Sayonara Mangadex, putting down our rose colored glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the substance of this post isn't in the actual complaint, which is full of speculation and just uses Fakku as a sort of bugaboo (not to mention the histrionic reference to EEE), but the fact that MD as a platform has rapidly become powerful enough to be used as a cudgel against non-compliant groups. I mean, even if Holo states the screenshotted messages are out of context, it remains inappropriate to redirect fan anger toward scanlation groups. It's strange to see MD staff, particularly the administrator, publicly scoff at scanlator decisions when the platform is predicated on respecting their wishes.

This thread is proof enough of how powerful MD has become as a platform. Scanlators receive absurd amounts of vitriol and hate for choosing to not use MD. When scanlators attack or accuse MD, of course MD staff should defend themselves and the platform, especially as a way of reassuring other scanlators. But I also think much of this scanlator drama exists in the public as a sort of back-and-forth, it tends to be treated as if all parties are equal. This almost inevitably results in dissenting scanlators receiving a barrage of hate, as they aren't part of platforms that can absorb the reverb. Hence:

Thank you to the few who have supported our teams with positive words and encouragement, and thank you to the many that have helped us remove these rose colored glasses we've been forced to wear by showering us with hate.

Again, just reading through this thread evinces that MD has a powerful - and, IMO, well-deserved - hold on all of us, both due to its convenience and due to genuine belief in the project.

Scanlators are not powerful individuals or groups. The major takeaway of the post, I think, isn't "MD isn't a neutral platform because it plans to silo our content and Fakku us all into poverty," but that it isn't a neutral platform in how it respects scanlators. That MD respects scanlators more than [x] aggregate site isn't always a strong defense...and it can even become a form of strong disrespect, the kind that K***manga couldn't even dream of accomplishing for the simple reason that no one trusted them in the first place. That's exactly the way Holo's screenshot rubs me.

I think this is a wonderful place, and that this exodus is an overreaction. But I sympathize with the view that MD speaks softly while carrying a big stick. It's only been a short while, but MD is already a juggernaut...and I think the "hold" it has on all of us very easily becomes a stranglehold when staff are incautious in their conduct.

@theobane scanlation teams don't need their own websites to function. Discord is a wonderful thing that is free and can be used to release their works. Aggregators can always come and take from their discord if they want, but a website that they need to pay for is not needed.

@Cae
MD IS gunning for money. That's literally the reason anyone tries to go legit in the west. Are you seriously telling me Crunchyroll and FAKKU did it out of kindness in their heart when they were illegal stream/hentai sites? You have to be insane to think paying customers is going to make less money than donations they're currently getting.
@Parnifia
You're right, MD got popular because they put scanlator's wishes as top priority, all while being ad-free. Yet right now they're going to ditch scanlators, and their current attitude towards them is downright disrespectful. Posting patreons as if there's something wrong with that while mocking them; I'm sure that's the reason why MD was made.

Power Uploader
@Fuko

Meanwhile at band camp, (the new) bato.com, mangarock kissmanga and others post without regards to the Scanlator preferences or rules. And we all know they are in it for profit OVER THERE.

So in the end it doesn’t really matter...

@Boont

Maybe not but the fact they ARE in it for the money or so the patron links seem to portray makes it look no different from MD desire to go legit “one day”.

Power Uploader
Thank God I don't follow anything these groups do, and Meraki dropped Senryu Shoujo a long time ago.

@Zephyrus

We don't disclose donations because CloudFlare has threatened to kick us to the curb due to publisher DMCAs. I'd like to note that publishers C&D'd Meraki some time back and they make more than us in monthly donations through Patreon alone.

This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe if we are able to transition fully to the Path.net services, we can be more transparent about our donations without having to worry about losing DDoS protection.

And Meraki spent every dime of that into TLs and then some. And isn't it oh so convenient. Previously it was Plyk saying you wouldn't make it public because people would donate less if they thought you "had enough money". Now it's because of DMCA's.

I dunno what to tell the people who think we secretly profit off of readers. You either believe or us don't since we're unable to provide data at this time. But if you ask me, I'd rather trust the site that has put its money where its mouth is (lol) and not put up ads in a naked scheme to profit off of scanlations.

unknown.png

Only reason you don't have ads is you know the community would be in a tizzy.

Which is why you're even pointing them out in the first place. To appeal to this communities "You shouldn't make money off scanlation!" attitude.

I, frankly, don't see why they should trust either side then if they really have a problem with it.

MD@Home
Some people here fail to realize, just how much traffic some of those groups generate (as in, their content). For instance, Raid, Solo Leveling and such.

Those groups make probably 30-40% of the traffic on MD.

How about you guys fix the issues between yourselves? Pointing fingers and leaving aint cool (and playing innocent).

I like most of the content from the groups, i follow them on Discord, and i like MD as well.

@GodricKharg
Having a patreon doesn't mean you're in it for the money. They have their own sites (costs $), and they work on translation, cleaning, and editing manga that you read every week on this site (costs time). You understand MD also has a donation link, right? Just because they're ad free doesn't mean they're not making any money.

@parnifa
Some of those groups do get legit license but the issue with that is that they do them so cheap that it's practically worthless getting them for money, it's actually more for the rights to publish in that language then the money itself. That's generally how it works for a lot of the smaller series that are slowly growing. It's up to people if they want to support a group through patreon or not, in the end the only difference is that patreon takes the amount out monthly if you wish. It's just another platform similar to PayPal that people can support their favourite series or group.

@grace
While of course groups can just use discord and agreevate from their, if they have their own website they can host the series they worked on easily instead of putting them onto the a website like MD.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@TheOneWhoSighs
What are you talking about? We have not spent money on paying for TLs at all. If you have proof instead of baseless accusations, please provide it.

As far as ads go, I have no idea what you're talking about. The only ads that we have are our annual April Fools ads. Once again, if you have proof, please show it.

Also, @Robo is a former staff member who was removed because he was found to be leaking staff chat and spreading falsehoods. If you're going to use him as your source of information, I'd suggest you get proof from him before parroting his words.

And no, you absolutely shouldn't profit off of scanlations. That's never been a secret attitude of ours. It's been there from day one.

MD@Home
Imagine if Mdex goes legit and then you have to pay to read someone's hard work.

Jesus fucking christ what a nightmare.

And also Fakku and CR going to legit totally stopped piracy scenes.

@Zephyrus

What are you talking about? We have not spent money on paying for TLs at all. If you have proof instead of baseless accusations, please provide it.

I was talking about Meraki spending money on TLs for that. Sorry it was confusing, changed what was inside the quote at one point and forgot to change the wording.

Also, @Robo is a former staff member who was removed because he was found to be leaking staff chat and spreading falsehoods.

Mhmmm.

Group Leader
Fun fact: Running a website like Mangadex is hard and the admins deserve to get compensated just as much as the scanlators do.

Dex-chan lover
@ku4eto That is straight bullshit. 40%? While JB has many popular series, with their 2 week delay, it rarely matters for MD, because by the time it gets released here, readers either read on their website, or on aggregators. Right now Solo leveling is an exception, but Kaguya, Bokuben and the other big names doesn't generate nearly as much traffic for MD as they would without the delay. Same goes for Champion Scans as well. Hatigram has 1 bigger name, Girl from Random Chatting, and the Meraki - Ninja pair scans Chinese webtoons, which wasn't the most popular things to begin with. The likes of Silent Sky and Shoujo Hearts rarely release anything, and even if they do they have laughable numbers. (Shoujo Hearts series's barely reaches a 1000). If the groups that scans Go-toubon, Komi-san, Gokoshfudo, and the likes of LHT would leave, now that would be a big hit for MD. This drama will barely hurt them tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread