“Okaeri, Papa” - Ch. 18 - Rift

Double-page supporter
The one right move was not to read
now we're stuck here, in this wreck-wagon :meguupog:

Dex-chan lover
She has a point, she entrusted HIM not someone else. People have asked me to take care of their kids for a bit, minding them and then allowing someone else that the parent doesn’t know as well to take them out of sight is insane. Although yes, they are creepy and intend to daughter rape him.

Dex-chan lover
I mean if you want to call people who don't want to have kids or don't have kids genetic dead ends I hope you're at least not referring to yourself either. Because that kind of projecting is pretty sad.

If the mark of an adult is just having kids outside of you know being a productive member of society and being responsible to yourself and having high standards of yourself outside of others. Then by all means continue the shaming language.
Whether or not I'm correct that childless people aka genetic dead-ends are not fully developed human beings obviously doesn't depend on whether I'm a genetic dead end, that's just a deflection.
I explained why what I said was correct here https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/okaeri-papa-ch-18-rift.1711976/post-21204521 and you haven't said anything that refutes me, you've just listed some other responsibilities that humans have.
I never said that having kids automatically makes you a fully developed human being, I said that genetic dead-ends aren't fully developed human beings which is equivalent to saying that having kids is a prerequisite to being a fully developed human being.
And yes I will continue to shame behaviour that is bad. Shaming bad things is a good thing to do. We ought to discourage and shame bad behaviour.

Dex-chan lover
17 year olds can get separated too. It's not like they were meeting somewhere specifically. They were walking around and she gets squeezed out (according to the panel of them walking.)

Gotta remember Japanese fireworks festivals can get up to hundreds of thousands of people. They're huge.

Also I'm leaning toward them not being devious, just because the Mangaka uses single panels without context and over exaggerated facial expressions to show them being "evil". Feels like it's too heavy handed and there's going to be a twist.
This is the only truth when seeing this for what it is. Youngsters getting swept along in a massive festival crowd (a huge staple in manga?!?!)? Unheard of! Scandalous, even!
It clearly was planned but it also is the 3rd evil masterplan we see play out. Everyone acted in a reasonable manner when not taking that into account. Only the reader fully knows, so, whatever.
But alas, the discussion devolved into something nothing to do with this chapter/manga even, lmao.

Now as for the last paragraph.. fat chances of 99.9% that you are wrong and hoping for something that won't happen. The extra chapters are majorly important, ch12.5 hinting at the climax following soon with the festival being well into summer break + ch14.5 literally showing them get rid of male clothing and other items before deciding their next "target". Ch6.9 is that plan playing out.
He most probably is the 5th guy this year or they go through another man every summer break (ch12.5).

Also, the daughter AND the mother ARE devious, lol. She absolutely destroyed a classmates life with the help of her mother and they actively work/ed together on other plans. There might be another twist but that all did happen/is happening.

This is well on track for this mangaka and the psychological tag.

Dex-chan lover
poor guy is getting dragged down with no one there to save his ass

Dex-chan lover
And saying something bad is no big deal normally with family cause you can just apologize and get over it.
I would say this was more than "saying something bad" because it hit MC hard, and he tried to be a good Dad (even with this weird situations). I don't think he is infertile, maybe his Wife or Artist was bad with expressions.

The dad having some results based analysis right there.

"Nothing happened to them, so it's fine I think..."

Yeah I agree her trying to hit the daughter is a bit much. But there was a chance something worse could happen.

Dex-chan lover
This is the only truth when seeing this for what it is. Youngsters getting swept along in a massive festival crowd (a huge staple in manga?!?!)? Unheard of! Scandalous, even!
It clearly was planned but it also is the 3rd evil masterplan we see play out. Everyone acted in a reasonable manner when not taking that into account. Only the reader fully knows, so, whatever.
But alas, the discussion devolved into something nothing to do with this chapter/manga even, lmao.

Now as for the last paragraph.. fat chances of 99.9% that you are wrong and hoping for something that won't happen. The extra chapters are majorly important, ch12.5 hinting at the climax following soon with the festival being well into summer break + ch14.5 literally showing them get rid of male clothing and other items before deciding their next "target". Ch6.9 is that plan playing out.
He most probably is the 5th guy this year or they go through another man every summer break (ch12.5).

Also, the daughter AND the mother ARE devious, lol. She absolutely destroyed a classmates life with the help of her mother and they actively work/ed together on other plans. There might be another twist but that all did happen/is happening.

This is well on track for this mangaka and the psychological tag.

I mean you're all making a lot of unproven jumps, which with they way its written, is what the mangaka wants.

They're throwing out clothes. Could easily be her ex-husbands clothes because she's finally moving on, the list has three names, and she has three separate papers on her desk and a laptop. Could be a dating/marriage service and she's supposed to pick out of these men. There's nothing showing tons of men or that she stalked all these men. She's taking a look at her potential suitors. And then shes checking up on them, no worse than what a girl with Instagram or Facebook would do.

There's no evidence they do this every summer. She merely doesn't spend summers with her school friends. Could have been spending the summer with her mom just hanging out so her mom wouldn't get lonely. Or helping her out if she's sick.

My guess is she has an illness and needs to find someone to look after her daughter once she's gone. The reason she can't drink alcohol.

Also depending on who the guy is she either saved her classmate from an abusive mother or doomed her to some rapist. My money is on the guy being her father and he finally finds them because of the video. Because again, the mangaka leaves it unclear.

The psychological part is how everyone jumps on the bandwagon merely because the mangaka points that way. And also how the family distrusts and treats them because they aren't "real family." Also bleeds out in the comments too.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
They're throwing out clothes. Could easily be her ex-husbands clothes because she's finally moving on, the list has three names, and she has three separate papers on her desk and a laptop. Could be a dating/marriage service and she's supposed to pick out of these men. There's nothing showing tons of men or that she stalked all these men. She's taking a look at her potential suitors. And then shes checking up on them, no worse than what a girl with Instagram or Facebook would do.
I know it's been a while, but this is definitely not a dating service. She's specifically orchestrated this "first meeting" after choosing this guy out of a list of men. Also talk about how they "have to hurry" for "The next one". This isn't a lonely woman who's looking for love. This is a woman with a mission. And the fact that they're outright burning all the old clothes suggests her goals aren't pleasant. You'll also notice entire, pages-long profiles of men she's pondering over. Men, who I will remind you, she's never met before, and are definitely not from a dating service.

Honestly, just re-read Chapter 14.5. You're clearly out of the loop here.

My guess is she has an illness and needs to find someone to look after her daughter once she's gone. The psychological part is how everyone jumps on the bandwagon merely because the mangaka points that way.

Maybe the trees are epileptic. Maybe stop making such massive, directly-contradicted jumps.

Had to check last chapter but yes the sister does give the baby to him, and Touko only got the baby once she was gone.
I said this last time but I just hope the sister doesn't become as hateable or have as bad of an end as the bully did.

Dex-chan lover
I know it's been a while, but this is definitely not a dating service. She's specifically orchestrated this "first meeting" after choosing this guy out of a list of men. Also talk about how they "have to hurry" for "The next one". This isn't a lonely woman who's looking for love. This is a woman with a mission. And the fact that they're outright burning all the old clothes suggests her goals aren't pleasant. You'll also notice entire, pages-long profiles of men she's pondering over. Men, who I will remind you, she's never met before, and are definitely not from a dating service.

Honestly, just re-read Chapter 14.5. You're clearly out of the loop here.

Maybe the trees are epileptic. Maybe stop making such massive, directly-contradicted jumps.

You're quoting it the wrong way. "...Now for the next one. We have to hurry."

Now for the next task. Now for the next step. Now for the next man. Its left unclear on purpose so you bite into it. Shes out of time. Because summers coming, or because she's dying? Again, unclear.

You have no clue whether he was on a dating app and she was looking through suitors. Just because she didn't use the site to meet up doesn't mean she didn't use it to scout for potential suitors. Everything is left unclear for a REASON. The reason most likely being a surprise twist. Why make everything unclear if its just going to end up how the author is insinuating?

You're also just making shit up. "Pages of men". Its three pages. "Men she's never met before" you don't know that "men not from a dating profile" you don't know that.

And again, you don't even think step parents are parents sooo your opinion is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread