Sayonara Mangadex, putting down our rose colored glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
>They're following a model called: Embrace, extend, and extinguish. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish) Essentially they're using us for their own benefit and once they reach their goal they’ll throw all readers under the bus.

Of course, imagine all the horrible events that could happen if MD went full MS. You might have to drag and drop your .zip file onto a different image hosting website instead, that'd be fucking awful. EEE relies on people having to design around restrictions, I'd love to hear an explanation of how that could possibly apply in scanlation.

EDIT: If you just admit it's about money I'll respect you all a lot more. It's not a coincidence that most of those groups take donations, reading their releases on aggregates takes you further away from that sweet, sweet Patreon link and they're not a fan of that.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

Enjoy.

EDIT 2: It's even worse than I expected.

2WINrHe.jpg

And the winner is ad smeared spam loaded aggregator sama.
Nothing of value to me has gone. At least for now.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Holo is right in that we have absolutely nothing to hide. The combination of our dream to go legit combined with cherry-picked discord screenshots (conveniently edited to achieve maximum outrage) is just another attempt by our detractors to keep us down. On the heights, all paths are paved with daggers.

We're sorry to see everyone go. The only thing this really hurts are the readers.

Group Leader
Does the list of manga uploaded by a group change if they remove their uploads?

And in that case, to those who signed it would be nice if you left the group page (only delete the chapters) if possible

@Holo did you consider making a system that only redirects the user towards the group's chapter directly? (not talking about the link to the group's website if the chapter is not available yet)

Of course that would cause problems with speed, sometimes bad implemented readers and all

Oh come on! I just moved my library to MD :(

anyway I'm 100% with the scanlators and we will follow you wherever you guys go. good luck.

I personally havent respected JB's opinions on the scanlation community since they sniped the end of other teams series for no reason and continue to hold on to series that are offered for free legally undermining the legit industry but every group has a right to choose whether to upload or not. That's what makes this site different from aggregators that just rip from whatever they can find. I do think going legit will screw over the users so I am in agreement with them on that point but if it came down to it I still respect Holo's opinion more than anyone's at JB.

Dex-chan lover
Now, this is truly bothersome, now I'm going to most likely need to transfer all 528 manga I'm currently reading to another site. That's going to be cancerous

Dex-chan lover
JB and Champion Scans had a 2 week upload delay to Mangadex. By that time, every aggregator site copied their release, and the people that followers of the series scanned by them either read it their website, or on the aggregators. And the others has either rarely release something, or it's some Chinese trash that's a who gives a fuck. So it's kinda pointless from them to pull out totally, and with this, they will support the aggregators more, than they do themselves. Hatigram is a loss since they had a good releasing pace, but other than that, meh. As long as the groups that scans the most read mangas on the site won't pull out, you achieve nothing, but managed to make a publicity stunt to redirect people to your own sites and discord.

Also OP, taking sentences out of context and cropping them onto one is a bitch move, just as the fact that you hide behind an Anonymus nick.

Group Leader
All this will do is drive more people to aggregator sites. Nobody is going to look at your sites because nobody wants to check 20 different manga sites every day. Even if you don't like Mangadex, they at least credit you for your work and don't try to make money off of it with intrusive ads.

is a Reindeer
VIP
MangaDex only exists because scanlators are willing to upload and readers are willing to donate. We obviously aren't interested in throwing either under the bus because active scanlators can freely remove their works from the site and we aren't shoving ads in our reader's faces. There's no question that MangaDex is growing larger than Batoto ever had. Large pirate sites ran by communities have a tendency to face a decision to legalize or die to litigation. If MangaDex was to ever legalize, it would have to be at the benefit of a majority of the scanlators involved. Otherwise the site loses its identity and is as good as dead anyways.

Not to mention, I wouldn't be supporting a website whose goal was to kill off scanlation as a scanlator myself.

Group Leader
I'll be honest, I don't see an issue with this. Crunchyroll did the same thing, they used to be a user supported aggregate for fansubs, then went legit and now we have a bunch of great content that can be accessed for free (with ads), and with expedience from working with the actual companies and supporting the industry.

This is basically just a manga-version of crunchyroll. And that's only IF the opportunity presents itself. it's not like they're gonna claim all work on the site as theirs and say fuck you scanlators it's *our* content now. Even crunchyroll dumped their entire user-uploaded catalogue to get only legit releases on there when they went legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread