his wife but...) :worry: :worry::notlikethis:
Well, I must have just imagined it haha, nothing like that would happen, right? :pepehmm:

Dex-chan lover
17 year olds can get separated too. It's not like they were meeting somewhere specifically. They were walking around and she gets squeezed out (according to the panel of them walking.)

Gotta remember Japanese fireworks festivals can get up to hundreds of thousands of people. They're huge.

Also I'm leaning toward them not being devious, just because the Mangaka uses single panels without context and over exaggerated facial expressions to show them being "evil". Feels like it's too heavy handed and there's going to be a twist.
then why didn't she just call out as soon as people walked in front of her so that the adults coould hear where she is and turn around to make their way to her and knew people had walked in front of her? It's impossible for a teenager to get lost at a summer festival like that. Her story about getting lost is obviously complete hogwash. She very clearly intentionally walked away as soon as she saw an opportunity when it got a little crowded .
the sister intuitively realised that the idea of a 17 year old getting lost at a summer festival is baloney and that she intentionally walked off with her baby.

The sister was right.

Dex-chan lover
That is not it in this case.

In this case, sister was manipulated.

Step Daughter showed sis signs that she was a psycho....

and sis basically only said what she did out of fear and not cause she meant it....

And right after she said it, she realized she f***ed up....

So it's not that sister is untrustworthy, but the 2 psychos are great at manipulation....
The sister was manipulated to become very distressed

And in that distress, the sister lashed out

However, the manner in which the sister lashed out is within her control

And she did so by disparaging MC's family and capacity to have children

While it's clear she did so during a very emotional moment, the fact is she will use that information as a weapon to hurt you if she thinks it's appropriate

The MC may forgive, but it's unlikely he'd forget. nor should he forget.

Dex-chan lover
How would she know any of that? She wasn't even there. She didn't see a sinister seeming last panel last chapter.

She is his daughter. He's married to her mother. Step children are still children. The sisters actions are 100% psycho. You can be pissed at the brother for handing off the kid, but to go and hit and scream at the girl because she got left behind? Psychotic.

As for the "stalking" what she did wasn't any worse than what any girl in this age does stalking guys on social media. And like 75% of women do it. We don't know what the list was for. We don't know the order the things happened.

The author is overly exaggerating the looks on purpose.
you can make an argument that if you raise someone else's child from when they're a little kid then they're your child, but she was 16 and has had all of her formative years before she ever even met him So in what meaningful sense is she his child? They've only known each other for a few months.
Normally when you say "she is his child" you either mean that he is literally her father who sired her, or maybe you mean something like "he was her guardian through her formative years so he has raised her and it is as though he was her father"
Neither of those things are the case here.
So all you're saying when you say "he is her father" is that he married her mother.
So no, in no meaningful sense is he her father.
If I'm 16 and my dad dies and my mum decides to remarry, is her new husband now autoomatically my father? Nah get out of here.

Dex-chan lover
  • 2. She is under heavy stress and ended up saying both the wrong things and things that would be better understood under calmer situation;
Chika deeply hurt his feelings on purpose, because she knows how her Brother feels about it. And no, she was calmer at this point (page 14), and attacked him because he sided with his Wife and Daughter (yes, even as a Stepdaughter and it is crazy how many think otherwise).

even with heavy stress, it was ill intent

Users who are viewing this thread