“Okaeri, Papa” - Ch. 19 - Discord

Dex-chan lover
Yes? Page 10, is this not disapproval? and no real Communication about "Why" they think so
Go back and read the earlier chapters. These are the two things he's remembering them say now, but the established pattern is that they're concerned. His sister has spent the last 8 worried that the two are planning to blackmail him because she finds all the things the daughter is saying really creepy. His mom wants him to slow down with the marriage, she's worried he's moving too fast.

Dex-chan lover
Kinda feel bad for MC, but at least he's now got two fine yandere to form a new family.

Dex-chan lover
They absolutely disapprove of his choices, and this is even before they met them.

Keep in mind this is Japan. A single mother that can no longer produce offspring? She might as well be blind, deaf, crippled, and crazy, as far as some people would be concerned.

Remember, we’re using an omnipresent reader viewpoint. We may see it as concern (and for the most part it is), but there’s definitely an aspect of derision.
I think you're leaping to conclusions from this chapter alone and conservatives in Japanese society, when we have previous evidence of what they're concerned about and why. Rather than voicing their disapproval or belief that he's doing something socially unacceptable, they're worried for him. His sister is worried that he's being set up for blackmail or something even worse, since the stepdaughter is constantly saying and doing weird things. After his mom talked to the wife, she got REAL bad vibes. She was like "hey, ever think of having another kid? Lots of people are having kids even in their thirties now!" And the wife went "no, but I sure am glad my daughter is a girl!" STRANGE VIBES THERE.

His sister wants to protect him and she's clearly in trouble herself. They've talked a lot, and she didn't bring up the idea that it was wrong to marry a single mother once. Even in this statement, its less a "that's disgusting and beneath you" and more "why don't you just do something easy instead?" They do talk around him having kids of his own, but its never an attack on his wife or that he shouldn't have done what he did because now he can't have his own child.

I think its a clear, intended reading of the situation that the wife/stepdaughter built this situation specifically to drive a wedge between him and his family, who he's close to and who are concerned for him. Especially him and his sister, who is now actively trying to bring up her concerns about the two. By wandering off with the baby, the stepdaughter created a situation where his sister's distrust and fear about her would cause her to explode in a way that is, honestly, hard to justify unless you also share that fear. It's not like she left the baby somewhere. She just got lost holding him, she's a child who got lost holding a child. But since his sister suspects that something very bad is happening, and she's under an awful lot of stress from something we haven't learned, she blew up and said something awful. She didn't want to, and she didn't mean to. She wanted to apologize right away but the words wouldn't come out right.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
It's really fucking funny how the whole atmosphere of a cum inducing Oyakodon is horror. I don't think any guy would get that atmosphere for having an Oyakodon harem.

Dex-chan lover
Remember, there was a "last time", and they were burning someone's clothes as they were moving on to him.
and? maybe last "Papa" called(or tried) the cops? this would every sane Person do, after hearing "knock our Daughter up for me, please".

their both yandere, again MCs(forgot his name) only chance is sex with Touko, maybe he can persuade both to wait a few years. or MC end like the last Dad.

I still think they want a baby from MC as a family, since stealing his sperm is easy for both (see classmate arc)

Dex-chan lover
I think you're leaping to conclusions from this chapter alone and conservatives in Japanese society, when we have previous evidence of what they're concerned about and why. Rather than voicing their disapproval or belief that he's doing something socially unacceptable, they're worried for him. His sister is worried that he's being set up for blackmail or something even worse, since the stepdaughter is constantly saying and doing weird things. After his mom talked to the wife, she got REAL bad vibes. She was like "hey, ever think of having another kid? Lots of people are having kids even in their thirties now!" And the wife went "no, but I sure am glad my daughter is a girl!" STRANGE VIBES THERE.

His sister wants to protect him and she's clearly in trouble herself. They've talked a lot, and she didn't bring up the idea that it was wrong to marry a single mother once. Even in this statement, its less a "that's disgusting and beneath you" and more "why don't you just do something easy instead?" They do talk around him having kids of his own, but its never an attack on his wife or that he shouldn't have done what he did because now he can't have his own child.

I think its a clear, or even intended, reading of the situation that the wife/stepdaughter built this situation specifically to drive a wedge between him and his family, who he's close to and who are concerned for him. Especially him and his sister, who is now actively trying to bring up her concerns about the two. By wandering off with the baby, the stepdaughter created a situation where his sister's distrust and fear about her would cause her to explode in a way that is, honestly, hard to justify unless you also share that fear. It's not like she left the baby somewhere. She just got lost holding him, she's a child who got lost holding a child. But since his sister suspects that something very bad is happening, and she's under an awful lot of stress from something we haven't learned, she blew up and said something awful. She didn't want to, and she didn't mean to. She wanted to apologize right away but the words wouldn't come out right.
To be clear, are you talking about the flashbacks at the end of this chapter, or what we and they found out during their meeting currently covered by the previous chapters?

Because everything they’re saying during the flashbacks, while not overly evil or overblown, is definitely hinting at disapproval and the societal expectations of marrying a divorced woman with a child. And they took place before they really met them. No concern about creepy red flags yet, or bad vibes to be seen.

Dex-chan lover
To be clear, are you talking about the flashbacks at the end of this chapter, or what we and they found out during their meeting currently covered by the previous chapters?

Because everything they’re saying during the flashbacks, while not overly evil or overblown, is definitely hinting at disapproval and the societal expectations of marrying a divorced woman with a child. And they took place before they really met them. No concern about creepy red flags yet, or bad vibes to be seen.
The flashbacks are two lines, which seem an awful small thing to overwrite the characterization that we've seen in the previous chapters. Especially two lines that he's recalling in a moment of stress and frustration.

Dex-chan lover
cause her to explode in a way that is, honestly, hard to justify unless you also share that fear.
It's extremely easy to justify:

1) That's MY baby
2) I TOLD you I don't trust the bitch
3) I told YOU to watch the baby
4) The INSTANT you gave it to the bitch they both disappeared.

Everyone deserves smacks, at the very least.

Dex-chan lover
The flashbacks are two lines, which seem an awful small thing to overwrite the characterization that we've seen in the previous chapters. Especially two lines that he's recalling in a moment of stress and frustration.
Two lines that happened pre series. Where they judged these ladies due to their circumstances, not after meeting them.

Whether we and they now know they might be right doesn’t change they disrespected his choices, and looked down on people he grew to care about. Is all I’m saying.

Dex-chan lover
Two lines that happened pre series. Where they judged these ladies due to their circumstances, not after meeting them.

Whether we and they now know they might be right doesn’t change they disrespected his choices, and looked down on people he grew to care about. Is all I’m saying.
His choices were, and continue to be, objectively bad- even outside the context of the narrative. Like, do you really not know why people tell you not to marry a single mother?

Dex-chan lover
Did they just went home like that? Not even talk it out?
Tbf without like some counselor/neutral third party mediator, i imagine they're all a bit too emotionally on edge to have a proper conversation

Seems like a weird purity culture thing to want to not have a single mother as a partner/someone 'younger' b/c at least for a parent in law an automatic grandchild seems like it should have an appeal versus a biological thing (tho i wonder the family reaction if this was a 'normal' story and he ended up marrying someone young but sterile or came out as a gay lol)

(tho for touka and the mom's point of view, maybe it would've been better for them to target a single guy without any surviving relatives lol unless they specifically wanted someone who still had a family for appearances/whatever reason. Be hilarious that psychological romance aside, that one reason they're doing this/hiding it is b/c the mom's just doing serial killing/assassination on the side to earn money)

Also, anyone know if Kawaii Kanojo-chan is going to be picked back up? (I know this translator is a diff person from the one translating that but just thought i'd ask here too)

Dex-chan lover
That final page:
WELCOME HOME PAPA
images

Dex-chan lover
Go back and read the earlier chapters. These are the two things he's remembering them say now, but the established pattern is that they're concerned. His sister has spent the last 8 worried that the two are planning to blackmail him because she finds all the things the daughter is saying really creepy. His mom wants him to slow down with the marriage, she's worried he's moving too fast.
I agree, BUT... you can see in Chapter 16 Page 15 where he says "No matter who I brought home in the past you always complained. ... Isn't it time to let your brother live on his own?" and on the next page she says (before being interrupted) "IT'S DIFFERENT! THIS TIME I...".

Why shouldn't he think that this is just one more time that his sister is shitting all over his choice in women?

His family seems to have had nothing but criticism for how he's lived and the choices he's made.

Dex-chan lover
His family seems to have had nothing but criticism for how he's lived and the choices he's made.
Even in a normal situation it's a very Asian/cultural thing for families to shit talk your partner (tho idk how many actually go 'i told you so/rub it in your face' if it doesn't work out), but at least he hasn't been dragged into some matchmaking stuff lol

(tho it'd be quite an interesting irony if he ended up being sterile/having stress induced ED or so, wonder if he'd be dumped instantly then after all the time spent on him versus further mind broken/isolated and becoming a full on servant to them)

Dex-chan lover
Ah I see, you're one of "those" weirdos, carry on.
"What's so bad about single moms?"

"Plenty of stuff. Wanna hear?"

"Nah, I wasn't actually asking- I just wanted to virtue signal"

Aight. 🤷‍♂️
Bro bro, please don’t go full on neckbeard incel on us. There’s nothing wrong with a good single mother, especially with an older man.
"Good single mother" is an oxymoron. Your best-case scenario is a widow, since, presumably, she got married, then had a child, then managed a successful relationship until some unfortunate circumstance took him from her. And that's still beaten out by all but the ugliest, and most unpleasant, non-mothers.

I get how we got to this point, but it's still weird to see this... whatever you're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread