Only get updates from chapter after your last read one

Group Leader
I would like to suggest the feature of only getting updates for manga if the chapter release comes after your last read one. at the moment, we get updates to a series regardless of whether it's an old chapter or new, so say if I have read chapter 190 and the group who did chapter 1-189 deleted their work, then someone else reuploaded them, the old chapters would get on my feed as they get uploaded. this is especially annoying for rss feed as it means that you would get spammed with messages for old chapters.

This feature might cause scanlator groups to compete to pump out poor quality speed scanlations. There is a post discussing a similar feature called "Disable multiple new notifications for series with multiple scan groups"
https://mangadex.org/thread/317607

Dex-chan lover
This seems like a somewhat useful feature. Though, would such a feature have issues with titles that have mixed volume/chapter formats (i.e. due to full volume raws being used at the start then switching to magazine raws)?

Group Leader
This feature might cause scanlator groups to compete to pump out poor quality speed scanlations. There is a post discussing a similar feature called "Disable multiple new notifications for series with multiple scan groups"
people already compete that way and if you have already read a chapter by group xx, you wont really bother with other groups unless you want to. this could be done by checking the chapters marked as read. as for the spam of groups, that is also another annoying thing, and you can't just block group x because the only feature available right now, is just not seeing anything from that group on any release. So say i'm tired of group xyz competing on series abc, the only way i can get around it atm is to block said group, but if i follow another series that only they work on, then i wont get any updates or be able to read their work.

Double-page supporter
If this was added, I think it should be only an option and should be disabled by default. It seems decent as a "supporter feature" since lacking it won't have a huge negative impact to anyone. Nor would I say implementing this (if approved) should be a high priority. But I'd probably use it if available.

@JoeyKicks
This feature might cause scanlator groups to compete to pump out poor quality speed scanlations.
Well that sorta happens now. That might become worse if the feature cut off notifications to the current chapter rather than just old chapters.
Say the latest updated chapter was 100. Another group does chapter 90, and you don't get a notification (if the feature is on). Another group does chapter 100 (perhaps with better quality), you do get a notification.

Maybe instead of just the most recent chapter being immune, it could ignore this for the most recent 5-10 chapters. That basically covers most bulk releases. Or maybe instead of how many chapters, it considers the dates.

Also if someone does little bonus chapters, you might not want it to cover those (or you might miss them). Aka you are at chapter 100 but someone did the 85.5 Halloween special timed to release on Halloween instead of sequentially. I'd want a notification for that still. So even though it isn't the most recent chapter, it could look and see 85.5 was not previously uploaded (whether later deleted or not), so the notification is shown.

Users who are viewing this thread