Oversimplified SCP - Ch. 121 - SCP-4999

Dex-chan lover
@Varler because they cant contain him and dont want to

you dont want to lock grim reaper who bring solitude to the dying, that's dick move

OH NO ITS THE WHOLESOME ONE!!! I remembered it the second I saw its number dammit! The tears are coming back!

@Varler Also with regards to that. It seems some changes have taken place on the site, now things are classed in greater detail, with keter now simply meaning that they can not be contained.

Aggregator gang
Sounds kind of dangerous to not interfere with him. For a place that's so easily disposing of humans for the sake of science, 'ethics' seems like a flimsy excuse.

@Ryomi Grug miss favourite Wood club, grug in pain for bashing head with rock, Grug is cold and scared, Who is black white man give grug fire Stick???
Grug feels.... happy now.... Grug... very.... glad...

Contributor
@Varler the (current) Object Class ratings have no basis on whether something is good or bad, only on how easy it is to contain it.
As stated on the Object Classes page:

The Locked Box Test is an informal guideline used to determine an object's most appropriate Object Class. It goes like this:
> If you lock it in a box, leave it alone, and nothing bad will happen, then it's probably Safe.
> If you lock it in a box, leave it alone, and you're not entirely sure what will happen, then it's probably Euclid.
> If you lock it in a box, leave it alone, and it easily escapes, then it's probably Keter.
> If it is the box, then it's probably Thaumiel.

So while this one is classed as Keter because the SCP foundation themselves can't contain it, they treat it as effectively "self containing" because it only appears to people who are alone & about to die, and as such they can't spread the knowledge of his existence.

Here's 4999's newer classing for those confused by the Keter classification.

0mqK3MZ.png

If anyone is interested in the newer system they're rolling out to help clear up confusion about SCP Classes, here's the wiki's guide on the categories and symbols for it:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/anomaly-classification-system-guide

Dex-chan lover
@TaintedAardvark That's the only thing that feels off about this article. Them not wanting to study or get close to learning more about the scp just feels out of character. Are there logs attached to the article?

This one's a pretty good example of why SCP classes don't exactly are what they seem; a completely harmless UNCONTAINABLE old man is Keter, while something like... uh... that one... star.. book... thing, is perfectly capable of overwriting reality, yet due to the fact that it is containable; is Safe

Dex-chan lover
Ugh one of those ones that make me bawl my gd eyes out....

Apparently one of the only witnessed form of interactions, if I remember right, is the entity will offer a cigarette, if the dying person smokes.

Scp is so nice that it even made the organisation not to research him. Because he just does to much good for humanity

Fed-Kun's army
i have a feeling that either he is an angel that is about to bring their souls to the afterlife or the grim reaper. But considering that the persons in contact is calm, id say he is an angel in modern appearance as to keep up with the times.

>Muh locked box
The locked box classification is not a good one, and here's why.
1 - In the earlier SCPs, Keter absolutely is about how much of a potential threat an anomaly is. The locked box is a recent retcon from a community that has notoriously made some questionable decisions of late.
2 - Apollyon is still apocalyptic-level dangerous and Thaumiel is still "this one could actually save us", showing how much locked box has been tacked on.
3 - When a classification system makes an intuitive sense immediately assumed by most people (safe is safe, keter is dangerous) and you have to say "no actually, it has a completely different meaning, here let me explain", you have written something both overcomplicated and counterproductive.
4 - Old Keter referred to the general threat level, not only because of the damage it could do, but also how hard it was to contain. With locked box, all you're doing is narrow the meaning, not make it more relevant or interesting.

In short, locked box can and should be disregarded. It's an unnecessary retcon that only makes SCP lamer and more confusing.

“From an ethical...” ETHICS??? The Foundation can consider ethics???

Users who are viewing this thread