Saihate no Paladin - Vol. 5 Ch. 24 - Alone

Dex-chan lover
Oh no...
when MC gets all emo like this, the bad end is looming over everyone.
:'(

By the way, what happened to the chimera?

Fed-Kun's army
@Shakur
It's funny that the whole isekai setup basically only served this little bit of character development so far (and a less significant conversation back in the first arc) and could have been entirely avoided if the author wanted to. It's amazing how pretty much every fantasy story until late 90s worked just fine without it but now it feels like the authors think it's mandatory to get a good story going.

Will you baka! Blood and Mary told you to never do things on your own! (QAQ)

that was...kinda heartbreaking. I hope menel managed to restore his humanity, as he kinda seem to be losing it. Hell, even the deity is concerned about him. and if he did some gay stuff i aint complaining

Dex-chan lover
I do love how the conflict of this arc, highlighted in this chapter, is that Will ultimately just wants peers, friends, equals... but he was trying desperately not to think about how OP he really was.

BLESS MENEL STILL ALIVE I SWEAR I WAS GOING TO LOSE MY SHIT
TYSM FOR UPDATE LOL

Dex-chan lover
Sometimes a Saber could also become a Berserker.

@glueweeb aw... I wanted to see it getting killed. But it was strong, hard to believe it would just die like that.

Dex-chan lover
Gotta say, that was totally the midget's fault... Damn the merchant had to shut her up better, she ran her mouth and totally destroyed Will's mind, so yeah, enjoy the actions of your rage for a while just like Will had to enjoy the consequences of the battle too (his fault or not, prepared or not, this is his mission and his party so is his duty), at least until Legolas performs some talk no jutsu that hopefully it will work and we won't have an emo arc.

I totally forgot about that demon sword.

my heart hurts.... but i'm happy to see things progressing to will growing as a person and learning from his mistakes

Fed-Kun's army
God, this was a heavy chapter. Heavy, heavy.

It's painful (and interesting) to see how extremely distraught Will has become over this turn of events, in realizing that he was being wilfully ignorant of where others stand in relation to him. But the thing is, he's not wrong to want peers, he's not wrong to rely on others, he just has such deep emotional complexes that he loses sight of the context.

Will made a mistake, and it almost cost him the pain he resolved to never allow those precious to him to receive again, but as a result he's about to make another mistake if Menel doesn't manage to stop him. Being different, and being cognizant of how much more powerful he is, doesn't mean he has to stop himself from believing in others, and it doesn't mean he has to isolate himself. He may still crave for an equal in other terms, but he doesn't have to be alone, and the meaningfulness of relationships is not measured in how your strength compares.

I really hope he can realize this soon, but I feel that it's going to take work, even once he snaps out of his current trance.

@moozooh Casual reminder that classics such as Chronicles of Narnia, Alice of Wonderland, Peter Pan, and Wizard of Oz are all technically isekai, ie. somebody being transported to another world.

Precursors like Robinson Crusoe or Lord of the Flies, where characters are thrown off their regular life into an alien environment, should technically count as well. Does it really matter if this "new, strange world" is in a different dimension or just a deserted island?

Isekai isn't exactly a recent storytelling technique.

Fed-Kun's army
@HolyDemon There's a lot of nuance and differences between the stories you mentioned and typical isekai stories that would take me an essay to fully and accurately explain. In the stories you mention the point of them being sent to another world is for a fish out of water type story where they have to struggle through/adapt to their new environment.

With that in mind take this manga for example - what exactly does it benefit from with being isekai? I'd say very little. With the stigma attached to the genre I'd even say it's a net negative to have this element in a story this archetypal because it brings into existence our modern world in the back of the reader's mind. It would've been significantly better to have had the reincarnation in-universe as it would've allowed the author to show and not tell as much, something that most manga authors are utterly guilty of, since the MC would've been more familiar with the fundamentals of the world and would've allowed for more naturally flowing dialogue instead of exposition.

I genuinely do not believe most isekais actually benefit from the isekai foundation and would benefit immensely if they were pure fantasy - especially since too many authors use it as a crutch.

Users who are viewing this thread