Please Bully Me, Miss Villainess! - Vol. 3 Ch. 52 - I Don't Hate You

Dex-chan lover
god, this arc has been painful to read. I hate this sort of love potion nonsense, and I hate that she's getting off the hook for buying it in the first place. "Oh, but she wasn't actually going to use it" Yeah, see how well that argument holds up when you buy date rape drugs. It's all well and good that you felt bad about it, but why the fuck did you buy them in the first place? Even seriously considering using it is a moral failing, much less actually going as far as paying money for it and taking it home.

And the idea that this will be the inciting incident that will lead to them getting in a relationship just taints the whole thing. No matter how wholesome they might be together, it will always be a reminder of her moral failure. Not to mention it's a cheap cop-out to avoid actually writing an interesting character arc where she realizes her love for her in a natural way. It's lazy writing, and it adulterates the entire story.

Dex-chan lover
god, this arc has been painful to read. I hate this sort of love potion nonsense, and I hate that she's getting off the hook for buying it in the first place. "Oh, but she wasn't actually going to use it" Yeah, see how well that argument holds up when you buy date rape drugs. It's all well and good that you felt bad about it, but why the fuck did you buy them in the first place? Even seriously considering using it is a moral failing, much less actually going as far as paying money for it and taking it home.

And the idea that this will be the inciting incident that will lead to them getting in a relationship just taints the whole thing. No matter how wholesome they might be together, it will always be a reminder of her moral failure. Not to mention it's a cheap cop-out to avoid actually writing an interesting character arc where she realizes her love for her in a natural way. It's lazy writing, and it adulterates the entire story.
I definitely understand your frustration, but if you look back at the way it was sold to her(as opposed to the way it ended up working), Elsa wasn’t buying a ”love potion that will make evie love me”, she was buying a “truth potion that will reveal evie’s feelings”. It wasn’t evie’s consent that Elsa was tempted to violate, it was her privacy. Personally, I think it makes sense that Elsa would be insecure about how Yvonne feels given her contrary behavior. Elsa hardly could have known evie would have such an extreme reaction to aerosolized succubus blood

Supporter
I wonder if Evie will look back at this incident and wonder if or doubt id she truly loves her

Dex-chan lover

1. like mentioned, it was sold as more of a performance booster/truth serum (depending on how you specifically read it) than a "artificially generate feelings" pot
2. giving even a tiny bit of benefit of the doubt, elsa may very well have wanted to figure out exactly what it fucking does before giving it or using it. Not like the advertising was 100% clear. You're the one jumping to conclusions saying she definitely considered using it right off the bat snap crackle pop. Beyond that, we could even claim it sparked her curiosity; after all, again, she didn't use it yet, evie took it of her own accord. Accuse people with evidence, not just with motive.
3. this is most definitely not "the" inciting incident, it is at most one of many. You've got a pet peeve, understandable, but as far as it goes you're letting your pet peeve make you stare at particular trees instead of viewing the whole forest.

Dex-chan lover
Elsa hardly could have known evie would have such an extreme reaction to aerosolized succubus blood

Also, it was under her pillow. She bought it, but nothing further.
What goes on in one's head (intent) can't be proven until action is taken.
  • Yvonne is actually wrong to open someone else's belonging, then having "anaphylactic shock".
  • Elsa is only guilty of "unknowingly possessing succubus blood potion".
  • If anything, shopkeeper is more on the hook for selling misrepresented goods -- or the alchemist for vending it.
Also: I loathe the trope of "compulsed action" (slavery collars, mind control, "magical contracts", etc) in fiction.
It's a poor writer's crutch, unless contemplated and executed exceedingly well.

Dex-chan lover
In my head it's hard to blame either one of them in this situation, because it's fairly clear that the whole scenario was manipulated into existence by hooded potion-maker (who very clearly some future/ alternate timeline version of Elsa). Yeah it's wrong that Elsa bought it and wrong that Yvonne opened it without asking. There is/ would be a moral argument had about this situation normally. However when it's clear that a 3rd party is orchestrating events knowing full well that this is how it would play out, it's kind of rough to apportion blame either way.

I definitely understand your frustration, but if you look back at the way it was sold to her(as opposed to the way it ended up working), Elsa wasn’t buying a ”love potion that will make evie love me”, she was buying a “truth potion that will reveal evie’s feelings”. It wasn’t evie’s consent that Elsa was tempted to violate, it was her privacy. Personally, I think it makes sense that Elsa would be insecure about how Yvonne feels given her contrary behavior. Elsa hardly could have known evie would have such an extreme reaction to aerosolized succubus blood
It's 2024 and with the latest chapters. We can now confirm why Elsa was so eager to buy it. She's been waiting for long years 💀 and she's getting impatient and probably hurting.

Users who are viewing this thread