Sen no Sukiru o Motsu Otoko - Ch. 64

Dex-chan lover
That's quite the claim, saying it's got better maneuverability and durability than any other ship, especially since those two traits generally work against each other than with.

She looks sufficiently conked out.

Bruh, it might be a bit more important to keep the boat from sinking by scooping out the water, but sure, take your random shower.
Should just light a fire under the boat and you have a bath. He's got weird and OP magic; he can figure out how.

Dex-chan lover
There’s something I found very off putting about that saintess being some genuinely happy for her friend when we know she’s a bad person, and that feeling didn’t get any better when she threatened to have her friend raped to get info out of her. Yeah it was a bluff but I really can’t pin down this girls mental state

Dex-chan lover
There’s something I found very off putting about that saintess
I really can’t pin down this girls mental state

That's one reason I don't like this series, it doesn't ever consider how someone got where they are.

Context:
I'm willing to gloss over shallow characters as long as it's entertaining.
But I despise works that have characters who [spontaneously kill people], then suddenly cast them [as president] to drive plot.
How did it happen? How is it even possible? You can't "magic away" pre-story and post-story to justify a plot event setup.

Assumption:
"Saintess" is a clinical sociopath (i.e. extreme bouts of emotion), as opposed to psychopath (i.e. disassociative).

Author is trying to paint a bout of her 'evil rampage' -- where she's happy for her minion -- as humanizing her.
Trying to illustrate that "she's a normal person deep inside, and you should sympathize".

But that's not how it works.

• Her thought process is fundamentally broken. And no empathy (matched feeling) by the reader is even possible.
    It's like trying to compare "normal" (base 10) addition to "hex-ed" (base 16, pun on cursed) addition. She's a monster.
    Author has already shown her math "doesn't line up" with normal people. Explicitly gave backstory how it's not "normal".

• Her past actions are heinously criminal, within framework of that world's (and our world)'s laws.
    She already sent someone she blackmailed to be ____'ed already. And if MC hadn't saved the victim -- would have.
    (And that's only what we've seen, on-screen. Not any of off-screen. Like murder of entire families. And slavery of MC.)
Author really needs to pick his battles on this one.

It's possible to sympathize with good villains (e.g. original 4,5,6-only Darth Vader) because they are fundamentally normal.
They share the same thought processes as audience does.
And became what they are because of "dramatic development" (in Greek drama sense).

However these completely warped monsters are impossible to sympathize, forgive, or even associate with.
Only in rare instances in voluminmous works (and over multiple narratives) can you even begin to unravel a monster.
And very, very few authors can manage to pull off that sort of character depth. (i.e. Hannibal Lecter/Silence of the Lambs)

...and I'm pretty sure Author-kun here didn't spend months interviewing FBI criminal psychologists prior to writing the Saintess.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Well, at least this chapter shows some progress.

I still have mixed feelings about that maid person. Like, there's a story there but the author only barely touched it.

Oh well.

Dex-chan lover
There’s something I found very off putting about that saintess being some genuinely happy for her friend when we know she’s a bad person, and that feeling didn’t get any better when she threatened to have her friend raped to get info out of her. Yeah it was a bluff but I really can’t pin down this girls mental state
It's the most jarring thing because everything it's a complete direction change of her character. She went from this scheming antagonist who wants to own a person to someone who's happy for her friend to someone who's willing to torture that friend (and explains in graphic detail). Like wtf are we supposed to think about this character?

Edit: so I decided to reread this series from the beginning and the whole kidnapping memory loss arc started at chapter 47. This whole arc has now gone on for nearly 20 chapters. Jesus I didn't think it had dragged on nearly as much as it has

Last edited:
Group Leader
That's why the maid refused to talk, she can't be threatened with a good time, especially now that she needs to test out her new body.

Dex-chan lover
God Author-Kun's wild ride never ends!

Thanks genderbenderbb2 for the translation, although at this point I feel bad that your having to translate this manga instead of better ones.

Users who are viewing this thread