Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu

Fed-Kun's army
I don't understand why the old wrinkled chode cares that Satoru and Yae are going out? Who gives a fuck?

Double-page supporter
The eyes of that dude are so sharp. It gives me thrills. Hope Satoru can at least get a down.

Aggregator gang
@Aelth: I can answer that, but you still won't like it (If it makes you feel better, none of us do either). The reason is simple, but shallow: Idol imagery. When a woman is portrayed as single and famous, she is more desirable and "attainable" by her fans. The higher her reputation, the higher the reputation of the city (remember that the old chode is the mayor and Saotome is the town's biggest celebrity). If it's revealed she is dating, she is considered immoral because she is in high school and rumors would make her seem like a loose woman. This would hurt both Saotome's reputation as well as the city's.

In a nutshell, she is controlling Saotome's popularity to the last detail so her town can be a bigger hot spot, her happiness and personal life be damned.

Dex-chan lover
So, is the principal / mayor off the arc by this point...? Haven't read in over 2 months because of that nasty shit.

@TwilightFaze
I'll chime in, but in a different direction. What you say makes sense, but not quite in context of how the story worked itself out.
In short, the only thing that seemed to be important to the mayor / principle, ever, was their own personal gain. Forget the MC's happiness, it doesn't even seem like she is trying to make use of "idol culture" to her benefit. She's literally being played as the town's money-cow, not as an aspiring-athlete that also makes use of the nasty idol-culture.

In less short; From the start of the story, she never gave her own personal opinion about being the figurative slave of those two people. The mayor's and principle's inclusion in the story is nothing but foolish and unnecessary; in particular because the author has almost nothing to say about idol-culture. Those two characters are just there to be an obstacle to overcome for the romance tropes, they're literally just there to be annoying for everyone, and the MC just seemed to naturally roll with it, for no particular reason what so ever.
If only the MC herself would express that "it is important for me to maintain my public image, to some degree, to raise my chances to represent Japan in the Olympics".....Then there wouldn't be a problem to bitch about. We'd be able to see how everyone's goals and motives coincide together, and why they're okay with that kind of interaction and treatment. The only reason "because idol culture" is an annoying, unacceptable answer right now -- is because the story *never* made it apparent what the MC has to gain from being objectified to such a literal level.
P.S: And yes, we can all post-facto start to create and add arguments as to why they make sense. But judging how the story is built, made, and progressed -- the mayor and principle are literally just there to be annoying / be the obstacle that the. That is their role. To put a wall around the romance, and make the main-couple fight for their love. That cliche is understandable, but not the way it was written.

Aggregator gang
@JGFishe: Yeah, but he doesn't let that get him down and keeps trying anyway. That's more than most MCs do. Other MCs would mope and quit or almost-quit until they get the sappy sentimental speech to keep trying. He doesn't need all that. He just, "Oh well, I lost. Just gotta try harder next time. <smile>"

Aggregator gang
@Solipsist: Ok, good point. "Idol culture" was perhaps not the right terminology to use, but the point was to keep her "pure and desirable" for her fans. I just remember that being a huge selling point for idols which is why I went there. The old hag wants to make her look like boxing is Saotome's life and the star of the town because of it. It's irrational and greedy, but you covered that description pretty well. Bottom line is, and I agree with the bottom line sentiment you wrote, is that they are doing it for themselves and their greed and not considering Saotome's happiness whatsoever. She need a kick in the dried-up twat just as much as the principal needs a kick in the saggy twins.

Dex-chan lover
@TwilightFaze
Don't forget that Saotome needs a kick in the twat too, for not doing anything in her situation. She has the reins in her hands, but she remains passive.
She can go: "I have a boyfriend, and there's nothing you can do about it." -- and they'd have to either suck it up, or reveal what sort of cards they have in their hands in order to manipulate her. If the latter is true, then at least the audience will be able to understand why the frack we have to put up with these two characters; because she actually needs them for something, rather than just be used.

Double-page supporter
Welp... Satoru kissed the ground. Damn, feels bad man. Why my boy Satoru can't win? Are we here just to see him suffer?
Step up, kiddo. I'm feeling like I just read the exact contrary of Hajme no Ippo. Ippo had real talent and a body blessed to fight, but he needed to train a lot to learn boxing. While Satoru learned boxing early, he doesn't have a strong body or is talented.
Such great difference from both boxing mangas.

Power Uploader
Terrible news guys: https://twitter.com/MangaMogura/status/1170225881081663488

Well this is depressing. Can't believe it's ending with Satoru's record being all losses.
Then again, he'll definitely get his happy end with Saotome and tall buff short hair gf is a W so massive that it overshadows all the Ls.

Double-page supporter
Depending on the ending this series could easily be top 10 romance manga, excited to see how it finishes.

Users who are viewing this thread