Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga - Vol. 2 Ch. 10 - Entertainment

Group Leader
weren't muskets available and easier to make than crossbows during this time period? i think it was something like muskets only needed low quality steel in sengoku era japan or something

Dex-chan lover
'How did he know about the bow? Well, how dense can you be? Someone of no background is assigned an important position gets assigned a personal assistant by the chief, what exactly do you think would be part of his/her tasks?...

Also, why are they so surprised by the crossbow, it's not like it was unknown at that point in time, being in use long in China by then. If they were surprised by its form compared to more primitive versions it might make more sense, but given the reaction here, they, high military commanders and like, seem totally unfamiliar with the whole concept?...

Probably the error is on author's part? crossbow is not rare even in japan at this point of time..
its just that its not as popular compared to the traditional bow as its heavier and require more maintenance
The soldiers simply prefers the bow as it is light and can be carried easily on horsebacks

Though I can see the crossbow as a more efficient weapon, can be easily handled with less effort and training compared to the bow
Probably in this time and place the crossbow can be a "cheaper alternative" to the musket

Dex-chan lover
Crossbows at this point were probably a bit too hard to mass produce, though 30 should be doable. An elite squad with those
can really do some damage. And bows require serious training to use effectively, not to mention decent strength as seen here.

Nobunaga’s faces continue to be a high point.

Also, anyone feel like we’re going through an alternate history route? Maybe he really will unite Japan (he was pretty close if I recall).

Dex-chan lover
So in the end, the poor girl couldn't avoid standing in the battlefield huh?
Thank for the chapter

Did you guys forget that Japan is an island nation? Just because it's popular in China doesn't mean that majority of the Japanese military commander would know of it and it's tactics

Yeah, records of crossbow use in Japan are extremely spotty. As if they've never been used at all. The land skipped straight to black powder weapons. The closest mention is the Ishi-Yumi (Stonebow) of Okinawa, but the documentation for that goes back to the 19th century, a bit too late for this tale.

Dex-chan lover
TIL I'm a giant (169) in feudal Japan. No wonder that black guy Yasuke was such a curiosity in Oda court.

@Yadokari
B. You don't need accuracy in large battles.
C. Crossbows need bolts, which are harder to make than shots and the powder that fuels them.
E. Unless they blow their shoulders, it's not an issue.
F. Musketballs could pierce wood and still kill the soldier standing behind it. Part of the reason muskets still saw use even against crossbows was because the strategy of crossbowmen placing a shield in front of them didn't mean anything against a musket volley.
G. Siege crossbows aren't much quicker and require a lot of force to load.

Dex-chan lover
Everytime Yado-inn translate another Komachi I cream in my pants 😁

@kypmbangi crossbows never took off in japan it was always bows due to the cheaper costs and efficiency while crossbows did have a few appearances in japan they never took off due to cost efficiency.

I wonder how the ending is like, she basically changed the history already. Parallel world maybe?

Contributor
@fahmikan
Considering the setting is in the 16th century, China's crossbow was popular since the Qin dynasty, that's close to 2000 years. There's only so long you can justify not hearing about it to living under a rock.
Don't forget, Japan had wholesale copied the Chinese language and culture in the Tang dynasty, it would be odd that no one bothered to read the dozens upon dozens of strategy books that mentioned the crossbow such that they would not even be privy to the word and had to use the katakana equivalent.
A cursory search has already shown that the crossbow been used in japan since the cultural exchange of the tang dynasty in the 9th century.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%BC%A9

Dex-chan lover
Perhaps even more than the crossbow issue, what sticks out is Nobunaga's insistence of getting his hands on the Art of War, by Sun Tzu. The thing is, those teachings WERE known in Japan at that time, studied by Japanese commanders, and the daimyo Takeda Shingen, contemporary with Nobunaga, for example, could almost be considered a scholar on the subject...
There are also several sources that state Nobunaga actually did study those teachings, along with Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu.

Users who are viewing this thread