Saihate no Paladin - Vol. 5 Ch. 24 - Alone

Not gonna lie, having Menel die would have been interesting, not only for allowing our hero to so utterly fail but to show the repercussions on his psyche and future relationships. That being said, I'm very relieved to see Menel alive and fully expect this mini trauma to sort itself out by the next chapter, but who knows...

Supporter
@petnavis the benefit of this story being an isekai is that it gives context to the mental struggles he is going through. I do agree that a lot of isekai stories would likely be better if they weren't isekai. however I think that in this instance as it constantly is using his past life to provide his motivation for doing things it is justified.

Dex-chan lover
Lol, Jesus Christ. This arc was rather awkward to get through in the novel too, but the artist is really going above and beyond to make Will look like he's about to start eating babies for breakfast.

Dex-chan lover
@petnavis this particular story at least benefits from the "MC is overpowered" isekai trope, as in this chapter that is exactly what alienates Will from his peers

Aggregator gang
@petnavis
I think about this 50% of the time I read isekai
I legit forgot this was an isekai manga
@Yuwenn
Its not just that, its nice that he isnt all powerful.
He wasnt strong enough to protect those around him all the time

Fed-Kun's army
"whyyy are you making that face?" 😗
BECAUSE OF YOU YOU DUMB BICH

Dex-chan lover
You know you went off from the deep end if your goddess comes to ask are you alright

Dex-chan lover
Folks that are mad at Bee, do you forget what it's like to be angry, despairing, or some other intense emotional state? The words just flow out sometimes... She's not actually angry at Will, but that anger probably stems from the fear of losing Menel and others (e.g. if Will gets himself in trouble again) that she's become close to.

In fact, as others have mentioned earlier, Will needed to realize the reality sooner, otherwise he risks putting the entire operation at risk if he can't manage to understand the actual strength of his forces, as more situations like the Chimera could come up again.

Bee also doesn't know Will's backstory... so when someone more powerful for you has a scary look, wouldn't you be anxious too?

Dex-chan lover
Oh no poor Will, I don't think I've ever really seen an isekai protagonist where one of their problems is that they're way stronger than everyone else around them. At least not like this, the alienation Will feels and the despair and fear of being totally alone like in his last life is really tangible here, the artist is amazing at portraying that. Hope Menel can get Will back
Thanks for the chapter!

@berryoragami I think it's somewhat comparable to the solitude that the hero felt from that novel where the demon queen asked the hero to join her. He was just too strong compared to everyone. Ofcourse it's even more prevalent here since even though there's a gap between him and other people, he's still nowhere strong enough to fight the ones that could come later on in the story (e.g the sealed demon lord/king).

Holy shit. Actual threats, problems, and consequences... in an isekai?!?? Yes, more of this please.

Sticks & stones may break my bones but words will turn me into a terrifying hollow shell of myself that seeks self-destruction in endless combat.

Users who are viewing this thread