Saihate no Paladin - Vol. 5 Ch. 24 - Alone

This is good. Everyone is screwing up in a believable way. That fear of being alone is definitely a huge weak point for Will, especially due to the undead god having similar motivations for wanting undeath to spread.

The best part about this series is how real and true to the characters it is, as well as how vulnerable Will is especially considering where he stands and his power gap. I really hope this series keeps this tone, it's fantastic.

Double-page supporter
This may be the only time I ever wanted the "angsty hero" arc to last longer. Will's moment of darkness is so compelling.

Fed-Kun's army
@kiraidesu
I agree. It was so fast as well, gives this feeling that this seeming perfect hero is a hairs breadth from becoming some demonic revenge knight.

Since it was this fast I hope they revisit his darkness Cuz his spooky looks have been scarier than anything else in this manga

Fed-Kun's army
Now this is what you call taking things too far

The realization he had was important. He's stronger than pretty much everyone else. But then he took that and came to the conclusion of "angst".

Fed-Kun's army
@Petnavis
Exactly. Not all premises involving kidnapping/stranding/exile/time travel or anything else of the sort are isekai, and not all of them are subject to the narrative problems specific to isekai.

@HolyDemon
Aside from what Petnavis said, it's important to remember that all tropes—especially major ones—are tools with an opportunity cost. Using them just to take creative shortcuts cheapens the experience, which may be fine in a parody or a decidedly schlocky romp but feel unnecessary in an actual solidly written narrative. Amnesia is a great example: if you build the narrative around it and use it to subvert expectations and/or gradually reveal plot-critical details, you get something as interesting as Memento or Mulholland Drive, but if you just use it as a device to create artificial drama or conveniently escape a difficult plot situation in an otherwise serious story, you've damaged the integrity of your writing.

That being said, I don't think The Faraway Paladin's use of isekai tropes has been a pronounced liability thus far (if anything, the wyvern suplex is a better candidate), but it's hard to argue that it's nothing more than a creative shortcut completely unnecessary in a story like this, and was most likely put there just because it's trendy.

Double-page supporter
+1 agree with @/kiraidesu. when i read this chapter i was ride or die with emo will LMAO

Fed-Kun's army
Will smack dis fool!

Haven't seen a straight "I'm strong so I can't rely on others angst fest" in a while. Strangely I'm more ok with this than most, it feels a lot more earned, that and hopefully it will get nicked in the bud.

This doesn't supprise me, he already lost his parents. Yet didn't go into mourning and set off into a journey so of course he would grow a yandere sid because he wants to cherish people he loves. Menel is his first ever friend. It hasn't been a long time since he lost his parents... of course he would snap.

Dumbass loli giving the finishing blow to him. Man's is struggling to even walk. This was expected at some point though, because the MC was just so isolated from how the outside world was. He has no common knowledge and he has experienced nothing like what he's experiencing now before and after he was isekai'd. Would've liked if they gave him a chapter or two before Menel reached him though. Would've been great character development.

Users who are viewing this thread