Shiori Experience: My Plain Self and an Odd Old Man - Vol. 10 Ch. 46 - JACK in!

Aaaah this is just too good! That spread when Mitsuoka casting her magic back to Subaru is just too much for my heart :'|

Dex-chan lover
that song hit really hard, Subaru opened her eyes back to her high school form.

Fed-Kun's army
as stated in earlier posts, leaving alone the difficulty in composing mind blowing music for scenes like the concert depicted here, too many legal obstacles to ever see this animated- estates of cobain, joplin, james brown to deal with and particularly prince and jimi hendrix's estates are famously guarded and litigious. unfortunately it can't even approach wishful thinking- it's as close to impossible as can be. playing their songs while reading will have to do.

in the meantime, trumpet cover of "love is over"-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr_qRo-yQSM

Dex-chan lover
One of the BEST chaps yet.

The transitions between the artists were so good it made the manga feel animated.

Subaru being a tsundere and cutting her protege free brings up so many feels and the fact that she herself picks up the trumpet again just makes the moment that much better.

Double-page supporter
Glad I picked this underrated gem.

This manga isn't just some light read... It is truly an Experience. Just like Hendrix.

Fed-Kun's army
This chapter gave me shivers, shivers... Such a good manga. Iā€™m so glad that I was in the right time and place to encounter and read this series

Dex-chan lover
all the years reading this severely underappreciated manga, it feels like our dedication was rewarded with this chapter. huge thanks to dropout (and CAT, the former scanlation team) for bringing us this far.

along the way, they let the main arc of Shiori needing to become a legend or die before she turns 28 fade into the background. bringing it back at the end of what feels like a truly legendary performance is such a great touch. it reminds us that this is only the beginning, and that the band only getting better. i cant believe how excited i am for the next volume.

Awesome (literal) camera work on pages 6-12. A one-shot long take where he was walking backwards half the time.

Double-page supporter
@Mweeheehee

I think they can get around licensing by just using covers of the songs. Getting a cover license (in America at least) is really easy and the artist/estate cannot refuse according to this article: https://flypaper.soundfly.com/hustle/how-to-legally-cover-a-song/

No idea how cover rights work internationally (particularly Japan).

Honestly the only part where this would be a "problem" is in the montage where Shiori is listening to all that music to write her own song. MOST of the performances of famous music in the manga are not done by the original artists. Even when the spirit Jacks into the character, I'm pretty sure it's the character we hear singing.

However we still have the problem of writing believably "mind blowing music."

EDIT: Nevermind, I did more research, it's more complicated than that. Looks like it'll need more work even to "cover" the music in a anime.

Dex-chan lover
the year's only one month old, but I feel confident in calling this a contender for chapter of the year.

Holy fucking shit this is going to be my favorite chapter, thank you so much for providing a translation

I am 100% confident in saying that this is one of the BEST manga chapters Iā€™ve ever read. Absolutely beautiful. The way the manga was able to build up to this one moment into a awesome color page made me tear up and make me let out an audible ā€œYEAH!ā€

This is a shining example of why I love manga so much.

I have no clue what ā€œJack Inā€ would sound like, but after this chapter I absolutely know what it FEELS like.

Users who are viewing this thread