Only Sense Online

Dex-chan lover
@Nami Well he's not wrong.
Those who just kill other players without any provocation, are scums. Even if a game has PvP, it's only fun when both parties are consenting to it. There's nothing fun about being killed by some random asshat when you're just minding your own business, not to mention it's often players who are higher levels that go after low levels players who can't even defend themselves properly.

Dex-chan lover
@TetraSky
Not all pk players bully low lvl people. I still don't see the need to get other people's consent when I'm in pk mode.

Fed-Kun's army
I don't know. The thing about PKs seems too dramatic to me. Yes, it's annoying to die in the game, but it doesn't look like they gain anything from killing people, or you lose much from being killed. And the author treats the PKing really heavily, while not saying much against PVP.

The PK guild master is way too edgy... It was difficult to read those pages. I tried to image that situation (for both sides) in an actal mmorpg and it was so over-dramatic.
Not even mentioning the situation with the pet fox and the angry player.

It's strage how sometimes the story bounces from game-like logic to real world-like logic.

@Zirconium_Corporation
From what I've experienced, most of the japanese MMORPG community tends to, for better or for worse, take their gaming life way too seriously. Unlike most players from other contries, that usually are more carefree and just play to pass the time and, or to have fun with their friends.
For example, on their community It's pratically a taboo to ask someone you don't personally know for anything related to that person's real life, and the people that do that usually are treated as disrespectful or worse. Even If you personally know someone, there is a unspoken rule that you shouldn't talk about things related to real life in public. While on the rest of the world It's fairly common to see that happening and no one seems to gives too much importance to it, and on the case of someone being asked something about their real life by someone they don't personally know, the worst thing that can happen is the person being asked refusing to answer.
PK also tends to be a taboo for most of them, since It's mostly done by ambushing other people, It's considered to be unfair. That's not the case with PVP because It has both parties aggreing to the fight. :x
It's not all that bad though, unlike on other countries, the japanese community tends to be more respectful and organized, which makes gaming with them more productive and fun. :eek:
And of course, every rule has It's exception, I'm not implying that every japanese MMORPG player thinks or acts like that, It's just that a majority of them do.
AND LASTLY~ let's not forget the manga is about the characters playing a VRMMORPG, they are not looking at a screen, they're actually experiencing on first hand everything that is happening.

Dex-chan lover
long life "PK" clan Lineage II 2004+

PK is a legal play feature I hate when someone cries over it!!

PK being in these games is mostly because they run out of content, so "let the players create their own", is cost effective. And popular with those who enjoy "winning", or at least making other people clearly "lose". With a power-gaming focus and organized groups for the end-game content, a good knowledge of the games mechanics and the ability to pick their fights some enjoy just ruining others player sessions by griefing them, such as going around killing non PvP oriented players... good to see that represented here as part of the Asian MMO experience.

... possibly also the reason a lot of people have lost interest in the genre. Though grindy mechanics, high cost of production and the fact the reality doesn't match the fantasy in these manga (no, you do not get to discover novel new skill combinations unique to you) also contribute.

... also pretty boring chapters to read.

@TetraSky If you play a game with PvP, then you are openly consenting to being killed by other players. Are you basically telling me you do it only to whine about it later? Because you're given the choice whether or not to play those games and you still do it.

Dex-chan lover
@Nami There's a difference between PvP, being a duels where both parties agree, and "PvP", being one-sidedly killed while you were minding your own business trying to complete a quest or something.
My issue with "PvP" is the latter. And no, I don't play games that only has PvP without a PvE only server or the option to turn PvP off, unless that's literally the point of the game(any first person shooter), exactly because I was sick of scumbags that were many levels higher coming in zones they had no business to be and just killing the lower level players for "fun", essentially taking "control" of the zone and preventing anyone from being able to actually enjoy the game while waiting for another higher level player to come around and cleanse the PKs. It's always the same thing that happens in nearly every games with PvP.
There's no fun in being killed for no reason whatsoever, there's no fun in being preventing from enjoying the game, there's no "thrill" at never knowing when another player will turn around and start killing you.
Sorry if I want to have fun when playing games, without an asshole showing up out of nowhere to ruin it.

@TetraSky Again, when you play a game with PvP in it, you are opting into that experience. You have no one to blame but yourself. It's as simple as that.

You can whine about people being assholes to you all you want, but you chose to play the game that was designed for that kind of an interaction.

I came here to discuss the latest chapter and instead the thread is just full of people whining about PvP. And not just whining, ignorantly doing so.

Claiming that PvP is an easy way for games to pad out playtime when the reality is a lot of polish needs to be put in to make sure that there isn't any way to game the system. No one gives a shit when you can become a near indestructible God of War through fully utilizing game mechanics if the game is only singleplayer (*cough* Shadow of Mordor *cough*), but let any faction, class or power become too powerful in a PvP game and the community will be up in arms. This is very clearly reflected in games today as well. Multiplayer games usually have more mechanic polish and much more time is spent on MP than the SP.

Claiming that PvP has led to the lessened interest in the MMO genre. Yeah that's exactly why non-PvP servers are always less populated and are even left out of many games. Not to mention the many genres that are in many ways just the PvP aspect of MMOs polished to a shine like MOBAs. Not to mention the absurdity of saying that PvP isn't popular when it's empirically proven to be the opposite. Few games released today have no PvP aspect to them and singleplayer-only games have become rather rare.

Go cry on /v/ and let me talk about my mangas.

@spiderbait I'll go as far to say that it's the sense of "danger" provoked by the PvP/PK systems that make the games have a proper "thrill". When I played Lineage 2 when the game had a balanced penalty por PKers, the game was simply amazing, later on when PKing became a burden so absurd that nobody wanted to do it, the game became dull, boring. Having a chance of the things not going the way you planned because there's a player ruining it was fun. People even made groups to kill the PKers. Some would even be paid for killing them. That made the whole thing feel like a real story being told, or how could I say, made the whole world feel real, because it had it's own rules.

And I think this is the kind of magic that good MMORPGs can bring, and Only Sense Online seems pretty accurate to how a good MMORPG must be done, I relate a lot to this manga (even because I was the one who was searching for hidden ways to make money and ever discovered some good farming spots that nobody else had noticed, so I can relate to Yun's playstyle)

Dex-chan lover
@liamaral
Finally someone who understands it! It's the thrill of PvP which makes the game interesting and as a consequence makes you more prepared.

Unfortunately devs ruined those systems (in many games) because of crybabies and carebears.

@monkey123 it's because people like but don't know. At the same time they até raging (and they hate being on rave), this feeling is what actually makes them push toward and enjoy.

Btw, it's much better when you can't just kill. A ballanced system is the best. I remember that PKs had to call their friends for protecting him while he was cleaning the PK condition. It always turned into a game of hunt for those who wished revenge, somtimes the friends of the PK had to turn PK as well for protecting and this just made the whole Hunt more fun. "once his name turns aggro, kill him!".

Btw, servers where killing had no downside were as boring as non-pvp because people simply had no reasons for not killing, and this turns unfair as well. I think that the feeling that that PK was a criminal on that World was what made it só amazing

Dex-chan lover
I came here to the comments to see people commenting about the manga so that I can decode whether I should read this or not... instead I see arguments about PvP. Anyway, is this any good?

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN Yeah it's a good read. This is the only series I've read so far that fully delves within the In-game systems and have the MC trully play the game instead of being one of those self wanking stories of wish fulfillment.
And yes the MC's character is fully female, and not just androgynous. Sorry I had to answer that, as it can confuse people who read it.

Hard to say, tastes differ and the focus of the manga feels like it has changed a lot in the last chapters. Much more focused on action and large numbers of characters compared to the relatively novel / low key start. Maybe it is going somewhere interesting or more likely it's just run out of ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread