ReLIFE - Vol. 4 Ch. 68 - I Really Hate This Kind of Girl

Kariu is so emotionally unstable. She easily hurts many people because she wallows in her insecurities and inferiority complex. She is very selfish. This is not her first time doing this already. Gosh. I hate her the most. So, last time she stole to harass another girl because she's jealous. Now what?

Aggregator gang
@Moth
Rather than selfish: she's a complicated human being with complicated emotions. She doesn't mean to hurt people most of the time and it's really important to notice that she KNOWS she's in the wrong here. But changing is something much more difficult than what you seem to think.
She already apologized for something wrong she did (Chizuru's bag), so it proves she can own up to her mistakes.
Rather than hate, I feel pity for her. It's a very relatable thing speaking things in the heat of the moment and regretting afterwards.
Btw, by your logic you should also hate Hishiro, as she's always saying things that hurt other people, the only differences being that she's cold blunt while Rena is hot blunt and that she doesn't even sees what she's doing wrong.

TL;DR: Imo, no character here seems deserving of hate, but pity/understanding. They are on the long hard road of change and will fail many times till they become better versions of themselves.

Yeah, Kariu is an annoying character, but that's because she's very human. She's prideful out of insecurity, and a jerk out of frustration. She really should apologise and make up with Tamarai, and at some level she probably knows that, but when you are in the middle of an emotional turmoil, it's hard to see beyond your own problems, and it's easier to hate someone else than to accept your own powerlessness.

Instead of contributing to any meaningful dialogue surrounding Kariu's character, I'd just like to say the final panel is very funny out of context.

major props to yayoi sou for writing such a realistic character (kariu). she’s just so incredibly human

I have a love hate relationship when it comes to Kariu...what to do

Double-page supporter
I don't get why people despise these characters so thoughtlessly when at the end, they're all so human and realistic, and it's so important they understand their flaws that they're able to fix it! That's what makes them amazing because they're creating their own development, of course getting help, but these situations is testing their relationships and reflecting their flaws in order for them to grow as better human beings. How can you hate these types of characters?

Fed-Kun's army
"Let me carry you off while you say I should leave you alone. Whoops, we fell. What's wrong? Did you injure yourself?"

Ohga's so inquisitive immediately after messing up and potentially worsening Kariu's sprain. Like, at that point, the best thing to do is to leave her alone like she urges you to. You don't get up into someone's face after you've hurt them whether it's accidental or not, when they've made it clear they want you to leave them be, unless you want to hurt them.

I get that she's not mad merely at him. That there's a whole lot more going on. That she just wanted him to not notice that she was injured because of a warped sense of pride. But all the context Ohga has is that she wanted to be left alone, he went against those wishes and physically forced her up, only for that unstable setup to get them both to stagger and fall down unnaturally, leading to Kariu crying out in pain. The only thing that should be going through his mind is that he messed up and injured her.

For a supposed dense guy he somehow seems to see right through everything and inquires deeper instead. We get the 'heart-thumping' chivalric line of "guy can't leave crying girl be, it wrong" at the cost of common sense and character. Really forced, really disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread