Ruri Dragon - Vol. 2 Ch. 13 - Don't Need to Be Besties

Dex-chan lover
Back when I was Ruri's age I actually knew the names of everyone in my class yet never talked to any but three of them, lol. Ruri is actually doing the opposite. She talks to almost everyone but doesn't remember their names. I wonder which is the more common condition.

Dex-chan lover
Is... is Ruri just getting grilled for being an introvert? Am I missing something, or are we in the "curing introvert" arc now?
Ruri isn't actually an introvert, though. She's shown many times that she's very extroverted with people she knows. Her problem is exactly what Maeda says: She doesn't care enough about other people to start making connections with them. That isn't an introvert trait. It's mild antisocial behavior, especially for a Japanese teenage girl. It's probably a side effect of her hikki trait which according to mom might be a dragon personality trait.

Maeda is the only proper introvert so far.

Is... is Ruri just getting grilled for being an introvert? Am I missing something, or are we in the "curing introvert" arc now?
Ruri isn't actually an introvert, though. She's shown many times that she's very extroverted with people she knows. Her problem is exactly what Maeda says: She doesn't care enough about other people to start making connections with them. That isn't an introvert trait. It's mild antisocial behavior, especially for a Japanese teenage girl. It's probably a side effect of her hikki trait which according to mom might be a dragon personality trait.

Maeda is the only proper introvert so far.
The Rewrite characterizes her very differently than the Raw. In the raw she's much meeker. Her "not caring about people" is a byproduct of how badly she handles any kind of attention. The rewrite makes her avoiding the spotlight a calculated move, and gives her so much force of character that one can only reasonably conclude she just doesn't care.

RawRi is more "Please don't notice the horns..."; ReRi is more "I guess I'll blend in and avoid attention."

Dex-chan lover
This manga is becoming a more detailed and authentic depiction of school life than I could have ever imagined. At one time, I also arranged a detailed interrogation of mutual friends in order to find an approach to people who, for no clear reason, ignored / were angry with me and could not clearly explain the reason so that I could correct it.

Back when I was Ruri's age I actually knew the names of everyone in my class yet never talked to any but three of them, lol. Ruri is actually doing the opposite. She talks to almost everyone but doesn't remember their names. I wonder which is the more common condition.
Honestly, it still surprises me when people say they don't know the names or don't personally know all the people in their class. I was a terrible black sheep at school, but I knew everyone since childhood. Even the class queen who I've only exchanged a few words for the whole 10 years, lmao.

Ruri walking up to someone she barely knows for lunch is more shocking to people than her being a dragon hybrid.
A typical reaction of classmates when loners show some kind of initiative. At one time I even liked this attitude a little, because you felt that people were paying special attention to you. True, this also guaranteed that any failure for you would end much worse.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The Rewrite characterizes her very differently than the Raw. In the raw she's much meeker. Her "not caring about people" is a byproduct of how badly she handles any kind of attention. The rewrite makes her avoiding the spotlight a calculated move, and gives her so much force of character that one can only reasonably conclude she just doesn't care.

RawRi is more "Please don't notice the horns..."; ReRi is more "I guess I'll blend in and avoid attention."

What the flying fuck are you talking about? I'm now rather convinced you have very shitty English comprehension. There is nothing different in the English version of Ruri. She is just as shy and she also prefers avoiding attention because she's shy. She isn't any meeker in the Japanese version and we can tell that from the way her face looks whensver she overcomes her shyness. Ruri is a mildly antisocial extrovert in that she clearly prefers being with other people, which makes her an extrovert, but is too shy to initiate connections, which makes her slightly antisocial. The fact that she can't remember names is exactly the same in both Japanese and English versions. She just doesn't care enough about making connections with other people like Maeda says, unless when she's forced by someone like Maeda or Kashiro to actually try. When she does try, her forceful extroverted personality comes out. You can see in her serious expressions that the forcefulness in her words matches the intent of the mangaka. Nowhere in the manga so far is it implied that there's anything calculating about her behavior. THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS CHAPTER IS HER TRYING TO FIX THIS FLAW OF HERS! You're either literally making shit up or just don't understand how English dialogue works. This is getting fucking annoying. If you have a problem with this manga, just stop reading it, per fuck's sake!

What the flying fuck are you talking about? I'm now rather convinced you have very shitty English comprehension. There is nothing different in the English version of Ruri. She is just as shy and she also prefers avoiding attention because she's shy. She isn't any meeker in the Japanese version and we can tell that from the way her face looks whensver she overcomes her shyness. Ruri is a mildly antisocial extrovert in that she clearly prefers being with other people, which makes her an extrovert, but is too shy to initiate connections, which makes her slightly antisocial. The fact that she can't remember names is exactly the same in both Japanese and English versions. She just doesn't care enough about making connections with other people like Maeda says, unless when she's forced by someone like Maeda or Kashiro to actually try. When she does try, her forceful extroverted personality comes out. You can see in her serious expressions that the forcefulness in her words matches the intent of the mangaka. Nowhere in the manga so far is it implied that there's anything calculating about her behavior. THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS CHAPTER IS HER TRYING TO FIX THIS FLAW OF HERS! You're either literally making shit up or just don't understand how English dialogue works. This is getting fucking annoying. If you have a problem with this manga, just stop reading it, per fuck's sake!
This is a long rant. I can tell you can't read Japanese. I don't know how to discuss this with you if your only point of reference is the English version and their expressions, and your default position is "Fuck you, are you stupid, you dumb dumb translator man? Have you considered not being dumb?"

The Japanese version has her dreading attention, and passively avoiding interactions with people. Even when she speaks up, like in the case of her mom in Chapter 1, when the horns came in, her responses are flat, and matter-of-fact. A flat "だよな” (Right/I figured/etc.) turns into a sarcastic "Nothing escapes you".

Dex-chan lover
Japanese to English translation isn't one to one. Some things are either a) Lost in translation or b) Understated compared to the Japanese counterpart. It's why I have tried learning more Japanese because I feel like I never get the full story sometimes official or unofficial. Also you are getting way too worked up over someone's interpretation of a fucking manga.

Dex-chan lover
I just realize something about their uniform. Is it summer? Their uniforms look rather light.

Dex-chan lover
Also you are getting way too worked up over someone's interpretation of a fucking manga.

BuyVelomobiles is a troll/asshole who bitches about every manga they post on for translation quality while stating generally completely out of left field criticisms of the material, and sssr is tired of them too and snapped.

I will acknowledge Ch7-9 of Ruri Dragon interpreted the dialogue between Ruri and Aoki the Dragonslayer strangely because they chose to interpret it into a specific dialectic of twitter-teen, but BV is absolutely interpretting beyond that differences in how the languages are composed and transcribed as changes to the story. Hell he argued last chapter that Maeda isnt an asshole because like most normal people Ruri has a level of associative prosopagnosia

it took me 12 years and i still dont believe i could actually associate the faces of all my classmates from k-12 with their names.

Users who are viewing this thread