Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga - Vol. 2 Ch. 9 - Reward

Dex-chan lover
In 1566 ALL major armies in Japan were already equipped with Tanegashima firelocks and two warlords were the most prominent in adopting them: Uesugi Kenshin and Oda Nobunaga. Crosssbows were already present on the Japanese mainland starting from the Wa era (roughly the time of the Three Kingdoms to the fall of the Jin Dynasty) but went out of use with the adoption of samurai style of warfare in the early Yamato period.

War crossbows were HARDER to make than firearms in the era when both coexisted; that's the main reason everyone moved to firearms. The problem was that the bow must be made with either composite materials (horn, sinew, bamboo), or SPRING STEEL, which was a very expensive imported commodity in Japan. Tanegashima firelocks could be made with fairly low-quality folded steel sourced locally, like cheap katana blades. In the late 16th century it took a workshop between 15 to 30 days to produce one firelock from scratch. The composite bow for a crossbow needed up to 3 months to cure and the spring steel would have been too expensive to use in their production.

We have this anachronistic idea that crossbows are easy to make because they are indeed faster and cheaper to assemble in the modern world. Nowadays if we need a spring steel bow, we just go to a metal shop, pick from a catalog, and have it cut to order. You can even order cheap composite bows online from China or Vietnam and find them on your doorstep the next week. Obviously neither option was available to 16th century Japanese.

God I love this manga and the team scanalating it.
It's easily become my new favorite.

@AgentKuga

NEOBK-2220445.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Nobunaga is totally going to try to marry her to his son, isn't he?

Also, I hope that she's able to make a small handgun type weapon to carry on her as self-defense just in case...

Dex-chan lover
@AgentKuga

Yes

She will have her own retainers and have official position as a land lord. Hasn't read far enough to know if she owns a castle, but probably not.

Well, I read the webnovel. So some details may be different.

Dex-chan lover
I like that she acknowledges that still could things go wrong even with everything she does; that's been something I've complained about plenty times before. But then of course at the same she just happens to have oyster shells present when needed; it's totally something some random backwater village would have ^^

Also totally expected this "win without fighting" stuff to come up with Ieyasu. It's THE cliché thing about him after all (despite doing plenty of warring).

Dex-chan lover
@Varler Small hand-gun at this time period is really expensive. They don't even have the technology to produce one.

Oda: Why didn't you inform of this weapon to me that I could use for war?
Shizuko: Ah, that's just for hunting. I'll make a revolver for you if want.😂

Aggregator gang
Aya is a double agent spy? She's also working for Uesugi Kenshin right?

@miyako19

Not impossible. Willem of Orange was assassinated using a Wheelock Pistol in 1584, just 2 year after Nobunaga's death. The Japanese themselves created flintock tinder lighters in 17th-18th century. With a bit of inspiration from the future, I can see a skilled artisan should be able to craft one one or two century earlier. Certainly the Japanese don't have problem copying the matchlock arquebus, why would wheel or flintlock be a problem. Expensive? Yes, but that's nothing for a Daimyo like Nobunaga.

Was Japan really totally unaware of the crossbow in this time period? China had been making extensive use of them for centuries at this point.

Dex-chan lover
@miyako19 As long as you have access to gunpowder/black powder, it's not that hard to make a short distance improvised gun/zip gun. You just need a metal tube, a projectile, the explosives, and a way to light it.

Sure, it won't be some fancy six-shooter, but it'll get the job done if all you need is one shot at a close distance.

@pburgund oh they're aware of Crossbows. The Japanese Imperial Army of Nara period (before the rise of Bushi/Samurai clans and their Feudalistic armies in the Heian period) was modelled after Imperial Tang Army, and used Crossbows.

Dex-chan lover
Nobutada?
I could swear, even more when Shizuku started talking about Sun Tzu, that he would be Ieyasu.

And now Crossbows... sigh...

EDIT: I like that,despite giving so much pain and anguish for all story nerds, the comment section for this manga became THE place of reunion for all story nerds to feel pain and anguish together.

Dex-chan lover
This comment section is half the reason this manga is so enjoyable, i can't say anything about the veracity of all that is said here but you clearly make your research and at least to know a little more about trivia and real knowledge is really fun.

sssr talk about the process to make crossbows as an example is really interesting.

Aggregator gang
@Varler the issue isnt the size but matter of operation ... they thing you propose is literally a miniature cannon but how will she fire it...
match lock? well she cant have a lit rope on her at all times, flint lock? thats way too complicated, you would need a match and touch hole but that would send bits of burning carbon out of that hole and where would she get a match to make that work .unlike most fantasies set in a more primitive time they dont have nearly the skill to do that just yet... im pretty sure she could make a small single shot match lock pistol for her own use but that would be a offensive too and not for self defense personally id recommend a Metsubushi Egg or some kind of pepper spray/powder
both of which would not be hard for her to make or use
but sand also works
because when in doubt
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread