Otomege Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu - Vol. 5 Ch. 26 - The Correct Path

Aggregator gang
It certainly seems like this version of the chapter was done better than that other group's version.

With that said, one thing that bothered me was the use of more importantly as a transition to begin some sentences. Yes, its usage has become very widespread and even common parlance, but technically, it's incorrect. The truly grammatically correct way to write it is more important, without the -ly at the end. The reason behind this is simple: "importantly" is an adverb while "important" is an adjective. The instances in which "more importantly" were used in this chapter are all instances in which "more important" should have been used instead. There was no verb being modified by its use. When you correctly use "more important" you are actually abbreviating a bit, since it is short for either "a more important issue/matter is" or "what's more important is" and so on.

Wall of text continues in spoiler:
Examples
Correct usage of more importantly: "The duchess is carrying herself more importantly than the other attendees at this party. It seems that she's determined to display a deportment befitting her role as the dignified host of this gathering."
Note: In this sentence, the adverb part, "more importantly" modifies the verb "carrying herself."

Correct usage of more important:
"Enough of that line of thinking! (A) more important (matter) is that we must make certain that all of the food is presented to the duchess's guests in a timely manner." I've put parentheses around the words that can be omitted from that sentence, so "A more important matter" becomes "More important," and then add a comma, which is the correct way to use that comparative transition.

A notable exception is if you remove the word more. In that case, the initial word "importanly" modifies the entire rest of the sentence or phrase that follows.

For example, you can say, "Importantly, all of the glasses, plates, and silverware are sparkling," but not "Important, all of the glasses, plates, and silverware are sparkling."

In the second instance, it can be grammatically correct if written as a notification or pronouncement, using a colon. "Important: All of the glasses, plates, and silverware are sparkling." Although that changes the meaning and intent.

The main point is that "more important" should be used for comparative purposes. It is used when something is previously mentioned and the speaker wants to then point out another matter which is of greater importance than the previously mentioned matter(s). When a sentence is started with only "importantly" there is no implicit comparison with a previously mentioned matter, thought, or idea. Using "importantly" without "more" to start a sentence just denotes that the words following "importantly" have been deemed important, but not necessarily more or less important than other matters. Again, when no comparison is being made, using importantly, by itself, is correct.

This probably helps to explain how "more importantly" came into widespread (albeit, incorrect) use.

I can only hope that this impromptu lesson in English helps someone in the future.

Dex-chan lover
@Sola
Which sentences were those?
I think "More importantly, I'm sorry I broke the armor I borrowed from you", and "More importantly, is it alright?" sound correct.

You said it yourself,
The main point is that "more important" should be used for comparative purposes.
and then
Again, when no comparison is being made, using importantly, by itself, is correct.

I think the original context of those two sentences weren't making a comparison with anything too.

Dex-chan lover
*sigh* a part of me want to pot this manga on hold or drop it or stop reading it and wait for 10-20 more chapter and read it again the story is good but mc is fucking dumbass hell even in wn in next arc or 2 arcs later when he moves to ...........somewhere he still act he is a mob and this world is a game with a fixed script

(i say moving so no spoiler there sins you don't know wtf I talk about just act i am a crazy dude with 100 cats or something )

Dex-chan lover
@Sola You have a great big honkin' grammatical tirade going on there, which I approve of! ...Well, I would approve of, if you were correct, which you are not. I'd ask you and anyone else who might stop to read that post of yours (including the writer of this edition of chapter 26), or write something similar to stop and actually consider the context of the phrase "more importantly" , and the fact that it is being said as a person's speech, where such would be most used. Most importantly, it's also not incorrect usage, either; let us take a look at page 12's last panel dialogue. "Was that sarcasm? More importantly... I'm sorry. I broke the armor I borrowed from you." Here, "more importantly" is being used to indicate Greg's attitude and also quality of the following sentence being more important than the prior, which was more of a snarky aside.

Lastly, I'd like to direct your attention to these helpful little primers: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-adverb-the-most-fascinating-pos/sentence-adverbs and https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/we-know-youre-concerned-about-important-and-importantly

In short, it is not a "transition", it's not incorrect, both "more important" and "more importantly" are correct, and "sentence adverbs" are a thing that affect the entire associated sentence, which this particular turn of phrase is used as consistantly and constantly, correctly.

if he is to be promoted to higher 5, what will his rank be? viscount? earl?

Dex-chan lover
Thanks. Much easier to read and understand than the other translation

Thanks for the non-google bullshit, that thing was horrendous...
Though I wish scans were at least x1200. Try to use latest Photoshop's "Preserve Details" upscale or waifu2x for this before typesetting.

Aggregator gang
I get why he still thinks it's just otome game and he's just a unlucky irregularity stuck in. I mean, how can anyone think otherwise seeing this shitty world even exist irl and the characters(people) here still acts like some 2d game characters when correct buttons are pushed so no wonder mc still acts like this.

Users who are viewing this thread