Please don't have notifications tucked under username menu.

kaza_hesto they could just remove the attribute and the existing search button would already take you to the search page, no extra button needed.

it is needed because of what I said about saving people from having to reenter their search, see previous post.

MavB_Ver to show a dropdown list with no useful informations I need there

You seem to be taking about some other topic. What dropdown list?

I'm simply talking about moving one element of the webpage to a different more accessible location where there is plenty of space for it.

Fed-Kun's army
What I said is that if your suggestion is to be implanted, they should be a dropdown list to show what entries are in there. Say, the facebook notifications are like that right? Or do you say that it should simply function as to take you to another page, which is even worse and totally not worth a spot.

I'm simply saying that I see no value in moving it, or rather I prefer it as is. Anyway, don't expect to change my way of thinking, as I don't expect that from you either. This suggestion thread's main aim is to seek for enough supports that the devs consider it. I'm stil replying because I think that maybe it will be good as references for the incoming people to decide it. You may have more people to support you from those thoughts you spoke out.

That's like the definition of a strawman, changing my suggestion and then arguing against the version you suggested. Anyways, I'm sure none of what you said in that first paragraph. If you want to suggest that please use your own thread and I'll discuss it with you there. If you don't like your own suggestion then don't suggest it? Suffice to say I don't use facebook and don't even understand what your talking about with your suggestion.

You don't see the value of moving notifications?(not suggesting to change in how it functions, just where it is!) I told you the value. It would make it quicker and easier to use, and comes with no drawback, (especially if we in turn moved the stuff already up there wasting space) along with being easy to implement, what don't you grasp about that? "preference" is not reason against. Got anything more substantial? Like that any specific at all? Maybe even something that also shows you even comprehend the suggestion as written and not as you've changed it.

As far as agreeing with me that notifications needs massive improvement. Cool. we could start small, like making it more accessible.

Fed-Kun's army
If that's the case then I can surely say that I'm totally against it, against the moving of notifications. It waste a spot there, I hate it when it's not in the same group of similar funtions under the user menu, so I'm not allowed to say I'm against it?

Hope your suggestions be noticed and implemented, then I will try to make a suggestion so that it will be removed? Unfortunately I'm not really that fixated on it so I will let it pass after all.

That's it, I will not reply anymore. Our thoughts are so diverse so it's useless to talk more anyway.

@MavB_Ver
Again if you hate how notifications works then help me convince them to improve it. Wanting it hidden away because you think its so badly designed is not productive. Like maybe reply to this thread.
https://mangadex.org/thread/168260
Anyway, yes, the notification system sucks. But it's currently the only option for tracking conversations so I still use it, as I am sure do many others. And thus we should make it quicker and easier to use.

It waste a spot there
As already covered,
1. There is plenty of space, plenty of open spots. We could make the icon to trigger it small too.
2. You haven't established that even with you hating notification system so much, that the Manga and Info that do take up space up there are any more useful.

Fed-Kun's army
@truepurple
I mentioned it though?
1. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to use all those space?
2. They are all the same to me as for the usefulness, and if they are grouped under each of their own menu so I have to drop it down to use them, why the Notifications has to stay alone, not under the User menu?

@MavB_Ver

1. Don't misrepresent my point again. This isn't using space to use space, but to accomplish a function. The fact that there is space negates your "wastes a space" counter.

2. What is this "they"? To answer your question (again)- It's the aforementioned function in #1- To reduce mouse movement and clicking for something that requires frequent access for anyone who has conversations on the forum or in comments.

Again, since you agree with me on some issues, why not reply to this thread https://mangadex.org/thread/168260?

Dex-chan lover
Well, buried under all the “blah blah blah”, the point remains that the OP has offered nothing but his-or-her strong personal preference in arguing that a particular one of the thirty two items presently in menus be extracted from its menu and placed where it is more immediately accessible. Some have agreed with a separable proposition that notifications be handled differently, but no one else has expressed support for the extraction.

I suggest that the OP accept that the change will not be made on the basis of the preference of just one user.

Power Uploader
anybody else amazed at this conversation about literally .5 seconds extra time to get to where you want to go?

if ANY suggestion only saved this much time from the current implementation then i can pretty well guarantee its not worth doing. There are much more important things to work on.

What rude disingenuous statements from Oeconomist and Assasinart. I don't even feel like bothering to humor your shity stupid words and point out their BS right now. I'm sure the two of you would be blind to anything said by someone other than yourselves anyway. Almost tempting to point it out in case others take your shit shit seriously, but not now anyway. Hopefully some others can just spot the BS for themselves, if they would please be so kind as to share with the rest.

Contributor
I can't buy into the idea myself, as the time saved quite literally doesn't make it worth it. If a user is using the notification feature that often, it would be far better to just bookmark/favorite the notification page for direct access. Unfortunately, the OP doesn't give the impression of someone who has tunnel-visioned themselves into one idea and can't accept that the idea they presented just may not be worth the time implementing despite there being space available for it.

Power Uploader
lol disingenuous. There could literally be thousands of things throughout the entire site (Any website for that matter) that could be done to reduce a click or two. but if all it saves the user is that 0.5 seconds and can be accomplished in literally just 2 clicks, then IMO its just not worth doing. If you think its rude to state that what is already implemented is quick and easy to access then so be it. No need to pander to every single person out there that wants to eliminate 1 whole click. What next? move every single option out of the drop downs because SOMEBODY uses the feature a lot. Now THAT would just end up with a bad design.

https://mangadex.org/thread/148705

They have a lot of things planned with much higher priority than to save me .5 seconds on a feature that is already very easy to access.

Dex-chan lover
@truepurple

Calling me disingenuous is simply an attack on my motives. Well, let's say that I once caught sight of you, thought that you were the most beautiful human being on the planet, was consumed by envy, and therefore sought to attack you in every way that I might. Clearly, that would be a bad motive. Would my having such a motive somehow mean that, after all, you'd shown that the one particular element (of thirty two) that you want moved should be, even as each of the other thirty one was left in a menu, rather than also being put where it could be chosen with one click?

Please, offer a proper argument, or quit.

Yeah satisfying a single user with a design change as minor as this is prob not going to happen. Especially considering there is actual grouping where they are now, being with things that are related to it. (Notifications being next to YOUR MAILBOX ffs)

This thread should prob be locked before it devolves into an angry insult fest filled with absolutely terrible Your Mother -----------------------------------------------------

is a Reindeer
VIP
Well this is a pretty long thread lol. Friendly reminder to keep it chill.

@truepurple
GnSpo2H.png

Here's a cute preview of our beta notifications

@Plykiya if you click on that bell do you go directly to the notification list or new message or do you still have to click and go down the list and click again?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@truepurple posted:

@Plykiya if you click on that bell do you go directly to the notification list or new message or do you still have to click and go down the list and click again?
You still have to click twice total because there are several kinds of notifications (and making separate top-level icons for each one doesn't seem like the greatest idea), but at least middle clicking on the menu icon directly opens a new tab to the default mention notifications

Calling me disingenuous is simply an attack on my motives.
I am using disingenuous argument to mean a dishonest argument, and speaks nothing of motivation. And your posts have plenty of bad logic and falsehoods built into them.

Oeconomist & Assasinart dishonest argument claims are paraphrased in a way that they should have been said if the bad arguments had been stated in a more direct honest way. But I do not believe I am changing what is being said any, though feel free to tell me if you meant something else.

all it saves the user is 0.5 seconds
BS, why did you stop there, if all it saves is .00001 seconds... whatever. You make outrageous claim like this and then treat it like fact, is very dishonest.

Only one person would benefit.
It's just a flat out lie that anyone spending a moment to think should be able to see.

If you put one item directly on the bar, you have to put 32 items on bar, and that's too much.
No, you don't need 32 items directly up there.

Each item is going to be used as frequently as the next, people checking whos affiliated with MangaDex happens just as frequently as people checking notifications.
This is a false equivalency.

Please, offer a proper argument, or quit.

@Teasday
Interesting. But what if you don't want it opening in a new tab?

Power Uploader
my bad. i just timed it. it was 1 second not 0.5 and if somebody is slow with the mouse maybe add another second.

how is that outrageous? your acting like your suggestion is some kind of miracle pill that will save everyone massive time and hassle and i simply believe that's garbage. It already is FAST AND HASSLE FREE to get to the notifications.

you don't seem to understand any of the previous arguments by others. "simply because there is space does not mean is has to be used" Leads into "if that space is used for this then it may as well be used for other things just as commonly used" Leads into "Too many things up there, starting to look cluttered" Leads into "might as well group up similar things to clean up the mess" leads into "a design that has multiple items under it" and BAM we are back to square one with something we already have. This is something myself and several of the previous posters hinted at and simply understand intuitively.

Sure you only want YOUR item "notifications" up there, but your statement and desire applies to much more than just "notifications" I'd say most of the previous posters understood this. If YOU cant understand this then i can only guess that english might not be your first language and our arguments were lost in translation. if you do understand this........ nobody can help you.

It is very simply BAD DESIGN for what you are wanting to implement.

Very literally the only time i will agree with you on this, is if they rework the website layout. with the current layout your suggestion just makes no sense.

P.S. its already really fast and easy to get there

Dex-chan lover
@truepurple
> Calling me disingenuous is simply an attack on my motives.
I am using disingenuous argument to mean a dishonest argument, and speaks nothing of motivation.
Whether an argument is honest or dishonest is exactly an issue of motivation.
And your posts have plenty of bad logic and falsehoods built into them.
You've studiously avoided any attempt to show any claim that I've made to be false, and to expose any of my reasoning as deficient. Instead, you simply ignored my argument when I first made it, and then attacked my motivations when I reiterated it.

Again: There are thirty two items in the sub-menus. The case that you've made for moving the one that you want moved could be made for moving each of them, which would clutter the page. So you need to make a case that distinguishes that one particular item, or you don't have a viable argument. All that we've got from you is tunnel vision, then vehemence, and then insults.

I have never claimed that each item is going to be used as frequently as the next, but if we do as you have, and simply consider one particular item in isolation, then there would be a time-savings in moving that one item from a sub-menu. And you have never bothered to present an argument comparing and contrasting these thirty two elements. Again: All that we've got from you is tunnel vision, then vehemence, and then insults.

And, so long as that is how you proceed, you have no chance of getting what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread