Ryuu to Yuusha to Haitatsunin - Vol. 3 Ch. 18 - The Children, the Smiles, and Reemployment

Michel Foucault:
We live in a society

________

Jokes aside, Volume 3, Chapter 18, feels reminiscent of Foucault's work regarding disciplinary and punitive institutions.

It is called Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison.
You can see parallels between Discipline and Punish and this chapter.

Look at the punishments designed by the government official in the Idazig Legal Office; that official with the mask and turban mentions that "educating", or more accurately, disciplining the sinners will be more productive in the long run. This is in contrast with direct means of torture, such as curses and drugs, which have limited effects—either because they wear off or they aren't strong enough to have a lasting effect on the target.

Going back to Foucault, he refers to Jeremy Bentham's idea of a panopticon, originally a model of a prison. You had a watchtower in the middle, where guards could see all the prison cells in a circular fashion. So guards could look in the cells, and prisoners could also see the gaze of the guards. This unequal gaze meant that prisoners did not know when they were watched closely, even though the guards could possibly have times when they aren't observing the prisoners(i.e. having breaks). With the addition of rules, the prison wardens no longer had to punish prisoners directly; they could threaten punishment at any time through psychological means. So prisoners are encouraged to follow the rules at all times and they feared punishment even when they weren't breaking the rules.

You don't just enact crude and violent judgement directly. You invent rules for people inside these institutions like school, the factory, hospitals, prisons, etc. Prisoners reinforce the behavior of others; the people in power no longer have to control the behavior of idlers, criminals, and the like in society, because the system reinforces those rules, making it ruthlessly efficient for surveilling the population and controlling it. This is how the panoptic society is made and it has evolved to be a metaphor for basically a great amount of disciplinary institutions in society(panopticon) besides just prisons.

Apply this to society at large and viola! — you have a model for controlling society.

Suddenly I understand how the Ministry of Silly Walks came to be.

Dex-chan lover
Took me a while to realize that "education" guy wears a mask.

This does give some nice outlook on society and how "punishment" in broader term work in general. Productivity is nice and all, but how much should we give for it? Then again, that probably won't be a question most of us commoners have to face directly. That's the kind of thing rulers (whether it's king, president, or even nobles and politicians) face and decide.

That aside, I envy the kid in last pages. I want to know how boobs under chainmail feel too.

Also, thanks for the translation as always!

Dex-chan lover
Im starting to like half-glasses even more, but I already liked her a lot before. Something about a character with a great devotion to her goals is nice.

Also I want soup.

Dex-chan lover
I want to see how to make an Anime just to see how will end the duel in the page 31 of those chivalric mice

Ah, yes. A restricted confidential re-education facility to create obedient and unquestioning labor forces for the prosperity of... Idazig!

Dex-chan lover
I like her moment of questioning her ideals. It's easy to punish criminals, they deserve to be punished and "reformed" since they broke the law, but children on the other hand, innocents that have broken no laws nor even understand them? It's harder to justify correcting them thru punishment or "aggressive correction methods".

Users who are viewing this thread