Saijaku Tamer wa Gomi Hiroi no Tabi wo Hajimemashita - Vol. 8 Ch. 28

Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jul 2, 2020
Messages
432
OAo67UQ.jpeg
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Mar 17, 2025
Messages
450
i get that it's the norm in this world but why is it such a go to in a lot of Japanes isekai and fantasy settings to just get a slave like you go out to pick up the news paper? it's kinda odd
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
264
she wasn't leaving yet, right? why didn't at least one person escort her after all that lmao
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Aug 14, 2019
Messages
1,563
You know the best thing about Ivy having the kitty?


She got him without using her tame ability!
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
3,280
Am I the only one who finds this manga slightly hard to follow?
I can't say why exactly though.
Feels like the pages are out of order, or there are more two-page spreads with dialogue across them, than you'd think. Feels like we get the end of a sentence a few times before the start, like on the page before they tell her to get a slave.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 8, 2023
Messages
423
Am I the only one who finds this manga slightly hard to follow?
I can't say why exactly though.
It doesn't feel like a problem with the TL for me personally, just how the panels flow into the next panel, things feel kinda of disjointed. Almost like I'm dreaming this stuff rather than reading it
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
May 13, 2018
Messages
150
It's like a coincidence that the translation came out with a new species of cat appears in IRL and what's funny was, this manga had made the big cat returns while IRL we had small cat instead. It was all over YT few days ago about this new cat.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
2,462
isn’t it more just a result of her not finding a slave that matches what she’s looking for in the moment? This is the most slave heavy series I’ve ever read with even some of her current adventurer buddies doing time as slaves after failing a quest or two. It’s just the only real punishment they use. I don’t recall her being that weirded out by it. Of course she thankfully met a much better option than a slave after this




Big kitty can only protect her in the woods and there are times she needs to go into cities especially when winter hits. And as this arc has shown, cities are infinitely more dangerous than the woods
Iirc from when I read the light novel it was a bit of both but she was getting increasingly very uncomfortable and stressed, so she ultimately chose not to and then had her good encounter.

Luckily, this arc of the story is the most it's mentioned from what I've read (3-4 volumes) though it did make me uncomfortable enough to nearly drop the ln BC it was so constant.


I do agree with others that the prominence of slavery in this author's work is very uncomfortable. I do also get they're trying to use debt and criminal slavery as a stand in for a prison system in the world.

I really don't know why it's treated this way by a lot of authors but I did kind have a 💡 feeling around the topic when I read about slavery in Japan and Korea on Wikipedia a while ago (both manga and k comics have a slavery depiction problem) and how both countries had very VERY prominent social caste systems that included it historically. It was worse in scale in Korea from what I could tell but the debt and criminal slavery idea seems to be a holdover of that era of their histories.

I have noticed many times with otome isekai that you will find Japanese nobility ideas transposed onto European Ambience nobles in the stories, so the slavery history seems to be in a similar ball park.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Aug 15, 2020
Messages
2,544
Man this is the first manga where i think... maybe she should get a slave, big cat can only help outside of the cities, unless now her buddies say something like "you can totally register the big cat"
Big cat is a legendary class monster. Registering it would be like saying, I can murder this entire town on my own and there is not a goddamn thing any of you can do to stop me. She could certainly try to register it, but that seems like it would just cause more problems. Every two bit noble with half as much common sense as they need would try to recruit her/enslave her
 
Group Leader
Joined
Aug 15, 2020
Messages
2,544
Iirc from when I read the light novel it was a bit of both but she was getting increasingly very uncomfortable and stressed, so she ultimately chose not to and then had her good encounter.

Luckily, this arc of the story is the most it's mentioned from what I've read (3-4 volumes) though it did make me uncomfortable enough to nearly drop the ln BC it was so constant.


I do agree with others that the prominence of slavery in this author's work is very uncomfortable. I do also get they're trying to use debt and criminal slavery as a stand in for a prison system in the world.

I really don't know why it's treated this way by a lot of authors but I did kind have a 💡 feeling around the topic when I read about slavery in Japan and Korea on Wikipedia a while ago (both manga and k comics have a slavery depiction problem) and how both countries had very VERY prominent social caste systems that included it historically. It was worse in scale in Korea from what I could tell but the debt and criminal slavery idea seems to be a holdover of that era of their histories.

I have noticed many times with otome isekai that you will find Japanese nobility ideas transposed onto European Ambience nobles in the stories, so the slavery history seems to be in a similar ball park.
This series has a particularly strong attachment to the slavery trope since, as far as I can tell, it is literally the only punishment they have for any crime. Your business isnt going well and you can’t pay back your loans? You become a slave. You’re an adventure who failed a mission? You become a slave. You kill someone? You become a slave. You run a giant child slave operation? You become a slave

Obviously, the conditions vary heavily based on the reason why you became a slave but I do find the world building attached to it fairly interesting. Other series will just randomly mention slavery once so that MC can have a new companion, and they never touch on the topic again (Unless mc needs more slaves). But here, it is a significant cornerstone of their entire culture. At the very least, the series explores the ramifications and meaning of the slavery in a better way than those that just casually mention it once.

and later volumes do kinda imply
there might be some connection between this, magical contracts that bind people to certain conditions, and some ancient event that might have shaped the world. It’s all linked to binding and controlling people. Thematically, it might even tie into taming magic as all of ivys monsters chose to be tamed by her rather than having a spell/violence bind them. though if I dive even deeper, there is actually a very recurring element of freedom through binding…which does technically align with debt slavery since they’re working for their freedom but I feel I’m missing something. Better go re-read the first dozen volumes
 
Group Leader
Joined
Jul 20, 2025
Messages
53
i just want to address the feedbacks that this chapter looked jumbled.
  1. the page 1-5 thats the scene where they finally announced the capture of all the traitors. and a little side joke about ivy finding captain baxby cool and that she wanted to grow up like him.
  2. Page 6: the scene jumped to the morning after a night drunken celebration party
  3. the slave subject. Sifar and rattloore knew that ivy is a girl and that she's pretty. and ivy is growing up. so they wanted to ensure ivy's safety thats why they recommended her to get a slave that would look like her "dad". and a slave will be contract bound so that slave would not be able to do something about ivy's secret of being starless.
  4. then from that, ivy got uncomfortable thats why she went straight to her tent then to the dump then to the forest
  5. page 17 its a scene its ivy thinking about the scene of them talking about the aftermath of the organization/traitors

the manga did skipped several scenes, also showing some preview of some stuff, and some scene seemed rushed.

you can check the book 2 starting from the chapter 104: the incredible captain
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top