Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi - Ch. 209

Dex-chan lover
In the recent chapters with Natsumi and Yuuto, he thought that Natsumi might view Futaba as something more than a friend.

It's a concept that the author introduced in the manga.

Dex-chan lover
Natsumi asking Futaba "well what would you do if the person you liked turned out to like someone else" right when Futaba came to her for love advice MIGHT be interpreted as "I like you and here you are, asking me to support your love for someone else"
With the tone of the conversation, can it be interpreted as anything else? And if it's unrelated, then what would be the point of them talking about this out of nowhere? Unless Natsumi's unrequited love is introduced fairly soon to tie in this conversation, this can only be about Futaba.

And the whole chapter honestly read as another one of "unrequited love that I let go" one-shots on Dynasty. Add a page of reminiscing about the good old days that you can't go back to, a couple more melancholic facial expressions, and one or two relevant thought bubbles from Natsu and it's self-contained.

dnl

I think this chapter confirms that natsumi had a crush on futaba. She has accepted that its one sided and has chosen to support futaba.

Dex-chan lover
I'm confused as to how you came to this conclusion. She's Futaba's best friend, they are close. At no point has there been any evidence that Natsumi is gay for Futaba. Thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking.
Honestly I am kind of confused how you didn't come to the conclusion, it has been hinted at in several chapters that she views her as more than just a friend, it also has been a discussion topic here quite a few times. For me this has been pretty much a confirmed thing for several chapters now:thonk:

Double-page supporter
So, this pretty much confirms that Natsumi has/had some lingering feelings for Futaba.
I'm pretty sure she is aware that Yuuto likes her, and idk if she likes him back the same way(could be that she sees it as a schoolboy crush and doesn't want to take it further atm).
Now the question is if she were to actually try and oppose Futaba and Takeda as a thing, given her question at the end and Futaba's answer. Personally doubt it since it would seem pretty ooc for her to actively try and get in the way of her friend's happiness. Though I can see her maybe deciding to confess to Futaba that she had(or still has) feelings for her in a sort of "worth a try" moment and get rejected with no hard feelings (well, maybe some tears on her end)

Dex-chan lover
Playing devil's advocate here, but Natsumi asking Futaba "well what would you do if the person you liked turned out to like someone else" right when Futaba came to her for love advice MIGHT be interpreted as "I like you and here you are, asking me to support your love for someone else"

Again, playing devil's advocate here.

If we were talking about high school era Futaba and Natsumi that we've seen, I might agree that there's some leeway there...

...But the mangaka has been setting up a pretty clear and long running interaction between Natsumi and Yuuto. I mean, go back to chapter 196 and look at her telling Yuuto that, "Fuuta and you are the only ones I've allowed in here.".

Now, personally, I don't think the mangaka is going to go full "Ara ara"/straight shota route because... it would be incredibly jarring to do so... but tell me with a straight face that the mangaka isn't planning and doesn't want to set up Yuuto and Natsumi together in some fashion later down the line. (Probably going with the slightly more ethical "I'll at least wait until he graduates high school" route)

Dex-chan lover
I mean for someone like me it would be a treat, if anyone is curious, google;

shiromanta kemono party

I knew about the yuri art, but it's surprising to see all the art of other characters, including multiple of Natsumi, that... uh... were "brushing their teeth and dribbled toothpaste all over" and "spilled copious amounts of very thick frosting all over themselves while nude."

Dex-chan lover
I feel like there's so much more to mine for character development with Natsumi. Wouldn't mind a spin-off with her, even if it's only a volume or two.

Double-page supporter
If we were talking about high school era Futaba and Natsumi that we've seen, I might agree that there's some leeway there...

...But the mangaka has been setting up a pretty clear and long running interaction between Natsumi and Yuuto. I mean, go back to chapter 196 and look at her telling Yuuto that, "Fuuta and you are the only ones I've allowed in here.".

Now, personally, I don't think the mangaka is going to go full "Ara ara"/straight shota route because... it would be incredibly jarring to do so... but tell me with a straight face that the mangaka isn't planning and doesn't want to set up Yuuto and Natsumi together in some fashion later down the line. (Probably going with the slightly more ethical "I'll at least wait until he graduates high school" route)
Yeah, this makes sense. I think this could be some lead up towards Natsumi getting closure on her unrequited feelings for Futaba and maybe being able to move forward with Yuuto in the future.

Dex-chan lover
Gv7zPOB.jpeg
BANANA HAMSTER LMAO

Dex-chan lover
I kinda like Natsumi being in the middle, alone. setting the tone that not everyone can be happy (like me)

Dex-chan lover
I really can't see it as anything other than "Natsumi has crushed on Futaba since middle school due to her being the only person who didn't eventually leave her due to her attitude and personality (she is convinced her personality sucks, IIRC), but she gave up on that crush a long time ago but is also still holding onto it. +Yuuto is a stand-in for the role Futaba used to play, and I'm not convinced that she has any feelings for him outside of using him as a placeholder.

Sure, you can reference 196, but in 197 she spends the whole chapter talking about Futaba, with clear subtext that it wasn't just those panels where she was talking about her, and Yuuto even thinks to himself that she may like Futaba as more than just best friends.

Then we look back at chapter 121. Not much here, except that Natsumi has her fingernails painted yellow, like usual. Except one is painted green, like Futaba's hair. Her left. ring. finger.

Also the tags on the latest pixiv post are pretty indicative. "想いをひた隠しにする親友の話" Like, COME ON. My best attempt at a smooth translation of this is "A story about hiding your feelings from your best friend at all costs". There are other ones like 「早く告れば良い後輩の話」which I don't really have the expertise to translate properly (hayaku kokurebaii [or kokurebayoi, but probably the former], the 告れば良い gives me trouble. 告れば is the hypothetical form of a slang for "confess (love)", but ~ば良い can mean different things than just "if". Any native speakers would be great to give a couple possible translations of 早く告れば良い後輩.

I rest my case. Natsumi is a closeted bisexual (or lesbian since we find out that she never brought anyone back to her apartment, and also I honestly don't remember if they ever mention sex at any point, but I don't think they do) who is still holding onto a crush that she has on Futaba since middle school, and Yuuto is just a surrogate for Futaba.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread