Shuukan Shounen Hachi - Vol. 5 Ch. 38 - I Am Right Here

Dex-chan lover
And the Yaoi fans go wild.

Prediction for the future. Mike and Yasaka work together with Mike taking the lead on art and Yasaka is his assistant and has the lead on story stuff. Bakuman all over again.

Power Uploader
@Enderzone Just hearing the words "Mikeya", "Hachi" and "lead" in the same sentence sounds lewd now. What have you done, Masuda.

Oh, and am I the only one who finds it weird that Myaako is also an A-rank − so at worst she started in the B rank like Alice − and no one ever mentions her?

Dex-chan lover
And then they fucked.

But seriously, the passion and frenetic pace of those shots were just so good.

Remember when Hachi had no talent, and worried that even if he gave it his best it wouldn't he wouldn't see any results? And everyone else agreed that he had no talent, but that that was somehow charming in its own way?

Yeah, that whole thing just went away at some point, and now he's just a standard shounen protagonist.
"He's getting better every page!"
"There's no way he's a D-rank."

I wonder if Masuda had to speed everything up because it wasn't doing well or something. I'm still enjoying this so far, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Jitsu wa Watashi wa.
Jitsu wa set a really good pace with character and relationship developments. Things happened slowly, and there were plenty of joke chapters to cushion the emotional moments, but the gradual build up really made the payoffs feel rewarding. It was a genuinely funny romantic comedy that knew when to get serious, and could really pack an emotional punch at times.

This though. When this started it felt like it was addressing the generic philosophies found in shounen sports manga, and bringing in a dose of reality at times along with a fair share wacky hijinks to keep things light.
Right now we have just a generic feel good shounen about the main character putting in the most effort and being amazing while everyone helps out because of how much they love him and how they want to see his "true potential". It just feels like we've skipped about 50 chapters of buildup at this point.

Contributor
And then, they will both loose the contest to a third party who will Rekt them, MMW.

And they will see they're still nowhere near pro.

Dex-chan lover
Damn. Now I can't wait for the result, although I have a feeling that Hachi should lose hard this turn to rebuild everything on scratch.

Group Leader
I hate it when I'm drawing and another artists begins crossing pens and hands with me like that! It's so annoying when it happens!

Jokes aside, the feeling of improvement as you draw is real. You never feel like you've reached the level you want, so you're constantly trying to up yourself and keep improving even if you don't realize it yourself. This is something all artists who put the effort and draw constantly experience, albeit a lot less dramatically.

I think what happened this chapters wasn't a huge "power up" of sorts for Hachi, I think this just furthers displays his massive potential. Again, the only reason that Hachi just made a massive passionate manga is because he had so much help. He's no where NEAR being able to do something like this himself, whereas Mikeya can do this by himself he just wanted a bunch of A-Rankers as assistants to further refine his creation. Hachi completely needed their help to even "possibly" succeed. After this, he will most definitely lose, but he still has a lot more growing to do.

VIP
hachi skill starting to get acknowledgement.. not as an inborn talent to draw and make story, but lot of dedication, amazing speed of adaptation, and willing to improvement!

Power Uploader
@Crosonical What changed was Hachi's mindset, plain and simple. At the beginning he only whined about having no talent, and refused any kind of advice. He was just flailing around with no proper skill or direction. Notice that he started to improve when he actually started listening to people and learning from them instead of shutting himself in his little emo bubble.

Right now he's in the early stages, when you feel like you improve at mach speed through sheer motivation, and that's what this chapter conveys. Everyone's had that feeling at least once before. It's been noted from the start that Hachi does have strengths, just not the same kind as Mikeya. And that he has that ability to motivate other people.

Now what will be interesting is how Hachi will feel after that high.

Dex-chan lover
Calling it. Hachi's story is better but the presentation is still lacking compared to Mikeya. Mikeya leaves for the big leagues but still checks up on Hachi from time to time.

Dex-chan lover
Probably not the only one that audibly went "wow" at page 15. The buildup to it was great, and the page, despite (or because of) the simplicity was just... oof. Good shit. This hits a lot of Shounen tropes, but who cares, it's so well drawn. xd

Users who are viewing this thread