Sincerely: I Became a Duke's Maid - Vol. 1 Ch. 12

@luckpack I don't think she's that old. If you're talking about maturity then she would obviously be more mature considering she isekai-d into the world of a novel that she had read already. She knows the future and is behaving like a character that got reincarnated into this novel for the sole purpose of making life easier for Alejandro. You can't really call her old because of that.

@luckpack
I think that the art style is a little misleading in regards to the characters ages. In chapter 2 it mentions that Alexandro is 13 years old and chapter 5 mentions that Ibelina is now 16-17 (disregarding her previous life). But Alexandro is often drawn as if he is 5 years old instead of 13. A three year age gap is a lot more palatable to me. I think of it more as a kid having a crush on his teenage babysitter. Having said that, all the romantic scenes with Ibelina and baby looking Alexandro are kinda squicky to me too. I would be uncomfortable with any real romance happening in the story any time soon. If a time skip happened and Alexandro was 19 to Ibelina's 22-23, I would be okay with any romance happening then.

Group Leader
HOW DO WE GET MORE?
HOW CAN I GET MORE
I NEED MORE
THIS IS MORE ADDICTING THEN ANY DRUGS OUT THERE
GIVE ME SOMETHING TO REAAAAAAD

THANK YOU!!!!!! 😭😭😭 IT'S BLESSING 😭😭😭😭 THANK YOU FOR UPLOAD ALL THIS CHAPTERS 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Thank you for the mass update! I got serious sweetness and heartbreak whiplash from this chapter. 😭Poor baby boy needs self-love as much as unconditional love.

And to reiterate what others pointed out:

1-Alejandro is 13 (Ch. 2 & 10) and Ibelina is 16-17 (Ch. 5). Alejandro looks younger because of the curse (Ch. 3).

2-Even before being isekai'd, the female lead wasn't that old to begin with. She looks to be a high school student, judging by her appearance and the fact she has a school bag hanging in her room.

3-Ibelina does not look at Alejandro in a romantic way and initiate ship moments. When they happen, they're either an accident—which Ibelina doesn't react romantically to—or initiated by Alejandro. Alejandro is the only one having a crush right now, which is pretty normal for his age and considering his circumstance. The one time Ibelina sees Alejandro in a more romantically-coded setting is in her dream and when he's older. Even then, she doesn't have any romantic symptoms. She's not helping him now so she can date him when he's older.

4-The whole wife-husbandry trope doesn't necessarily mean grooming or that the trope is inherently bad (look at Violet Evergreen, though note Violet's de-aged by three years in the anime). It's not for everyone and the trope can be handled poorly. It depends on the context and how things plays out. Personally, I see Ibelina as more a nurse or babysitter than surrogate parent to Alejandro—a big sister figure of sorts (I'm thinking of Nike and Livi from The World Is Still Beautiful).

@DramaJustCalled I completely agree.

When it comes to age difference in manga it should be five or less for couples younger than 18 and if they are both over 18 then age shouldn't play as big a factor.

@Darkmint13: Yeah, age gaps don't really bother me except for a few specific instances. I only reiterate Ibelina's lack of romantic feelings because it's quite normal for a 16/17 year old not to see a 13 year old in a romantic light and no one was taking into account Ibelina's feelings when talking about the ship.

@DramaJustCalled I definitely agree with all of the points you made.

I think that age gaps bother me particularly when the couple is in different life stages. Like, a child with a young adult or a teenager with a middle aged adult, or a young adult and an elderly person. (not that all of these examples are morally wrong, just that it bothers me a bit personally.) Sometimes I have to stop to remind myself that Alexandro is not a 5 year old and Ibelina is not a 20 year old in the story, because Alexandro looks and acts younger than his age and Ibelina looks and acts pretty mature for a 16 year old.

Users who are viewing this thread