Reader README.txt

I really liked new reader, that settings page have so much options in adjusting about everything ("linux way style") which is extremely cool?
I have a couple of suggestions about sidebar (not sure where to post it):
1) page counter at the bottom integrate on page bar (always show page numbers, not until u hover on them) and page bar needed to be more contrasty (current page, preloaded pages etc.)(another option?)
2) unused white space below shortcuts is heavily annoys, so i suggest to fill it with: rest of shortcuts, chapter comments or fit in settings page (but i guess it will be overcomplicated)
3) have an option to revert chapter header to old centered style (with page counter integrated in page bar allows close the sidebar without losing the necessary information)
c4FHaMZ.png
About recommendations page, it works fine and I fully agree with the @dylgramac suggestions + it needs some button to go manga main page
not checked on mobile yet, i try that later
used google translate, so if something is unclear... ???

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@krewed
1) Displaying numbers on the page bar notches would make it look pretty busy even on a chapter with only a few pages. Try checking out a chapter with 50+ pages and you'll quickly see it would become an utter mess.
2) The amount of whitespace in the sidebar changes heavily between different monitors, so trying to fill it with stuff is not as good an idea as people with large screens might initially think. Putting the keyboard shortcuts there would clutter it up and distract viewers, and while the comments might not be a bad idea, 1) I couldn't do it right now even if I wanted to, and 2) those comments include spoilers which you probably don't want to see right when you start reading.
3) Layout options are probably going to be implemented sometime in the future, yeah.
4) The manga's title is a link to the manga's main page, and you can also use the shortcut key
Code:
m
if you want.

Group Leader
For some reason, the page always scrolls back to top by itself whenever I read a chapter in long-strip mode (and no, it doesn't refresh the page). I use keyboard scrolling but I'm not pressing anything whenever this happens. This never happened when I was using the beta reader before v3 went live. If it helps, I read on my laptop, and the preload is set to 5 pages.

Also, personal opinion, I wouldn't want to see my unread Follows as recommendations. I know it's a work-in-progress, but what I'd like to see are titles that I don't follow. Maybe popular manga with similar genres to the one I just completed. Readers are supposed to discover something new from the recommendations, not remind you of the titles you need to catch up on. As for the layout, it would be great if the recommendation can adapt the Detailed and Expanded list that MangaDex currently uses. For consistency, and to see an overview of the manga listed.

Anyway great work on the reader! It's cool that this is such a huge improvement from the Legacy reader (I'll never get why some people would like to keep using that when we have this).

I have the same issues as @raveysas (jumping back to top after loading all images (on firefox) and the recommendations), otherwise the reader is pretty great.

Personally, my 2ct on the recommendations: it shows me unread chapters of "reading"-follows. In my case these are usually chapters which I have indeed read but haven't been marked as such. E.g. when 2 groups are uploading their own english translations or gap-filling happens, i usually don't read the chapters again. As such the feature is pretty useless for me. I would rather have some sort of "Users that read/follow this manga also read/follow..." feature.
If this is still intended, this should be renamed, because if I already know these mangas, this isn't really a recommendation anymore.
Maybe 'Read next:' or something similar
It could also be possible to include both.

A new issue has popped up recently for me: Whenever I go to a new chapter, I have to exit and reenter long strip mode for the chapter to display as a long strip. Before I do so, it only displays the first page, and clicking on the page doesn't even advance to the next.

Edit: Never mind, the problem seems to have been resolved.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Fixed some scrolling related issues.

@Teasday The new reader didn't work on my browser previously, but it worked after the 9/8 patch. But now it stopped working again on my browser after the 12/8 patch when I'm logged out of my account. When logged in, strangely the reader works fine. I'm using an older version of Chrome, by the way.

Edit: Working fine now, both when logged in and logged out!

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

A major rewrite of the internal app structure, so although the reader looks the same, even old features may have become unwittingly bugged. Please report, if you find anything.

Speaking of bugs, the swipe bug should now be swiped away ha ha

Contributor
Looks like the reader isn't moving on to the next chapter (or the manga's homepage if at the last one) one you have reached the end of the current one you are reading. Not sure if this is a setting change that I need to redo, or intentional, as it was working earlier.

Aggregator gang
I like the new reader. Especially the loading circle when the next page is loading. This small things is what makes it special. Telling that something happen (or being processed) when certain action is done is a good practice. So that user don't spam clicking or being frustrated of something not works.

Now some minor annoyances that might be not mentioned before: not being able to follow manga directly from the reader.
Sometimes when we read some new series, whether it's from the front-page, or linked from site like reddit, we realize that it's so good that I SHOULD FOLLOW THIS RIGHT NOW. Currently, the way we do this is by clicking the series Title in the reader, and then press that follow button. After that we go back to that last page we are currently reading.

Imagine how nice it would be if there's a button directly in the sidebar of the reader page to follow the manga? People will not forgot to follows things that they love. They don't need to go to different page to follows. And maybe some stats on which manga page (or chapter) that causing users to follows a series would be neat too.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
There's some messed up behaviour especially in the long strip right now that I think I managed to fix. Will have to wait until tomorrow, though.

@ices posted:

Now some minor annoyances that might be not mentioned before: not being able to follow manga directly from the reader.
I definitely agree, and I would have implemented both follow and rating buttons ages ago if I had access to that information via API.

Not sure if it's a bug or intended but the margin between images in double page mode is back. If it's here to stay I can live with it but I liked it better with no space between the images.

Double-page supporter
New reader is nice, but I miss the ability to download single pages. Any chance to get it back? Sometimes I store the images on disk to make memes out of it or use it for a few personal references.

Contributor
Since today I've had a problem where every now and then when trying to move to the next chapter in long strip mode, the entire page completely freezes without anything loading, and Chrome has a huge spike in both CPU and memory usage. It's happened to me multiple times now and it seems entirely sporadic as to when it actually decides to happen, since it's only like every 4 - 5 chapters maybe it will happen with. Closing the tab makes Chrome immediately calm down, and just reopening the chapter again will make it work fine until the problem pops up again.

Group Leader
The bottom "End of Chapter/Go to Next Chapter" bit in strip mode seems to be missing. I also wish there was a quick way to get to the comment section without opening the pane on the right side.

I'm also experiencing the CPU spike and freeze when changing chapters. It's happening quite frequently to me now, though it started as just sporadic. I'm also using Chrome. I'm using long strip rendering.

Some smaller issues: the click to go to next page/chapter isn't working on the long strip rendering. Also the keyboard shortcut to go to next chapter (shift+e) goes to the previous chapter instead.

Custom title
Staff
Developer

Literally this time, it's just bug fixes.

Edit: Sorry it was a non-issue. you may as well delete this comment

Users who are viewing this thread