Sekai de Tada Hitori no Mamonotsukai ~Tenshoku shitara Maou ni Machigawaremashita~ - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - Hidden Elven Village

Dex-chan lover
he will defeat the dragon and it will turn into a cute girl because all dragons are actually cute girls

Double-page supporter
@toastedguy Veldora from That Time I Reincarnated as a Slime isn't a cute girl when he turns into his human form. Not that it's important, but they can be men too, just not often.

Something just sits wrong with me when it’s supposed to be a hidden village populated by in-universe slave-bait so that the elves try to avoid human society, yet they have a lot of gold coins that are specifically a fortune in human society.

Not to mention that kill-on-sight attitude turning into begging for salvation. I wonder how many other innocent travelers who had no plans to capture and enslave them were killed. Actually, maybe that’s where all their gold came from?

Dex-chan lover
@The_DCG but we aren't in disagreement? I am not saying that the dragon should transform, and all the others have filled some personality archetype. Goblin-noble, Minotaur-brute, wolf-goodboy™, ogre-timid one, and it is unlikely that this pattern will stop. It's not a question of if the dragon will become civilized, but in what way.

After all, having an ancient dragon at your command is a good way to get confused for a demon Lord.

Dex-chan lover
@Arythazin That is exactly where the gold would come from. Slave traders and other folk would have a lot of gold after all. Its unfortunate that they resort to killing everyone they meet, but its much more viable an option than trying to live in the open as slave bait. The switch might be a bit abrupt but have you ever met someone truly desperate? The moment they think you can solve the problem they go from murder to trying to suck yo dick. Her situation seemed hopeless after all and her decisions are not just about her life but the lives of those behind her. A good person doing bad things will stop the moment they get the opportunity to stop.

@firosahoge Well we do get those stories from time to time. I think its more that there is a level of depth or intricacy required to pull off a cliche without it feeling like the same old story with a new skin. Of course there are a lot of bandwagoners who just complain because they are under the impression that cliche's are bad. People are pretty odd after all. They don't understand that a world is made up of intertwined cliches and that thats why they are cliche. They are often fundamentals or simply fun. This story is pretty vanilla and bland so far but its only chapter 4. Still plenty of time to go into something real interesting without ramping the edge to 9 and having the loli maid and elves raped by the heroes who killed all his pets on the way to the dragon. I mean you could make an interesting story out of that sure, but its not required and i would even say its a little bit of a cliche thats only not used due to how it changes the tone.

There is something to be said for not beating an enemy or not making it in time to save people. Very good elements if done carefully. They do pose a challenge to the stories thematic and tone though.

I don't read the stories where the MC is stuck at level 1 because to me thats a nightmare and defeats the whole purpose of going to a video game world. The progression element is very important and without the potential to power up you just end up with the same kind of story you get without levels, but with everyone else becoming more awesome. Imagine playing a game or living life having while having to watch everyone else grow and improve constantly while your stuck as you are, forever. Its like going to a fantasy world and not being able to do any of the fantasy things. No magic, no wonder, just you with a sword or gun murdering things in dirty messy ways to stay alive. Not my cup of tea to be sure and a completely different story to one like this.

My point is that there is a balance between all the cliches and subversion that needs to be carefully maintained while thinking about the world, characters and above whether its cliche or not, whether its fun or enjoyable or interesting. Sure an MC building to some special power the whole story but losing it right at the moment of climax before they even get to use it or we get to see it is subversive and not cliche, but its also really disappointing and not fun for anyone. Winning every fight is better than losing every fight simply because winning is atleast a power fantasy and therefore a little more fun to people. However if your setting does not require the MC and friends to win every fight its obviously more interesting for them to struggle and lose from time to time. A loss can also not just be about the immediate battle but the behind the scenes events. Returning to find your friends dead is just one of those indirect losses.

At any rate i may be rambling a bit now. Its probably just ignorance/nonsense like the guy from another comment section i spoke to who thought a character was too many minorities. Like you could somehow be too many things and therefore a bad character by the virtue of that. A Mary Sue is often many things but thats not why they are bad, and even a Mary Sue can be a great character if handled as more than mental masturbation by the author.

Double-page supporter
And a far more interesting set of characters shows up, one of which is a hot meganekko mage lady, but she's a side character we likely won't see much of after this arc lol

XL

Double-page supporter
Argh cliffhanger-chan strikes again! Curses!!

Dex-chan lover
@Merilirem I skimmed what you said but I think I got the gist of it. There aren't that many authors that can pull off non-cliche well, possibly because the manga format doesn't allow for that much text in the first place. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I've seen a few good mangas that can somewhat pull it off, but even those rely on a few cliches. If an author does not rely on cliches, he will have to make sure his readers are invested enough to appreciate the work or it might get axed since cliches offer shallow entertainment quickly before readers lose patience. But if an author does rely on cliches, yes, there are ways to do it artistically without feeling cheap. In any case, I'm rambling too.
Cliches are there because they make money and don't get axed. I say people should just keep looking for that hidden gem instead of complaining on every single one of these stories because most manga, by the nature of the industry, will rely on cliches.

Aggregator gang
Love how the minotaur and the goblin are basically Legolas and Gimli now.

POnders if there's any corrections on leveling tamed monsters or race evolutions..

it is strange to me , how the behaviour of the beasts changes completely once tamed. I mean a beast can be tamed and show anger towards its master. In this case they became friends with the MC ...

Users who are viewing this thread