Site Update - Custom Themes!

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
A new site update just went live and brings custom themes!
:wow:

You can now (almost) entirely customise the colours used across the website by selecting the "Custom" theme from the profile dropdown menu.
You can then share those themes with your friends (and foes) to preview or use themselves!
In the coming days, we will make a forum thread to share your favourite themes, and we'll be holding a contest to find the best ones to add as official themes.
Feel free to play around with this new feature while you wait.

Themes aside, this release also updates the seasonal titles list for the Summer 2023 anime season, and fixes a couple of bugs:
  • On mobile PWA mode, some buttons had missing labels
  • On mobile Safari, the left sidebar was missing the MangaDex logo/wordmark in some situations
  • On the settings page, the table of contents had an unwanted white square artifact on some browsers
  • On the reader menu chapter dropdown, a chapter could wrongfully show up on its own under "Volume null" in some situations
Until next time
:yots:

Last edited:
Group Leader
Oh, this is absolutely great! I've been waiting custom themes to be a thing. Just one minor thing, though. Is it possible to have an option to change a button's text color? Would be useful in times where pastels are used instead of vibrant colors.

ufxxOaq.png

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Any chance of this feature coming to the forum as well? I'd be nice to be able to use the forum for more than a few minutes at a time without my eyes hurting from it.

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
Any chance of this feature coming to the forum as well? I'd be nice to be able to use the forum for more than a few minutes at a time without my eyes hurting from it.
Probably not. It's not trivial to set up alas on our site already, so the forum (which isn't our own) might prove even trickier. For now you'll have to live the forum's style.

Dex-chan lover
Probably not. It's not trivial to set up alas on our site already, so the forum (which isn't our own) might prove even trickier. For now you'll have to live the forum's style.
Ah, that's a shame. Honestly, I'd be happy to even have a simple light mode. Dark modes just hurt my eyes after only a few minutes.

Dex-chan lover
Is there a time limit for it before it reverts back to the original colors in custom? :nyoron:
I can't find a way to save, and it seems to refresh after a few pages....and then the orange color scheme returns.

OIC it now! I gotta tinker with this a bit. :meguu:

Last edited:
Group Leader
I have a couple of questions about themes:
  • The inactive tab names seem to be uncustomizable; is there a technical limitation like with buttons?
  • Will there eventually be a way to change the "role" colors, e.g. change the green variant used for power uploaders, the blue for group leaders, etc.?
  • It is not immediately noticeable where the translucent/transparent colors are used, would it be possible to add an example like other elements?

Dex-chan lover
Any chance the forum's theme could get revamped based on the most popular main site user created themes? :nyoron:
I suppose while making the forum software fully customizable by the general community isn't feasible or practical,
the dev team could change the color themes if desired though. (Orange can't be the default XenForo color theme...)

Not that i have anything against orange and black though... 🐅:meguu:

VIP
Any chance the forum's theme could get revamped based on the most popular main site user created themes? :nyoron:
I suppose while making the forum software fully customizable by the general community isn't feasible or practical,
the dev team could change the color themes if desired though. (Orange can't be the default XenForo color theme...)

Not that i have anything against orange and black though... 🐅:meguu:
The forum themes are a complete mess at the moment, but I don't think adding new fixed colors to the forums would be an issue at all once all the variable spaghetti gets straightened out...

Damn, RIP. May I suggest custom CSS input instead? For now, I'll just make do with Stylus.
Fully custom CSS was possible at one point in time (albeit unintentionally) and is a security issue; I'm not sure if @AlexEliot would like to put in the effort to sanitize user CSS considering the effort made to move away from encoding raw CSS in the first place :dogkek:

Abolish Harems
Staff
Developer
Damn, RIP. May I suggest custom CSS input instead? For now, I'll just make do with Stylus.
Sorry, custom CSS will not be allowed due to security issues. If you really want to go through such effort, you may as well make your own custom CSS and apply the styles to the site via a userscript.

Unread chapters are using Status Blue instead of Indication Blue, which doesn't seem to have a use.

The only blue status I can think of is completed status...:nyoron:
The little blue strip next to the eye icon uses the same color as the completed status, instead of its own individual color. I assume Indication Blue is supposed to control the color strip, but it may be bugged.

Users who are viewing this thread