Regarding Group Delays and Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
Careful guys, maybe these dudes own the Death Note ?
Some people are wrecked in the head, spoiled from the time they were born and thinking they deserve everything to be given to them on a whim.

What's a delay ? Honestly ? I don't like going to the scanlators' website because I don't like jumping around websites constantly, MangaDex made this way easier tho sometimes when I can't contain that "OMG that last cliffhanger left on edge so bad I need to read the next one asap" I jump aboard. Then I need the wait for the next chapter because the same thing happened, but that's beyond the point.
What's a 1-day or more delay ? It's exactly as if the scanlators had just uploaded their work some time later. We've been waiting months or even years for some chapters, what's a day now ?
While I somehow feel that JB's delay of two weeks is a bit abusive, in the end it doesn't bother me at all, chapters come out every week anyway.
The following is just my opinion, it doesn't mean if it's "good or bad", two weeks as JB are doing is to me just "only" using MD as a tool to get more readers on their website and doesn't really look like they're willing to "give and receive", just "receive". Because honestly, most people won't wait two weeks and will go to their website. However that's my opinion, in the end, I still read it on MD and I'm fine with it ! They give a somewhat absurd choice imo, but they give a choice nonetheless. Some groups decided to not upload to MD at all, if I had to pick, I'd pick JB's two weeks delays anytime (I'm still very thankful to them for what they do).

And it's not like I'll insult/be disrespectful to them because of that, because something doesn't sit right for me doesn't mean it's bad (and even if it were, it wouldn't be much of a reason !), we all have preferences, some hate delays at all, that's fine too. But harassing, threatening and bullying groups because of that ? I swear some people got rocked too close to the wall when they were a baby.

Aggregator gang
As Einstein said, there are only 2 infinite things in the world: The Universe and human stupidity, but he wasn't so sure about the former.
I personally don't like delays, not the kind that I can see anyway, but I still try to access any other group's websites that do this, whatever the reason might be, simply because A: I want to read things earlier, and B: I might forget to read it later on. And the main reason I don't like them is because the reader in mangadex is miles better than the others's readers (or it will be when they fix the split chapters problem).

As for "snipers", since it was mentioned earlier: Anyone can do whatever they friggin want to, no one has bought rights to any of the manga/manhwa/manhua we're reading here, this is ffa, and whoever says otherwise is simply being naive. It doesn't matter if there was ill will behind the actions, it's not like we can prove it. We're long past the era of "heroes" who upload manga, now everyone can order a manga volume or a weekly release for cheap. And competition makes things propser, or does anyone like how we can't buy real manga from a good publisher over here over some other that does a terrible job? Ideally, multiple publishers should release the same manga, and only the best should survive (I'm usually quite salty when one of the stupid publishers here licences a manga and they translate like ass, and their releases use shitty paper, and they never include the tonkoubon colored pages in color).

Scanlators are already doing such a great service for all of us out of their own time, energy and money. We can be patient. Those issuing death threats and just plain hurtful messages to any of these groups are really shallow and deplorable. Come on.

Double-page supporter
I know of two groups that have delays on MD. It hasn't stopped me from bouncing to their site to read the new stuff. That this small request can trigger someone makes me wonder about the future of humanity...

Fed-Kun's army
Death threats?? Yikes... I actually enjoy the delays because it forces me to go to the scanlator's site. I usually find more manga to enjoy when I do so it works out well for everyone.

@aerozext
i recently picked up translating, and i know how much work it need to do a ‘few’ pages, and after that hard work, people will bash you because the translation sucked, and it’s not the best feeling.
though there’re also ppl who supported me amd that makes me really happy. yes, maybe it’s just words without feelings but that led me to continue this.
and i’m very thankful for the fact that this site allows a beginner like me to publish my work.
so please refrain from saying such bad things, you got to read manga for free, it’s a friggin luxury. you get to eat cake without paying!
I just took a look at your work. Sorry but it really is bad. It's filled with tons of typos and broken English. I'm not sure if you speak English as a second language but if you do it's not that hard to find someone who speaks English natively to proofread it for you.

Doing this as a hobby doesn't exempt you from criticism either. I make maps for Doom for a hobby and sometimes spend months (Hell, I've got one I've been sitting on for over a year) and when I do release maps I welcome criticism because it helps me learn from my mistakes and improve my skills. Also similarly to how I recommended you get someone to proofread the chapters you scanalate , I generally have several people playtest my maps to give me some suggestions as to how I can improve them and point out any bugs, misaligned textures, and other shit I might have missed.

Fed-Kun's army
DELAY? just go to their fucking site to fucking read the manga.

OR JUST FUCKING PAY THEM INSTANT FUCKING CASH AND DON'T BLAME THEM YOU WEEZY CUNTS.

VIP
Wow, death threats are not okay. It saddens me that there are people out there who would send these kinds of things. Don't be a dick, ya friggin' brats! Ugh.

I personally feel if pagehits/ad revenue is the deciding factor to you scanlating, you shouldn't be doing it, but harassing groups over something as petty as this is just pathetic.
(Seeing as only the most prolific groups could require dedicated hosting when they could just rely on aggregators or imgur uploads, etc. They basically need the revenue to pay for the reader because they put up a reader... *thonking*)

Entitlement is a really bad vice, people should learn the virtue of gratefulness instead. Having said that, while it's a seriously unfortunate behaviour, death threads on the Internet is almost the lingua franca and are always of dubious sincerity. Harassment is a bigger concern frankly since it floods communication lines with pure noise and potentially disrupts the work flow of the groups we're so grateful to. This, of course, does raise the question of why are these groups not tackling the problem appropriately on their end via filtering or whatever strategy they chose to employ and rather take it up with Mandadex. Boggles the mind, quite frankly.

To whatever group was 'victimised' by this: I am sorry that there are assholes on the Internet, but please understand that they are the natives and that productive members such as your esteemed selves are the foreigners. While I'm ignorant of all the details of this, I have to say that complaining about bad behaviour on the Internet is just fuel for more displays of the sort. Please try to be as anonymous or pseudonymous as much as possible for your own safety (something that used to be common etiquette really) and consider filtering these kinds of messages from your inboxes since I don't believe that is Mangadex's prerogative (nor fixing the Internet for that matter).

Please keep up your great work and don't be discouraged. And try to be more rational about this next time.

Fed-Kun's army
@KebabRemover So you are saying if everyone doing scanlation just start to release their own version for a couple of popular manga, then that's a better state of the current situation? Let's wait until this whole community reduces down to people who only do manga they like. Admit it, there are A LOT of manga multiple groups want to do, but they refrain from doing so because there are already other groups working on them perfectly fine. I was in one, and it's not uncommon at all. If everyone thinks like you, we would have 5 versions of Solo Leveling a day, while other manga cease to be translated. That's what gonna happen if people stop caring about other groups. Did you think of that?

People can do whatever they like with their manga, but I do appreciate groups not contesting for one popular manga, and instead use that effort in other series. A world where every person scanlate one popular isekai manga, or one romance manga, etc. is not good for the fan translation scene in general. The diversity we have nowadays, let's face it, is because groups most of the time do respect each other even though they could've snipe literally anything. It's simple courtesy.

I do admit that you are right, wasting time is indeed a personal issue. However, it is a more common issue than you think. I have not seen a manga series here that actually have two or more groups scanlating at the same time for long. Usually, they ended up merging (`Nekyou and Goat&CatScans doing Retired Heroes) or one ended up stopping pretty soon (Fanged Scans version of Nagatoro). It's clear that when they see someone working on it the other stop or reach a collab conclusion because both versions existing without much differences is a waste. Try doing scanlation yourself to see how time consuming this shit is.

@Antairan is also right, competitions do bring better scanlation. But that should only happen when the main scanlation is shit. For example, https://mangadex.org/title/31551/a-returner-s-magic-should-be-special chapter 39. You can definitely make a case that it's free for all and competition brings better quality, but look at that chapter vs. the one Meraki released, which is better? Does that chapter really bring any expectation for Meraki to raise their standards?

Before you jump the horse, let me say that is from a quality standpoint, which is no good. And that is why half of those people complained; if you're gonna be up for the challenge of taking over a manga, then at least be competent. Bad scanlation is something people can criticize. Without it, most people don't improve.
BUT what he did good at is making the chapter available on MD before Meraki could. I only care about quality so waiting is fine for me, but some people are also fine with shit quality for fast releases. The other half who complained about Meraki owning exclusive rights are wrong. Bottomline: I do hate how this guy scanlated chapter 39, but I'm fine with it existing.

Dex-chan lover
i really dont get it what the point send death threats? are those guys fucking real!? what are thinking is going to happen faster translations fuck no :mad:
worst case scanlating well drop any translations work and no one wants that to happen
some ass hole are ungrateful dumb ass :mad:

mud

I might not like delays, but to the people sending threats ask yourselves WTFWJD?

Group Leader
Good grief... Who in their right mind sends death threats... Over manga... FREE manga at that... I can not wrap my mind over that conduct.
Humanity could use some help...

Dex-chan lover
A modest proposal: Have a setting, off by default, that hides chapters that are subject to the group delay. If someone doesn't like group delays and they would not go to a group's site anyways, they can turn on the setting and not have to see them.

Even better proposal: make it so other people can turn on this setting so when someone complains about it we can make it so that they don't see it in the first place.

Best proposal: Anyone that doesn't like group delays can go do a better job themselves and not have a group delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread