Show the scores/rating of a manga over time i.e. how it was in the past

Hello,

what do you think about implementing a feature to visualize the manga's rating changes over time on a graph? Ideally, the graph would include markers indicating when each chapter was uploaded (including deleted chapters), allowing for a visual correlation. This would offer a more detailed perspective on the rating.

Here are a few examples where it's very useful:
  • If you're considering reading a manga, you might want to quickly skim through its highlights. With this feature, you could just look at where the rating peaked and look at which chapter it was (if chapter releases are also plotted). In my case, I only want to read manga with satisfying endings. Currently, I have to skim through the final chapters. However, with this feature, I'd only need to check for rating drops around the time these chapters were released.
  • Some mangas have slow or bad starts, causing many users to quickly drop them and assign low ratings. So, when these mangas later on improve significantly, their rating could be skewed due to those initial low ratings. Observing their rating over time could give potential readers a better understanding of its actual quality. This also applies to great mangas with disappointing endings. Despite being "hated" by the community, they maintain relatively high ratings due to users who rated them highly without finishing them, either due to being put on hold or forgotten.

A few things also worth considering:
  • Maybe include a feature to calculate the average rating within specific timeframes. This would be helpful e.g. if you encounter low ratings for the first few chapters (e.g. from genre-specific haters) and wish to obtain a more "authentic" rating by excluding that timeframe.
  • You could consider making this feature optional and would extend the information you get when hovering over the rating with an additional graph.
  • It might be beneficial to also plot the number of people who dropped the manga over time (especially to make it possible to deduce whether a rating drop in the first few chapters is because of haters or because of a genuinely bad start)

Obviously, this feature wouldn't be very useful in cases when mangas get all their chapters uploaded at once. But as these aren't common, I do believe that it could be quite useful.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

TGN

Dex-chan lover
At that point, just have each chapter have its own independent rating. You'd still be able to see peaks and troughs in the story, while probably being less hassle to save

Double-page supporter
At that point, just have each chapter have its own independent rating.

Too bad this "individual rating" won't work. People are lazy. They don't even bother to rank entire series, why do you think they would rank individual chapters?

Let's take relatively popular series like https://mangadex.org/title/e1e38166-20e4-4468-9370-187f985c550e/
132k followers but only ~10k rankers. That's about 8%. Statistics says that ~10% more or less represent generic opinion of something. But let's assume same ratio for individual chapters. Do you believe 0.5% (8% of 8%) will represent real "quality" of any specific chapter?

Dex-chan lover
But let's assume same ratio for individual chapters. Do you believe 0.5% (8% of 8%) will represent real "quality" of any specific chapter?
Even 8% seems to be quite generous. Take JJK on MAL as an example. They have threads where you can rate individual episodes. There are around 1.5M people who rated the entire show, but only 3k who rated ep 1 and 8k who rated the final ep.

Contributor
Imo, chapter rating is bad, even more when you have several TL group like in mangadex's case.

But, I think the first idea is good. Also, doing something like on steam, having the chapter's volume (on Steam number of hours played) when the rating was done can be a good idea.

At that point, just have each chapter have its own independent rating.
As the others have said: chapter ratings can only work when enough users rate it. But that is obviously cumbersome for most readers to give a rating after each chapter. I also believe that these ratings wouldn't be authentic anymore. For an at least somewhat reliable rating, you'd need all readers on the whole spectrum (from those who love it to those who hate it) to have the same drive to give a rating, and do that consistently for each chapter. The only way to achieve that would be to insert a pop-up after each chapter to force users to rate it. I think, I don't even need to say how detrimental this function would be...

I'd probably need to think more about this, but I also believe that chapter ratings would only give you a localized picture, instead of a general one. And both pieces of information would result in at least a somewhat different deduction.
So, just plotting the overall rating over time, as I've suggested, would provide more reliable information without even the need of more work from readers.

Last edited:
Contributor
Chapter rating would be a horrible idea as there is already so much needless drama and griefing in the scamlation world. Being able to individually rate chapters would just introduce another avenue of abuse.

Power Uploader
I don't think it would help any. Look at most manga that started off great, then went down the shitter. Most of them still have pretty high ratings. I think 99% of people (that bother to rate at all) do so based on the first couple of chapters, then never update their rating afterwards.

Dex-chan lover
Could I also add my 2 cents and ask if there maybe could be 2 different ratings for manga quality and translation quality?

Contributor
Could I also add my 2 cents and ask if there maybe could be 2 different ratings for manga quality and translation quality?
Once again, would just introduce another avenue of abuse.

"Translation quality" would have to be a chapter metric, which griefers will abuse. "Manga quality", depending on what exactly you are trying to refer to, could be a title level (what we have today) or chapter level (highly likely to be abused).

Have you ever visited a product or service page online and wondered how its ratings have evolved over time? Wouldn't it be fascinating to see how manga's ratings have changed over some period of time? I believe that adding a time-chart next to the ratings on your site would bring many benefits to users, creators and the website developers themselves.

We as the users could see how the rating of our favorite mangas change over time. Whether due to some events, such as anime being released, which often makes the ratings skyrocket (justified or not) or seeing the rise or fall of interest regarding our long forgotten by a wider public manga that has finished releasing, and how it has endured it's score over time after it's grand final when the hype died down.

Creators, on the other hand, could see how the release of specific chapters of their manga influenced user ratings and compare it with releases of previous chapters having a wider perspective.

And the developers of the site. They could monitor the review bombing more easily thus better control it and enforce remedial measures.

I hope you will consider this suggestion and implement it sooner or later as it would bring many benefits for everyone.

Dex-chan lover
I'm coming back to this because I feel like it would be good for some way to track who is reviewing what particularly since I'm a manhwa reader and I've noticed a surge of 3-4 star ratings on practically all recently added manhwa with an english translation. It's gotten to the point of somewhat ridiculous since I have to go straight to comments to check the actual quality of the work while ignoring the user review score because it's just that useless when checking a recently added series. I just want to know if it's just a collective group mass review bombing or legitimate reviews!

Users who are viewing this thread