Sayounara Ryuusei, Konnichiwa Jinsei - Ch. 34 - The Youth Will Decide

at this point school arcs are just an admission of lack of creativity by an author. it was nice knowing you dragonman.

Dex-chan lover
@cloud2438 I mean, you still expect more from isekai and tensei light novels? I'm here to see how authors use all the same tools in comparison to each other, not to see them reinvent the wheel.

@Glomoro i expect something that keeps me interested. i don't want to read 50 chapters of mob characters going "wow, so amazing" like an autistic kid. you have a world with monsters and magic, you literally can make them go in any cool place you want, make any random thing that comes to mind happen, and yet you choose to make the guy go to school? really? i expect some kind of creativity in any story i read. this author is just following a template like a robot.

Dex-chan lover
@cloud2438 Again, I don't know why you're expecting that here, specifically. It's a well known fact that the web novels and light novels from Japan are like this. The manga based on those can only really follow suit. The Japanese consumers are eating this shit up day in and day out. They love it. That's the target demographic, so, them's the breaks. I'm not saying your complaint is invalid, per se, but it is kind of pointless as well. Beating a dead horse just as much as all these authors are with there extremely repetitive trope usage. We all already know this is what these stories are gonna be like way more often than not.

@Glomoro as i said earlier, i expect it on any story i read, since i did read and still am reading web novels that don't have a school arc and somehow still feel interesting and original (dead mage, arifureta, so i am a spider), so i don't really see your point. you say it's "standard", doesn't mean people can't expect more, which is clearly doable.

Dex-chan lover
@cloud2438 Reusing everything is what I said is normal, a school arc is just one example of that in practice. Arifureta and So I'm a Spider, So What? are a prime example of another thing that's reused all the time. Eating stuff gives you skills from the things you ate. Re:Monster, Slime Tensei, Bofuri, the list goes on. There's a ton of them. It's a reused tool, just like the school arc will be here. The fact that they're still interesting to you can be attributed to other things the other did. The same would be true here. You must already not be terribly attached to this series if a school arc can bother you this much.

@Glomoro can you really predict what happens next over the "eat-and-gain-powers" trope? the answer is no. it's a tool that allows an author to show his/her creativity, what they find interesting, what they find cool. there is for sure a list of things authors can use and reuse, there is a difference in their creative potential. let's take the "suddenly go to school as an OP mc" trope. what can really happen with this "tool"?
1. mc doesn't learn jack shit
2. all the mob classmates go "omg, this guy is so incredible, where did he come from?"
3. random lady classmate gets her ladyparts wet from how strong mc is
4. there's a tournament among the mob classmates and the mc (omg, who is going to be the winner i wonder?)
that's really all you can get from that. again, the fantasy genre in general has a bunch of things that are reusable, but some things let authors show their creativity, while others are just there for the mood or whatever. the school thing is one of those things that just shows lack of creativity and laziness.

Dex-chan lover
@cloud2438 That's certainly a pretty stock standard school arc you described. But that doesn't mean there's zero variations even within two authors doing basically what you said. There's also the rare chance something actually different will happen for once. Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor goes right off into the magic academy stuff from the word go. But, the MC is the teacher there. Same basic tools for the setting, basically all the same character archetypes involved with it, but one change in where exactly the focus of one of those roles belonged makes it a somewhat novel experience compared to many other magic academy settings.

@Glomoro taking in consideration that i dropped akashic records after the terrorist attack (it was volume 1 i think? not sure, it was a good while ago), is it really that different? student takes notice of the oh-so-amazing teacher, goes "wow", gets her ladyparts wet as he teaches her how-to-magic. not that different. i wouldn't be surprised if one of that guys favorite students went to a tournament as well. then again, i'm not going to deny that it's possible to make an interesting school arc, all i'll say is that i've been reading manga/ln/wn for a long time, and not once have i seen a proper school arc get original/interesting.

edit: also, for the record, i didn't drop that series over the school arc thing, it was tolerable, i just thought the plot was getting too serious for its own good. not exactly what i was looking for in a comedy.

Dex-chan lover
Nani? Dragon who's lived thousands of years, attending school to learn the multiplication table.

Of course there would be a school arc , he will for sure run into some bullies just so he can kick their ass xd

Dex-chan lover
Gouda nice guy, can't tell me otherwise.

@Elizviel

Couldn't agree more even if I wanted too.
Snek Supremacy.

Users who are viewing this thread