Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi - Ch. 216

Fed-Kun's army
I still need to properly read Usagi Drop. My current feeling is that nearly everyone that spazzes out about the manga's developments are annoying and meme-addicted, so it's probably not terrible.

Even the main character was blindsided by the ending. For most of the manga, it was built up that Rin was going to end up with her childhood friend and Daikichi (MC) was getting together with childhood friend's single mom, which might be a bit weird, but still completely okay IMO, but then...

It was revealed a bit later that Rin wasn't related to him at all. She was the abandoned daughter of his grandpa's female caregiver and his grandpa accepted people's assumptions about him having an affair with her to lessen the kid's societal burdens. It can be assumed she developed a father complex because the only parental figures who sincerely cared about her were MC and his grandpa. He didn't answer her confession in the final chapter but gave her 3 years to think everything over before asking again, if she still wanted to.

Either your vendetta is active enough that you revamped this meme, or this is an "actual problem"* western anime/manga fans** have. That said, you might have accidentally conflated your "cool"s-- Natsumi's a cool girl, but she's not クール, y'know? Maybe I'm just biased because she wears yellow-- maybe I'm colorist...

Lol you got me, but I admit my "vendetta" about the subject is because most of the manga I've consumed since I was a kid was romance (Morinaga Ai, Yuu Watase, Nakayoshi stuff, etc.) and I've seen this particular song and dance waaaaay too much. The "Yuri False Rival" is a cheap trope to introduce relationship drama with (apparently) zero consequences, and Japanese romance writers use it a lot.

Also yeah, I don't know how else to put it. I'm using "cool" to refer to a particular type of personality where the character seems like they're too perfect but is actually maintaining a dignified front when it comes to their real emotions. They can be tomboyish, kuudere, feminine, ojousama, governess type, or anything else, but when they're there you can see it.

Another recent example is Akira from "My Dress-Up Darling". The moment she's introduced and everybody was going "woah she's so tall", "a cool beauty", "so mysterious", and she was revealed as having non-stereotypically feminine interests (woah, she makes armor cosplay and weapon props!), also the fact that she says she "hates" Marin and can't be in the same room as her I instantly thought "she's actually attracted to her and nervous when she's around." Lo and behold, it's true.

I guess the simplest explanation is, a female character that doesn't completely fit the Japanese feminine stereotype is prone to be subjected to this trope. IDK what even to call them, "Cool Beauty"? "Queer-Coded"? As I recall Seiya Kou from Sailor Moon fits this trope too so it's pretty old.

*Any literary device can be good if it's executed well, but I wasn't wild about this development because I pegged this manga as a collection of vignettes about uncomplicated (if not straightforward) romances. It's a bit embarrassing to admit, but I was also anxious about this development because the same people that were adamant on Natsumi having an unrequited crush on Futaba were also insisting that she was trying to use Yuuto as a replacement-- and they wouldn't even react to that idea, as if that's not pretty disgusting in at least real life.
**I'm not trying to be derogatory this time-- I just don't know if anime/manga fans in other contexts are of the same mind because I don't frequent such online forums.

Yeah honestly the reason I commented on here is because I was seeing this development happening from waaaaaay back and I've been hoping the author would at the very least make Natsumi confess to Futaba before she gets with Takeda-senpai so she could clear things up and get emotional closure to actually move on, but nope! Gotta lie by omission and bottle up those emotions so you can string along the people who are actually in love with you! Like a true Japanese romance character! It's all so tiresome.

And no sweat man, IDK what online forum culture about this stuff is either. I literally made this account just to comment on this because it's the most annoying (heh) part about this manga for me.

I know Lokifreak stank like shit and he got the Japan dick in his mouth goddamn

Group Leader
Lots of Twitter users here who are 216 chapters into a series about a girl who looks like a 12 y/o trying to get with someone twice her size, yet complaining about a boy who looks like a 12 y/o trying to get with someone twice his size. Yuuto is like 17 and about as mature as Natsumi is. Who cares.

Aggregator gang
turn around the roles, if you are ok with one but not the other...

aRebI9Y.png

Girl really just said "youre pretty mature for your age" bro what the actual fuck

Dex-chan lover
Mfs really out here posting paragraphs about grooming on a manga site about fictional characters… yall got nothing better to do?

Dex-chan lover
Girl really just said "youre pretty mature for your age" bro what the actual fuck
What she actually said: "You're not childish, Yuuto-kun./You're more mature than I am."

Related dialogue: "I still haven't become a proper adult, have I?" (Natsumi, p.3, ch. 197-- in fact, everything from ch. 197 is related).

Your brain is a Skinner box.

Fed-Kun's army
Mfs really out here posting paragraphs about grooming on a manga site about fictional characters… yall got nothing better to do?
If you're referring to me, I was literally talking about getting tired of tomboy characters being used for unrequited yuri.

I know attention spans are dropping around the world but use your damn eyes.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
She really and I mean REALLY needs to stop being around Futaba or she will never get over her problem and just keep using people.

Double-page supporter
Natsumi prioritized her own feelings instead of focusing on appreciating Futaba's happiness but Yuuto prioritized Natsumi's feelings instead of focusing on himself.

It's beautiful that Natsumi noticed this and rewarded Yuuto for caring about her feelings.
So leading him on because she doesn't want to be alone.

Users who are viewing this thread