Ragna Crimson - Ch. 66 - Familial Love

Dex-chan lover
so basically the remaining dragons are all allies and coordinating together? I thought we are going to wipe them one by one but seems like we can have shorter route for dragon elimination.

edit : oh except the Claws I think

Dex-chan lover
There is exposition and then there is this poor attempt at trying to fool the reader that this dragon would be any kinder then the rest we've seen. It feels like the manga is trying to reassert for the 20th time that all dragons are trash. There is no need to remind the reader of something that's been hammered in ever since chapter one. At this point it just comes off as needless shock value.
It seems like the main point of this chapter is lost on you. The main exposition in this chapter is that not that Dragons are cruel, but a Dragon, a King nonetheless, tried to live as his livestock. It gives a sense of discomfort and begs us the question of why would a being so powerful is playing houses. What is he trying to accomplish? For what purpose? To put things into perspective, what would you think if you see a Killer Whale - the apex predator of the ocean, lives amongst a seal pack? It's a no-brainer, completely illogical.

Also, this chapter gives us a semblance of a picture that is the hierarchy between Kings, introduction of new characters, a glimpse of their environment, etc.

Dex-chan lover
whoa, LOTS of worldbuilding, exposition and lore dump here. practically the manga enters a bigger stage and author seems geared for long term story planning

in summary we got:
1. King of Scale, King of Roar, and King of Eyes appearing within a single chapter. We also got to see Glestnnowak, and some get mentioned like Gil(zea) the king of Claw, Banko the king of Bones get mentioned too, and Rex dont remember who is this. seems confirmed all 1st Gen Dragon king come from Modern times they are chummy like old-time comrade from the old world War.

2. its interesting that Bagram actually obey Sigmalio and Kou tenran. Maybe the hierarchy is 1st Gen Bloodline king >>> 2st Gen Bloodline king? or 1st Gen are just built different, with way more OP power in their prime including Crimson, Ferbigott and maybe Glestnowak too.

3. Ferbigott while weakened in ch. 52 can still one-shot the Wood Dragon and a capital city along it, Glestnowak should be around that level too with this hype. hopefully the author can deliver the fight scenes again.

4. Sigmalio is calling the shot in this chapter, despite they all are should be equal. but he is still "defeated" by sun cult before, maybe Sun Saint in his prime actually very strong?

edit: my theory is all 1st gen Dragon king is like an experimented children to become a Living weapon that got too strong? hence Tenran and Sigmalio implied here they are close with each other and want to reunite like before they turned into dragon

Last edited:
Supporter
I'm still amazed how ragna keeps expanding the world and keeps getting more interesting, even after 66 chapters
no other shounen I ever watched/read managed to do that (11k anime episodes, 41k manga chapters)
That was actually something I really liked about Mahou Sensei Negima. Once they shifted out of the grab-your-attention semi-fanservice of the first arc, they really developed the world and characters throughout the course of the story.

Dex-chan lover
Damm i expected the dragon to be an asshole but i did not expect him to just go "lol ok" at letting his wife and kid get eaten, even if they're just pets.
Like holy fuck, even cats can show empathy for fucking birds, meaning these dragons rank about as low as possible on the predator empathy scale.

Staff
Super Moderator
That was actually something I really liked about Mahou Sensei Negima. Once they shifted out of the grab-your-attention semi-fanservice of the first arc, they really developed the world and characters throughout the course of the story.
Mahou Sensei Negima
ah that one. Yeah I couldn't make it through to the part where many said it gets better 😅

Dex-chan lover
Well this was expected however the king of bones second in command showing up this early was unexpected also seems like balgram despite being a dragon and probs wanting to kill humans at least wants to be a decent king compared to the others

Dex-chan lover
I kinda feel like killing people that seemed safe over and over is directly contradictory to the author's previous attempts at humanizing dragons. Killing people like the refugees with Leo and Saix makes it impossible to care about minor and background characters in any capacity because you never know when they'll just be killed to show how super duper mega powerful dragons are. Killing Sigmalio's fake family to show how inhumanly evil the dragons are makes it impossible to sympathize with dragons because any compassion or kindness they show is probably a game or deception.

So now you're logically left with no choice but dragon genocide. Attempting to humanize the dragons falls completely flat because we know they're impossibly monstrous and they'll kill any number of innocent people for no reason at all.

Supporter
I hate myself for finding out about this manga, I wish It had stayed undiscovered until ch. 100… started reading it at 10:00 pm and binge read it until 7:00 am. Withdrawal symptoms: ON, cant sleep either, so damn good.

Supporter
I kinda feel like killing people that seemed safe over and over is directly contradictory to the author's previous attempts at humanizing dragons. Killing people like the refugees with Leo and Saix makes it impossible to care about minor and background characters in any capacity because you never know when they'll just be killed to show how super duper mega powerful dragons are. Killing Sigmalio's fake family to show how inhumanly evil the dragons are makes it impossible to sympathize with dragons because any compassion or kindness they show is probably a game or deception.

So now you're logically left with no choice but dragon genocide. Attempting to humanize the dragons falls completely flat because we know they're impossibly monstrous and they'll kill any number of innocent people for no reason at all.
You are misunderstanding something because of Artemisia’s distorted and disturbing benevolence, they are not being humanized at all, they are TWISTED beings to the core, if you considered their behaviours human at some point, I suggest you have a read again. They lose almost all (if not all) sense of human emotion, whatever remains are residues which end up being twisted in some way.

Dex-chan lover
and Rex dont remember who is this
So far the 1st gen Kings we know of are: Crimson (Wings), Gilzea (Claws), Kou Tenran (Scales), Sigmalio (Eyes), Banko (Bones). Rex is probably Crimson's old name, or the predecessor of Bagram.

Sigmalio is calling the shot in this chapter, despite they all are should be equal. but he is still "defeated" by sun cult before, maybe Sun Saint in his prime actually very strong?
Sigmalio doesn't seem to be combat type but a strategist. Earlier when Tenran shot his car, he said he would be dead if the attack hit.

Dex-chan lover
So far the 1st gen Kings we know of are: Crimson (Wings), Gilzea (Claws), Kou Tenran (Scales), Sigmalio (Eyes), Banko (Bones). Rex is probably Crimson's old name, or the predecessor of Bagram.

Sigmalio doesn't seem to be combat type but a strategist. Earlier when Tenran shot his car, he said he would be dead if the attack hit.
oh good catch. i think its Bagram predecessor. considering Sigmalio dont even want to hear Ferbigott mentioned, then Crimson will be something he want less to hear too i think, possibly considered a traitor no less. but who knows

being a strategist to call the shot makes sense, i just thought all this dragon are prideful/dont like taking order outside their direct bloodline. but then again, crimson said Sun cult manage to push him back in the past, it must be quite an achievement (with crimson help im sure)

Users who are viewing this thread